Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paddy Clarke's Museum?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I remember as a kid being brought to Paddy Clarke's RTE museum in 1982, and it started my love of all things retro broadcasting.

I won his little quiz at the end of the tour by answering his question 'who invented TV?' by answering John Logie Baird (well, it was actually Filo Farnsworth, but sin sceal eile) and got to have my photo took with a manikin of Charles Mitchell at the news desk.

What ever happened to it and the man? Some of his collection ended up in the Cork Gaol museum, I recognised some of the exhibits.

I still have the tour guide of exhibits from his museum taken from my trip as a kid - I'll scan it if anyone's interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I won his little quiz at the end of the tour by answering his question 'who invented TV?' by answering John Logie Baird (well, it was actually Filo Farnsworth, but sin sceal eile) and got to have my photo took with a manikin of Charles Mitchell at the news desk.

Numerous people invented the Television. The American place the invention of the Television with Filo Farnsworth. I think the Germans believe it to be someone else.

The other part of your story sounds a bit creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Elmo wrote: »
    Numerous people invented the Television. The American place the invention of the Television with Filo Farnsworth. I think the Germans believe it to be someone else.
    Television as we know it today, i.e. CRT & electrical scanning, was the invention of Filo Farnsworth.

Logie Bairds TV used mechanical scanning and was primitive steam-punk compared to Filo Farnsworth's TV.

Television as we know it today, i.e. CRT & electrical scanning, was the invention of Filo Farnsworth.

Logie Bairds TV used mechanical scanning and was primitive steam-punk compared to Filo Farnsworth's TV.

Research and Development at the time would not lead me to believe that either men were responsible for the invention of the TV rather it was a consistent build up to the invention that lead both Baird and Farnsworth to their "inventions".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Elmo wrote: »
    Research and Development at the time would not lead me to believe that either men were responsible for the invention of the TV rather it was a consistent build up to the invention that lead both Baird and Farnsworth to their "inventions".
    Not really, read up on the history.

They were both developing their respective systems in tandem.

In the 1930's BBC had to decide between the Baird-Marconi and Farnsworth-RCA system and initially trialed both systems in tandem with live broadcasts from their Crystal Palace studios.

The RCA system was capable of transmitting live TV, whereas Baird's system first recorded onto conventional film and was then transmitted using a crude early telecine method using a lot of dangerous chemicals in the process.

Not really, read up on the history.

They were both developing their respective systems in tandem.

In the 1930's BBC had to decide between the Baird-Marconi and Farnsworth-RCA system and initially trialed both systems in tandem with live broadcasts from their Crystal Palace studios.

The RCA system was capable of transmitting live TV, whereas Baird's system first recorded onto conventional film and was then transmitted using a crude early telecine method using a lot of dangerous chemicals in the process.

Yes but how did they come to their conclusions from what other works were they testing and developing? I would not give the invention of the TV to any one man either Baird or Farnsworths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement