Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FindMyPast

Options
  • 12-02-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I'm sure many of us here have used Findmypast.ie. I discovered that Origins.net is being folded into their company which is great news given they have a treasure trove of gap-filling records.

If you got to origins.net at the moment there's a special offer which gives you a month of world records on findmypast.co.uk for £1 stg.

It only seems to redeem on findmypast.co.uk but it's a great deal.

The trick to getting at the extra records is do the free search on origins.net to see what record sets your target is covered by and then search for that record set on findmypast.co.uk and repeat the name search there.

There's a Dublin city survey from 1851 that I'd never seen before up there which was mind blowing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

...There's a Dublin city survey from 1851 that I'd never seen before up there which was mind blowing!

I think they bundled the map from this with the Eneclann 1851 census extracts CD, very detailed and includes building numbers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Yeah, it's the heads of households from the 1851 census, valuable obv since the 19thC censuses were destroyed.

One to watch for those interested in US genealogy, they just announced a partnership with the New York Genealogical & Biographical Society for their digitized content. Now, their stuff is mostly blue blood, old colonial stuff, but they do have some gems in there of use to Irish researchers. More broadly, this could be the business model they are going for over here, targeting the regional old school genealogy organizations with lots of localized records. If they get into bed with the New England Genealogical & Biographical society then that would be good for those with Boston/Mass/New England Irish ancestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

That's great news. I hope they buy out RootsIreland. There's good data on that and where once it was easy to search but hideously expensive now it's on a subscription price you can't search by surname alone. It's an essential database for building pre-civil registration links.

Advertisement