Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adopted Crow Acting Moody

• 23-11-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, apologies if I'm wrong.

So my boss has been raising for the last few months a crow that he rescued from the garden of a neighbour. His (or her's, we don't know) tail feathers are missing and as a result he cannot fly.

He's a wonderful creature all the same. Extremely intelligent and friendly, but he's also always been independent.

Recently however, he's become more and more anti-social. He now refuses to let himself be touched other than when he's being put to bed at night, and he seems less interested in the various games and challenges we set him.

He's only a few months old, and I personally know very little about the development of crows. Could this stroppiness be the bi-product of some kind of puberty?

And I know this sounds daft, but I'm being 100% genuine!

Any and all advice much appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I'd say this might be the problem "An adult crow, or even young ones past the imprinting age, are among the most difficult of creatures to "tame." They remain hostile and frightened no matter how much care is lavished".
    http://www.ascaronline.org/crowfaq.htm#faq2

Some things to look at.
    http://www.almanac.com/content/rules-hand-taming-wild-birds

http://3tend.com/article/crows-pets-pros-cons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Best thread title ever!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Best thread title ever!

I read it as "Adopted cow acting moody" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

DBB wrote: »
    I read it as "Adopted cow acting moody" :D

so did I, til I read the post XD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Never swallow while a bird is on your hand watching you. The sight of food makes a bird's mouh water, and it always swallows just before it starts to eat. When the bird sees you swallow while you are looking at it, it may think that you are considering it for your next meal.

Always watch for the slightest sign of fear on a bird's face. Birds' eyes show fear in exactly the same way human eyes do. The movement of a bird's stomach also shows fear, just as the rapid movement of the vein on a man's forehead betrays his fear

If a bird wants to leave you while you are trying to tame it, let it go; do not follow it The bird knows how the fox, mink, weasel, cat, raccoon, follow when they want something to eat, and when you start following it, it thinks you have the same thing in mind

Never hold out your hand to a bird unless it contains food that it likes. A wild bird does not come to you because it loves you; it takes a chance because it is hungry. Holding out an empty hand to a bird is like holding out an empty hand to a child who is expecting to find a candy bar in it. A bird will resent it as much as a child would, and worse still, it may think that you are telling it the food is all gone and that it may have to leave for greener pastures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement