Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How pregnancy happens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are other stickies which give information and if this educates and lessens the number of OMG am I pregger threads and pms then it it a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thaedydal wrote:
    There are other stickies which give information and if this educates and lessens the number of OMG am I pregger threads and pms then it it a good thing.
    I'd be surprised if knowing about the existence of a seminal pool, or that if the egg chooses the sperm will prevent any "OMG am I pregger" threads. Granted though - if it prevents one it's worth it.

Perhaps a sticky on contraception...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dont get me wrong Thaedydal, I understand what you are trying to achieve and its good. Maybe this is something that can be expanded on. Maybe getting a bonafida doctor in that area to provide some down-to-earth blurb to stick in the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

irish-stew wrote:
    although some pro life groups take the moral stance that the zygote formed at fertilisation is when life/pregnacy starts, the medical arguement that its implantation that is required to maintain it
    The question of when life starts and when pregnancy starts are two different ones with different sets of implications. Pregnancy is the condition a woman is in when her body is reacting the implantation. Whether that counts as life or not is another matter.
    faceman wrote:
    true, but its told unnecessary me by 2 fictional extremist stereotypes who's personality has a part to play in the story telling.
    If you can do a better job then there's nothing stopping you.

The fact is that it's engaging and also conveys a lot of information that people keep asking about or else demonstrating that they have the wrong end of the stick about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shadow_2070

:) ... very informative ... I wonder if the Department of Education would consider it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Talliesin wrote:
    If you can do a better job then there's nothing stopping you.
    :confused:
    wrote:
    The fact is that it's engaging and also conveys a lot of information that people keep asking about or else demonstrating that they have the wrong end of the stick about.

It can be engaging without the stereotyping sexism.

Look, no one is knocking its informative nature, what I, and some of my boardsies feel, is that the piece is sexist in its portrayal of men. Now while most of us here are of a mature age and can take the sexist piece with a pinch of salt, we're not really the target audience. The target audience i would imagine is the younger pubescent type. Why should young boys see themselves typified by a sexist sterotype? What message is that giving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Reminds me of the opening squence of some film like American pie or the girl next door .The penis guy is a right knobhead he he ..

Are you telling me that most young males do know all that information ?
    As it stands the clip is grond breaking and informative.

If you want to talk about if it is sexit or sterotypical start a thread in humanites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ground breaking???

In any case, I don't recall seeing all that many threads in PI asking about the biological process of getting pregnant, and I don't see how detailed information like that is relevant to this forum. There's no information about contraception in that video and the only Personal Issues related content in it is vaguely dispelling a few myths such as not being able to get pregnant after first time sex.

A thread with a few bullet pointed facts about pregnancy and contraception would be a good idea rather than this sexist pop-biology video.

Also, you said it would reduce the amount of "OMG I'm Preggers" threads on here. How exactly will this help anyone who is already pregnant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JabberJaws

So now, if you have kids...just play this for them when the time comes to explaining birds and bees....:-p HA!

• Advertisement

No.

Sex eduction should not be about THAT talk but a series of converstaion between children and their parents about reproduction in the world around them and the differences between boys and girls and how they change into men and women and about where babies comes from and then about what sexual intercourse is.

http://www.crisispregnancy.ie/parentresource.html

Is a good place to start as it deals with the facts and how to talk to children about such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JabberJaws

I was kidding! My point was, you have to have a sense of humor a sometimes and not be so serious and timid... I find people listen more if you are more easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i learned something too

i didnt know the egg can pick the sperm

how cools that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You'd think if the egg can pick the sperm it could tell the ones that carry faulty gene's or disease/syndrome carrying genes to fo.

Though I know sfa about biology so there could very well be a good reason for this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

It's quite informative, witty, slick, and well targeted.
    It's also quite sexist. The constant putting down of the male character, along with the rather misleading "the egg then decides which sperm", which suggests some thought process (these are single haploid cells, not capable of thought, decision or even beating Jordan at a game of chess) suggests an element of empowerment to the female character. Ultimately, this is aimed at young women to whom this sexist slant is hardly likely to offend, and may even prove attractive by showing an empowered, intelligent and witty female character besting a dim and childish male one.
    It's a good piece of work, but hardly suitable for teaching guys. The weak male character will just turn them off and make it far less effective. It would be analogous to having Alex Ferguson teach women about putting on a condom. That said, most guys of the age at which this is aimed wouldn't be too interested in the topic anyway, so it's not really all that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's still a pretty stupid thing to be sticked at the top of PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

nastysimon wrote: »
    It would be analogous to having Alex Ferguson teach women about putting on a condom.

That would be the best thing ever. I'd wear a condom at all times if he did that!

That said, most guys of the age at which this is aimed wouldn't be too interested in the topic anyway, so it's not really all that important.

Eh don't think so, I would have been! I knew dick went in baby comes out but because our science teacher never covered it in junior cert it's only quite recently I learned the scientific detail.
    Guys are terrified of babies at that age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 wicklowmale

That was very good and easy to watch, i learnt a bit too. Excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

that was good - they should show that to the kids in schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Very funny but also very educating!

When can i catch this show on tv???? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

That vid was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Brilliant - send it to the schools cause some schools still dance around the topic! I'll never forget my biology teacher telling the class "and pregnancy doesn't happen straight away - trust me im a mother of 5"....but she never went into detail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

It's quite informative, witty, slick, and well targeted.
    It's also quite sexist. The constant putting down of the male character, along with the rather misleading "the egg then decides which sperm", which suggests some thought process (these are single haploid cells, not capable of thought, decision or even beating Jordan at a game of chess) suggests an element of empowerment to the female character. Ultimately, this is aimed at young women to whom this sexist slant is hardly likely to offend, and may even prove attractive by showing an empowered, intelligent and witty female character besting a dim and childish male one.
    It's a good piece of work, but hardly suitable for teaching guys. The weak male character will just turn them off and make it far less effective. It would be analogous to having Alex Ferguson teach women about putting on a condom. That said, most guys of the age at which this is aimed wouldn't be too interested in the topic anyway, so it's not really all that important.

I concur with the sexist slant. However its also slightly inaccurate as it states that you aren't pregnant until the embryo has implanted into the uterus.

A woman is not consider pregant until implantion occurs she may have concieved but is not considered pregnant until that happens.

you can be pregnant without the embryo implanting in the uterus.

No you can't that is not how medically pregnancy is measured.
    Post conception contraception does not end pregnancy.

Yes you can. Etopic pregnancy ?

Anyway the point of the thead is to explain how pregancy happens and I suppose the video does do it in a slightly biased way.

I've not mentioned contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Etopic pregnancy is where the embryo implants in the wrong place (fallopean tubes etc.).

Thaedydal is right when she says that normally you aren't considered pregnant until implantation.
    There is however some disagreement on this point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beginning_of_pregnancy_controversy, but in general most medical authorities choose implantation as their benchmark.

And certain religous agencys will say life/pregnancy begins at conception.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal is right when she says that normally you aren't considered pregnant until implantation.

I'm not contesting that. Infact that's what I said but i also pointed out that you can have an ectopic pregnancy.
    And certain religous agencys will say life/pregnancy begins at conception.

In my experience they say life begins at conception as opposed to pregnancy begins at conception otherwise why have 2 different terms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement