Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

g0g wrote: »
    Dunno, I've gotten it in two different Tesco's anyway

I'd be very, very surprised if there was CC issues in butters or spreads.
    Could it be something else in these brands that might be giving issues?
    Have you tried dairy free, in case that's it? My better half avoids too much dairy as it results in sinus pain and headaches for her.

I use regular flora (which is dairy free fwiw). I'd be sensitive enough with CC, and have never had problems with any butters or spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I'd be very, very surprised if there was CC issues in butters or spreads.
    Could it be something else in these brands that might be giving issues?
    Have you tried dairy free, in case that's it? My better half avoids too much dairy as it results in sinus pain and headaches for her.

I use regular flora (which is dairy free fwiw). I'd be sensitive enough with CC, and have never had problems with any butters or spreads.

I actually noted while I was at home last weekend that my Mom's dairy free butter said 'gluten free' on the front. I joked saying oh there's a gimmick - sure all butter is GF. I'm wondering now if I was wrong!!! I had always just assumed that once it wasn't contaminated by other users.. that it was naturally GF!

Tiriel wrote: »
    I actually noted while I was at home last weekend that my Mom's dairy free butter said 'gluten free' on the front. I joked saying oh there's a gimmick - sure all butter is GF. I'm wondering now if I was wrong!!! I had always just assumed that once it wasn't contaminated by other users.. that it was naturally GF!

It would be. Of course if it doesn't say it, then it hasn't been tested, but I can't for the life of me think where in production it would get CC to anything over 5ppm, if even that.
    Of course, if you're talking breadcrumbs etc after purchase, that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tiriel wrote: »
    I actually noted while I was at home last weekend that my Mom's dairy free butter said 'gluten free' on the front. I joked saying oh there's a gimmick - sure all butter is GF.
    could be the CC, either in the plant but possible even in a place making the wrappers.

free.png

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

I saw this sad news, the only exclusive gluten free bakery "Antoinette's Bakery" is closing down in Dublin 😥

https://lovindublin.com/food/this-much-loved-dublin-bakery-is-closing-this-friday

• Advertisement

whiz wrote: »
    I saw this sad news, the only exclusive gluten free bakery "Antoinette's Bakery" is closing down in Dublin 😥

https://lovindublin.com/food/this-much-loved-dublin-bakery-is-closing-this-friday

Anybody recommend another bakery that does gluten free food ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I saw this sad news, the only exclusive gluten free bakery "Antoinette's Bakery" is closing down in Dublin ��

I had often thought of taking the bus ride in to visit this shop. However, friends who did told me the prices were very high so I never did. I understand using GF ingredients can make products expensive but this may have been a factor.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I had often thought of taking the bus ride in to visit this shop. However, friends who did told me the prices were very high so I never did. I understand using GF ingredients can make products expensive but this may have been a factor.

I went there a lot. Can't say I ever found it expensive, and the quality was excellent.

I saw this sad news, the only exclusive gluten free bakery "Antoinette's Bakery" is closing down in Dublin ��

There is another one, tho not in the city centre.

Gluttony is in Blackrock. I haven't been myself but I've heard good things.

I went there a lot. Can't say I ever found it expensive, and the quality was excellent.

One person who told me it was very expensive is a heck of a lot wealthier than I am so I believed her. €5.00 at least for a small loaf!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

Just to pick up on poster who asked about GF pizza bases, I have found the Aldi own brand ones to be very good. I get the simple cheese and tomato sauce ones and add my own extras. I have tried other ones now available, Goodfellows, Dr Oeketer and Lidl but Aldi beats them on quality and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

I signed the petition just now, no 878. They say you can bring your own GF bundy and get a burger prepared by them but I have never bothered. I do enjoy their coffee tho and good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

There is another one, tho not in the city centre.

Gluttony is in Blackrock. I haven't been myself but I've heard good things.
    Been to Gluttony a few times and can HIGHLY recommend it! Love their Foccacia, the cookies (only seem to get them early in the day), brownies etc. Like all GF places it isn't the cheapest but worth it IMO!

