Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2600 -v- 22000 on Cork-Tralee discussion

Comments

Sending 2600s to Tralee again? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Karsini wrote: »
    Sending 2600s to Tralee again? :mad:

We've been through this before.

Several of the Tralee route services on Saturday, Sunday and Monday are 2600 operated due to one of the two Kerry 22k sets operating to Dublin from Tralee on Sunday and not getting back to Cork until the 21:00 from Heuston on Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

lxflyer wrote: »

Several of the Tralee route services on Saturday, Sunday and Monday are 2600 operated due to one of the two Kerry 22k sets operating to Dublin from Tralee on Sunday and not getting back to Cork until the 21:00 from Heuston on Sunday night.

The 2600 in question operates the 2055 Cork - Tralee Friday night and remains in Tralee for the 0455 Tralee - Cork Monday morning. It is normally spare on a Saturday, but was required today to operate some Tralee line services as the altered timetabled required three trains to operate it, normally it is two trains.

Since the timetable change one of the Kerry ICR's goes to Heuston on a Sunday with the 1150 Tralee - Heuston. This means there are three diagrams of 2600's on the Tralee line on Sunday.

1:
    2055 Cork - Tralee (Sat Night).
    0710 Tralee - Cork

2:
    1210 Cork - Tralee
    1510 Tralee - Mallow
    1725 Mallow - Tralee
    1915 Tralee - Cork

3:
    1845 Cork - Tralee
    2110 Tralee - Cork Empty.

Diagram two can often be a 4pce 2600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

could they not park the thing in Portlaoise and send a 22 out instead?

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    could they not park the thing in Portlaoise and send a 22 out instead?

Read my post again - one of the two locally based 22k sets that is usually on Mallow/Tralee operates an additional service to Dublin on Sundays from Tralee. As a result, to maintain the full service you end up with 2600s between Cork/Mallow and Tralee.

read mine again...instead of using the 2600, could they not park that out of service and re-instate a stored 22 in it's place?

read mine again...instead of using the 2600, could they not park that out of service and re-instate a stored 22 in it's place?

I've already told you - all of the stored 22k sets (approximately 4) are all being reinstated into service as the reformation process finishes.

I imagine that the cost of running that 22k all week on Cork local services would be much greater than running the 2600.

I do wonder frankly - do people just have any idea of the financial realities of the current situation in which the CIE group find themselves?

There is not enough money available to operate everything. That's the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I've already told you - all of the stored 22k sets (approximately 4) are all being reinstated into service as the reformation process finishes.

I imagine that the cost of running that 22k all week on Cork local services would be much greater than running the 2600.

I do wonder frankly - do people just have any idea of the financial realities of the current situation in which the CIE group find themselves?

There is not enough money available to operate everything. That's the bottom line.
    so people have to put up with 2600s on a long route such as cork/mallow tralee, great way to run a railway

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

exactly. If there is a spare 2600 in Cork, which there plainly must be, why not replace that with a 22. I doubt there would be much difference in the running costs

• Advertisement

exactly. If there is a spare 2600 in Cork, which there plainly must be, why not replace that with a 22. I doubt there would be much difference in the running costs
    i'd say the ICR would cost less, surely the newer MTU engine in the ICR is more fuel efficient then the 20 year old cummence NTA855 engine? also the 2600 running the cork tralee is probably a 4 piece whereas the ICR running it is probably a 3 piece so that would make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

But the poster is trying to tell you that there is no spare 22 to do this. Presumably, swapping it for an in service 22 is not suitable. EDIT: Possibly not suitable due in part to the running costs that have just been speculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

so people have to put up with 2600s on a long route such as cork/mallow tralee, great way to run a railway
    15-20 years ago, one had to put up with them on Cork-Dublin.

Victor wrote: »
    that doesn't surprise me one bit

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Victor wrote: »

Good God.What a horrible trip that must have been

That was at a time when we had not enough rolling stock and it was the only option for an extra service on Sundays. It was also a way of swapping the sets used on Cork/Cobh during the week.

The same applied to the Galway route. There was an extra 2600 service on Sundays for a period also.

bbk wrote: »
    But the poster is trying to tell you that there is no spare 22 to do this. Presumably, swapping it for an in service 22 is not suitable. EDIT: Possibly not suitable due in part to the running costs that have just been speculated.

there are 4 or so spare stored in Portlaoise at any given time.

That was at a time when we had not enough rolling stock and it was the only option for an extra service on Sundays. It was also a way of swapping the sets used on Cork/Cobh during the week.

The same applied to the Galway route. There was an extra 2600 service on Sundays for a period also.
    the reason we had a shortage was because the mark 2s were deliberately left to rot, had they not then 2600s wouldn't have been doing cork/galway, running commuter stock on long distance services is never exceptable, it puts off potential customers from the railway and first time customers don't come back.

there are 4 or so spare stored in Portlaoise at any given time.

Yes, that is what is understood but what was being said by the other user is that they are being reinstated into standard service as we speak so that is what I am wondering about.

bbk wrote: »
    Yes, that is what is understood but what was being said by the other user is that they are being reinstated into standard service as we speak so that is what I am wondering about.

how will they afford it when they can't afford it now?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

They can afford it because they will replace two Mark 4 sets which will go into storage.

We're getting way off topic here - really this discussion should be somewhere else!

To take your post minus the rollie eyes, what LX just said is something I have read a few times here so no need to get like that, it is not remotely constructive. There is a lot of repetition here for the casual observer like me.

Anyway, back to topic indeed, there is another thread running recently that can take the spill over.

The more colour coded hose pipes the better =)

They can afford it because they will replace two Mark 4 sets which will go into storage.

We're getting way off topic here - really this discussion should be somewhere else!

I agree but can't lt it pass...what jusitifcation is there for running long distance services with a a fairly old and unsutitable 2600 whilst storing nearly new Mk4s?

OK - There are two distinct issues here.

One - How IE have utilised the money that they invested, and whether the appropriate value was gained from it.

Two - What they can afford to do right now.

I think we can all agree the answer to question 1 - it's no it was not.

However, what you and others here seem to be not grasping is the severity of the financial situation in which the current management of the company find themselves.

We can all agree that from a broader perspective that it is not right for Mark 4 sets to be going into storage, but the plain fact of the matter that you and others seem to be ignoring is that right now they cannot afford to operate all of the trains at the moment. That's the situation that the current management face - the company (just like Dublin Bus) has serious financial issues that, if they are not addressed, could lead to the company going bankrupt. That is the stark reality of the situation.

Hence you are seeing cost cutting measures where possible that include:
    - Shorter trains
    - Increased use of ICRs on Dublin/Cork

- Different classes of trains being maintained in locations local to operations:
    • 2600s in Cork
    • 2800s in Limerick
    • ICRs in Portlaoise, Cork and Drogheda (the latter two for light maintenance only)
    • 29000s in Drogheda
    The latter means that you (in general) avoid lengthy empty workings to/from depots and have all of spare parts/expertise in one location for each class of unit.

Specifically on Kerry, they introduced an extra train to Dublin last year that is ICR operated, using one of the two ICR sets that is usually based in Cork. That train does not get back to Cork until midnight on Sunday night.

There are no other ICR sets in Cork available to operate the Kerry route, and they have extra trains on Sunday as well - therefore you would have to send a unit from elsewhere, and find an additional driver to drive it to Cork, a second driver to drive it back, all at extra cost, and even still you would not cover all the Kerry route workings, as there are extra trains on Sundays requiring three extra sets.

Your suggestion of putting a 2600 set into storage, and running an ICR in its place frankly would not be cost effective over the full week as the cost of running an ICR on Cork/Cobh or Cork/Midleton -v- running a 2600 would be greater. Plus you have the additional fuel and driver cost of running it to/from Portlaoise for maintenance, while the 2600 sets are maintained locally.

The bottom line in all of this is that the current management are trying to keep as many services as possible running within a specific budget. None of us (myself included) particularly like some of the decisions that have had to be taken, but the company is not in a vacuum - it has to cut cost.

Would you rather that the services didn't operate at all? That's pretty much the point where we are at - and I really think people need to start grasping how serious the financial situation in this company is.

that was not my suggestion at all. I didn't say you should run it all week, merely replace the otherwise spare 2600unit(s) (must be spare mustn't it or else it wouldn't be there to use at the weekend as it is...)

It seems to me you are saying "IE right, every other option wrong"

that was not my suggestion at all. I didn't say you should run it all week, merely replace the otherwise spare 2600unit(s) (must be spare mustn't it or else it wouldn't be there to use at the weekend as it is...)

It seems to me you are saying "IE right, every other option wrong"

But you would have to get the ICR to Cork in the first place for the weekend - which would mean extra cost in terms of fuel and wages.

The 2600s are all in use Monday/Friday on Cork local services. They are spare on Sunday due to the reduced frequency on Cobh, Midleton and Mallow.

As for saying "IE right - every other option wrong", that's not what I'm saying at all, and I think it's somewhat insulting to suggest that I am, just because what I'm saying is not what you want to hear. I'm using my professional knowledge from working in finance to make my comments. The reality is that your suggestion would involve additional cost.

That's something that the company cannot afford right now.

Hence my comment above - mods can you move the discussion about 2600s elsewhere?

I have no desire to offend you, so I started a new thread.

I agree but can't lt it pass...what jusitifcation is there for running long distance services with a a fairly old and unsutitable 2600 whilst storing nearly new Mk4s?
    because their a shambles when it comes to managing their rolling stock, they should have been forced to put up with the mark 3s and the mark 4s which more of them should have been bought, as when it comes to DMU operation, they just can't manage it

• Advertisement

OK - There are two distinct issues here.

One - How IE have utilised the money that they invested, and whether the appropriate value was gained from it.

Two - What they can afford to do right now.

I think we can all agree the answer to question 1 - it's no it was not.

However, what you and others here seem to be not grasping is the severity of the financial situation in which the current management of the company find themselves.

We can all agree that from a broader perspective that it is not right for Mark 4 sets to be going into storage, but the plain fact of the matter that you and others seem to be ignoring is that right now they cannot afford to operate all of the trains at the moment. That's the situation that the current management face - the company (just like Dublin Bus) has serious financial issues that, if they are not addressed, could lead to the company going bankrupt. That is the stark reality of the situation.

Hence you are seeing cost cutting measures where possible that include:
    - Shorter trains
    - Increased use of ICRs on Dublin/Cork

- Different classes of trains being maintained in locations local to operations:
    • 2600s in Cork
    • 2800s in Limerick
    • ICRs in Portlaoise, Cork and Drogheda (the latter two for light maintenance only)
    • 29000s in Drogheda
    The latter means that you (in general) avoid lengthy empty workings to/from depots and have all of spare parts/expertise in one location for each class of unit.

Specifically on Kerry, they introduced an extra train to Dublin last year that is ICR operated, using one of the two ICR sets that is usually based in Cork. That train does not get back to Cork until midnight on Sunday night.

There are no other ICR sets in Cork available to operate the Kerry route, and they have extra trains on Sunday as well - therefore you would have to send a unit from elsewhere, and find an additional driver to drive it to Cork, a second driver to drive it back, all at extra cost, and even still you would not cover all the Kerry route workings, as there are extra trains on Sundays requiring three extra sets.

Your suggestion of putting a 2600 set into storage, and running an ICR in its place frankly would not be cost effective over the full week as the cost of running an ICR on Cork/Cobh or Cork/Midleton -v- running a 2600 would be greater. Plus you have the additional fuel and driver cost of running it to/from Portlaoise for maintenance, while the 2600 sets are maintained locally.

The bottom line in all of this is that the current management are trying to keep as many services as possible running within a specific budget. None of us (myself included) particularly like some of the decisions that have had to be taken, but the company is not in a vacuum - it has to cut cost.

Would you rather that the services didn't operate at all? That's pretty much the point where we are at - and I really think people need to start grasping how serious the financial situation in this company is.
    they eventually won't operate at all as the subsidy will be cut so much and people will just give up

Advertisement