Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciations that drive you mad

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Folk pronouncing scallops as scollops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Someone mentioned LIDL - what about ALDI?

I pronounce it as AL (to rhyme with pal) DEE.

I've heard ALL DEE quite a lot.

It could well be correct but I hate it nonetheless and will also proudly continue to say AL DEE regardless.
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sc owen

Not scon

You sound like a toff

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Getronicle

When medicine is pronounced "med-sin"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Scon

not sc owen

You sound like a toff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Wibbs wrote: »
    Gotten seems to be present in some Hiberno English. I've noted older people of different backgrounds(in Dublin anyway) using it. I didn't lick it from a stone anyway and I would generally not use that many American English expressions/words. It would make sense if it was present in HE. It's an archaic usage and we have other examples of that in HE.

Yeah, I don't think 'gotten' is wrong and pretty much all Irish people (me included) I know seem to use it, but it's not really "correct". But saying "I've got" sound strange to me. 'Gotten' is definitely less common in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Lorry. Say it as it's spelt! Not feckin' lurry!

Most words that are used around Foxrock/Blackrock/Dalkey areas too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Getronicle wrote: »
    When medicine is pronounced "med-sin"

That and 'plice'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

taaaaaaay

The mammys in the council housing across the road are fond of it
    Jacintaaaaaaaaa, coooome innn for yar taaaaaaay

What's tea anyway?
    Sounds very middle England to me but seems to be the done thing in parts of Dublin
    Growing up we stayed out working and are not back until supper :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

plys wrote: »
    Auld Dubliners replace 'by the time' with "AGEN"

ie instead of:

'By the time I got to the shops...'

they say..

'Agen I got to the shops...'

might be a little OT since, istead of being a mispronunciation, they've INVENTED A NEW F**KING WORD!!!! :eek:

(any Dubs care to try explain this to me..??!)

I'm a Dub and have never actually heard this expression used here. I do have family from Galway, and have often heard it used down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A football related one:

Roberto Mar-t'nez

It's MARTEENEZ! You'd think the gob****es on sports news channels who spend their entire professional life saying people's names would make a point of getting them right.

'plice'.

:confused: don't get it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Pissketti (spagyetti)
    Ler (layer)
    Yogurt (Yoghurt)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

inG in english-english. bringgg, callingg, pronounced by the english is like they trip over it whereas we run straight through it and almost ignore it the way its supposed to be. CALLINg,

ah, i feel like im wafflin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    :confused: don't get it?

I think it refers to people who prounounce the word "police" as "plice" instead of "pole-iss" :cool:

D'oh - of course:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i kept reading it as "plyce" and wondered

bluewolf wrote: »
    i kept reading it as "plyce" and wondered

Me too.

And for some reason thought of Bowie (I'm a huge fan) saying the word "place" in one of his many wonderful tracks.

Then I realised I was more likely thinking of "fice" (for face)
    :)

I'm 99% sure I've seen this said already, but I just have to vent.

Folly. Follied.

One of my relations says folly instead of follow, follied instead of followed, and she manages to work it into conversation every time I talk to her. It drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

My granny calls cappuccino - cappatino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Too lazy to read the rest of the posts but I'm from Dublin and I hate the word Yisser, as in "get yisser flags"

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

My ex always used the word capture instead of caption no matter how many times I corrected him. In the end it made me spit silently.

I was just down at the petrol station and a woman asked me for directions to Clonmel. I explained the roundabouts and the ring road (long way round but easiest for a stranger) and she repeated them to me to make sure she had them right and kept saying right at the first ringabout and then about 6 ringabouts and left at the last ringabout. It made me laugh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

My ex always used the word capture instead of caption no matter how many times I corrected him. In the end it made me spit silently.

I was just down at the petrol station and a woman asked me for directions to Clonmel. I explained the roundabouts and the ring road (long way round but easiest for a stranger) and she repeated them to me to make sure she had them right and kept saying right at the first ringabout and then about 6 ringabouts and left at the last ringabout. It made me laugh. :D

That made me laugh too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

My 'pal', seems to pronounces every E before R as a U :confused: on tenturhooks that fella

/no it's an emphasis thing. Like surve oh; yeah I'd like to serve him one

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think 'gotten' is wrong and pretty much all Irish people (me included) I know seem to use it, but it's not really "correct". But saying "I've got" sound strange to me. 'Gotten' is definitely less common in the UK.

gotten is US English and got UK.

I always use got now but I am pretty sure I used gotten before a stint as an English teacher.

forfuxsake wrote: »
    gotten is US English and got UK.

I always use got now but I am pretty sure I used gotten before a stint as an English teacher.

Yeah, it blew my mind a few years ago to discover than 'gotten' is technically wrong. It sounds so right! :pac::o

girl2 wrote: »
    My granny calls cappuccino - cappatino.

Ah, that's kinda cute. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

'Louth' and 'Meath' pronounced with a soft 'th', so 'Louth' rhymes with 'mouth'; I think this comes from English broadcasters - there's a Louth in England that is correctly pronounced like this, but Louth and Meath in Ireland should be, and always have been until now, pronounced with a hard 'th' as in the word 'the'.

Had to laugh at 'cappatino'. Joyce got a dig in at Gogarty when he had stately plump Buck Mulligan joyously saying 'Thalatta' in Ulysses (which was itself always pronounced 'You-LISS-aze' until the 1970s, when it morphed into 'YOU-liss-aze'); thalassa is Greek for 'sea' and was the joyous cry of the retreating Greeks when they spotted their home ocean after fleeing from Persian nasties; thalatta is a foamy coffee drink.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Technically, it's obsolete (in the UK).

• Advertisement

Technically, it's obsolete (in the UK).

What is?

Advertisement