Thanks Guys, is there any gluten free cookery book that people would recommend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Depends on weather you want beginner stuff or more advanced and if it is baking or general cooking.

Something like River Cafe Gluten Free is amazing for a read, but not too many people are going to hunt down phylum husk to try their recipes.
    https://www.rivercottage.net/news/river-cottage-gluten-free-book-out-now

I don't bake much so i can't recommend much on the gf baking front, but i've tried a few cookie recipes from here and they were all excellent (And all very very sweet)
    https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/

Mammy got me this for Christmas and it is really good for basic cooking which is all gf - good if you are new and want some good recipes
    http://www.chefgearoidlynch.ie/product/gluten-free-kitchen-cookbook/

Personally, i don't go much for dedicated gf books, but i am experienced enough a cook to be able to see what can be adapted and where it can be.

Also, booo on Antionette's closing. Their stuff is so good:/ i'm going to be in Dublin regularily from October and i booked my AirBnB so i could walk by it in the morning and get a nice treat! I hope they land on their feet. Also, i hope they write a cookery book.

Edit: One addition, you might not believe me, but i really enjoyed reading through this gf, low carb vegetarian cookbook i got from the library too! Some really nice ideas in there.
    https://www.amazon.com/Low-carb-Gluten-free-Vegetarian-Delicious-Lifestyle/dp/1909108731

Thanks Guys, is there any gluten free cookery book that people would recommend ?

Victoria Sponge in this is lovely, and the pastry is quite good too. Haven't tried the bread yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Gluten-free-Recipes-Good-Food-101/dp/1849905304

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A petition has been started to try and convince McDonald's to cater for Coeliacs, the same way they do in Spain, Italy, Sweden etc..

Whatever your own views of McDonald's may be, I think it's worth signing.

Coeliac Options in McDonalds

I just signed it am number 886

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering when people are in bars what soft drinks / juice brands do you order that don't contain gluten ?

Any responses appreciated

Recently I got bad headaches from having black current squash and cramberry juices

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

Tesco own brand corn flakes are gf. I'm in coeliac UK society and it's in their food book. Taste better then gf ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

ruahead wrote: »
    Tesco own brand corn flakes are gf. I'm in coeliac UK society and it's in their food book. Taste better then gf ones .

The Tesco website says they contain Barley Malt Extract and it is marked as an allergen. Nesle make the best gf cornflakes imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

Yes it contains barley malt extract but it is less than 20 parts per million or the cut off so can be labelled gf. Maybe some coeliacs are really sensitive, im not and it is listed as gf in the food directory. Cheaper than any labelled ones too.

ruahead wrote: »
    Yes it contains barley malt extract but it is less than 20 parts per million or the cut off so can be labelled gf. Maybe some coeliacs are really sensitive, im not and it is listed as gf in the food directory. Cheaper than any labelled ones too.

Careful going by the UK list. There are often different production lines for UK and Ireland.
    Tesco Ireland won't stand over the product in the Irish market, that's why it's not listed in the Irish Coeliac Society book.

It's down the choice of the individual of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ye I definitely get sick off any barley cereals, which is all of the not listed gf ones

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Hi all, so sorry to use this thread looking for advice, I have a coeliac friend visiting this weekend and was going to make a simple pasta bake ( using gluten free pasta of course) the sauce I usually use is de cecco arrabiatta, there is no mention of wheat in the ingredients and all ingredients look to be vegetable based apart from salt and sugar. Ingredients: tomato pulp, tomato puree, extra virgin olive oil, onion,sugar,salt, garlic, parsley,Chilli Pepper and chives. Will it be ok? It looks okay to me but I don't want to be wrong!! Do any of you use this sauce?

I would ask her but I dont want her to feel awkward or feel like I am making huge effort for her (she woild hate that). Would be so grateful if someone could advise. Tried looking at the irish coeliac website and this food list they talked of but didnt have any luck!

greenttc wrote: »
    Hi all, so sorry to use this thread looking for advice, I have a coeliac friend visiting this weekend and was going to make a simple pasta bake ( using gluten free pasta of course) the sauce I usually use is de cecco arrabiatta, there is no mention of wheat in the ingredients and all ingredients look to be vegetable based apart from salt and sugar. Ingredients: tomato pulp, tomato puree, extra virgin olive oil, onion,sugar,salt, garlic, parsley,Chilli Pepper and chives. Will it be ok? It looks okay to me but I don't want to be wrong!! Do any of you use this sauce?

I would ask her but I dont want her to feel awkward or feel like I am making huge effort for her (she woild hate that). Would be so grateful if someone could advise. Tried looking at the irish coeliac website and this food list they talked of but didnt have any luck!

The sauce you mention isn't listed in the foodlist.
    Dunnes do an own brand Arrabiatta pasta sauce which would probably work fine. In fact they do a heap of their own brand pasta sauces (most of which are in the foodlist). From memory, they do say GF on the jar, though I haven't used one in ages.

If it was me, I'd just make my own pasta sauce - but you probably don't want to go down the route of finding the right 'safe' herbs and spices at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

So really anything that is nit on the food list should not be used? I am guessing it is because of cross contamination and not the ingredients then is that right? And is cross contamination a major risk, like would a potential tiny amount of gluten have very negative effects or does it vary from person to person.

Really hoped that sauce would be okay cause its really tasty, best one i have found out of all premade sauces. Yes home made woud be better but i am very short in time hence thE easy dish!

Thank you so much for the reply!

.....I would ask her but I dont want her to feel awkward or feel like I am making huge effort for her (she woild hate that).

Speaking only for myself of course, I also hate people making any extra effort for me when I visit them. The thing is, I am not just being nice, I am being terrified that they will have made a mistake and I will end up ill. So I would suggest that when a Coeliac friend says 'please don't go to any special trouble on my account', I would want my friends to take that seriously. Just thought I'd mention.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Speaking only for myself of course, I also hate people making any extra effort for me when I visit them. The thing is, I am not just being nice, I am being terrified that they will have made a mistake and I will end up ill. So I would suggest that when a Coeliac friend says 'please don't go to any special trouble on my account', I would want my friends to take that seriously. Just thought I'd mention.

I'll echo that! For all the goodwill in the world, you still end up terrified! Especially when someone is new to the word 'Coeliac'!

So really anything that is nit on the food list should not be used? I am guessing it is because of cross contamination and not the ingredients then is that right? And is cross contamination a major risk, like would a potential tiny amount of gluten have very negative effects or does it vary from person to person.

Really hoped that sauce would be okay cause its really tasty, best one i have found out of all premade sauces. Yes home made woud be better but i am very short in time hence thE easy dish!

Thank you so much for the reply!

If something says 'Gluten Free' on the labelling, then you're good to go.
    If it doesn't, you need to check with the foodlist.

Some people will just go by ingredients, and the labelling used - and that's fine for some, but the only way to know if that works for sure, for an individual, is by getting regular blood tests.
    It's the usual rule - 'If in doubt, leave it out'.

For a lot of Coeliacs, they don't get sick by accidentally eating a regular pizza, or by accidentally drinking from a pint of Guinness, it's often down to the sneaky things - like gluten free bread being toasted in a regular toaster, or something fried in oil that's just had regular batter fried in it, or even gluten free bread being prepared on a tray that earlier had regular bread on it.

And that's why we seem so fussy when out and about :o

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

The picture attached shows some of the Gluten Free options in McDonalds in Lisbon in Portugal.
    McDonalds in Spain have similar options. Has the coeliac association of Ireland ever approached McDonalds etc to ask them could they ever launch similar offers in their large outlets here ?

I think the association and McDonalds could promote it together ....It's just the more options we have, the better it is for all coeliacs

Advertisement