Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I've noticed the orange dot (BSE1_E01) on the Ballinasloe exchange has changed to a blue dot (Fibre build commenced - completion work is in progress).
    Seems like a bit of movement.

Same for Roslevin, Athlone.

It's a Christmas miracle.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greystones exchange cabinet also now blue:

GRS1_E01
    Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Macroom No change . Hope the ESB Voda door hits them on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seems a few have changed status.

PRP1_E01 Priory park
    DBN1_E01 Dolphins Barn
    BLB1_E01 Ballyboden
    WAL1_E01 Walkinstown
    RCL1_E01 Rathcoole

And so on and so forth. Things are starting to really get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 finbarrc

finbarrc wrote: »
    Something is up with direct fed exchange lines as my line is direct fed and I got the following letter from eircom this morning. I still cannot get eFibre even though the letter implies that I can.

Service Information Announcement regarding your Broadband Service

Dear Customer,

This Service Information Announcement is to inform you that the local broadband exchange in Cork is now enabled for fibre broadband.

Fibre broadband can provide up to 100Mb speeds depending how far your home is from the exchange.

If you would like more information on this Service Information Announcement, please visit eircom.ie or call 1800 369 369.

Thank you,
    eircom

My local exchange in Douglas, Cork DGS1_E01 has now also changed to blue status, so something is in fact starting to happen with exchange based VDSL. Over on the Eircom forum, they insisted that the letter was sent out in error even though I argued with them that distance from exchange which was explicitly mentioned in the letter could only apply to exchange based VDSL and would have no relevance at all for cabinet based VDSL but there was just no talking to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Same here in Askeaton, Co. Limerick. Cab ASN1_E01 build now in progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Good to see a bit of traction on this as it is extremely important to businesses in city centres and also customers in rural towns and villages. There is a pool of about 300,000 premises in Ireland that will benefit from EVDSL. Seems the UK operator that has fought this development tooth and nail may have lost the argument.

Why is it rolling out if as previously pointed out that evdsl is not yet approved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I phoned them yesterday and they told me there are no dates yet when evdsl will be available. They did say the Eircom FTTH does not need a cab in between though. So perhaps might get some decent speeds by 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Hackery wrote: »
    Good to see a bit of traction on this as it is extremely important to businesses in city centres and also customers in rural towns and villages. There is a pool of about 300,000 premises in Ireland that will benefit from EVDSL. Seems the UK operator that has fought this development tooth and nail may have lost the argument.

Which UK operator was that and why would they fight this development? I don't really understand why they would do that.

Exchange-launched will be an inferior product though unless you're very close to the building and there are definitely some additional bandwidth limitations on the general copper network that don't exist between the local cabinet and the end user as other services are running live on the lines.

I saw the ComReg calls for submissions on it, but they haven't published any follow up or decisions that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Which UK operator was that and why would they fight this development? I don't really understand why they would do that.

Exchange-launched will be an inferior product though unless you're very close to the building and there are definitely some additional bandwidth limitations on the general copper network that don't exist between the local cabinet and the end user as other services are running live on the lines.

I saw the ComReg calls for submissions on it, but they haven't published any follow up or decisions that I'm aware of.

Exactly my feeling on it also . Where i observed the frequency range on which the evdsl solution will transmit signal is in the 2.xx mhz range where as the cabinets pump out 17.xxmhz range , lower frequency in my eyes = lower range , and yes all of the phone watch stuff also receives wobble(EMF) on adjacent lines so lower frequencies required not to cause wobble.

There are all sorts of ancient multiplexers (pair gain / carrier lines - could be digital multiplexing of various eras or even just analogue multiplexing by shifting a voice line up to a higher frequency out of band) and various eras of DSL technologies carrying IP traffic, leased lines, ISDN services etc etc... you'd be surprised at how many non-phone services may be sitting on the copper network.

ClonNGB wrote: »
    I phoned them yesterday and they told me there are no dates yet when evdsl will be available. They did say the Eircom FTTH does not need a cab in between though. So perhaps might get some decent speeds by 2020.

Me cup o Tay just went up me nose , thanks for that . only 5 more years to go egh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

SpaceTime wrote:
    dbit wrote: »
    Exactly my feeling on it also . Where i observed the frequency range on which the evdsl solution will transmit signal is in the 2.xx mhz range where as the cabinets pump out 17.xxmhz range , lower frequency in my eyes = lower range , and yes all of the phone watch stuff also receives wobble(EMF) on adjacent lines so lower frequencies required not to cause wobble.

Great... my direct fed hopes at getting even a 7/1 profile @ 2.5Km (based on my good attenuation figure) are starting to fade more and more...... phish.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

ClonNGB wrote: »

Two different products are being described here. FTTH is not eVDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

finbarrc wrote: »
    Something is up with direct fed exchange lines as my line is direct fed and I got the following letter from eircom this morning. I still cannot get eFibre even though the letter implies that I can.

My parents got the same letter. I thought it must be wrong but told them to call the number and see what happens. Their house in Bray is (or was until today) on a direct fed line to the exchange. They were stuck on ADSL2 synching at about 14Mbps.

Apparently for a small number of locations direct fed lines have been patched into closer cabinets. Someone came today installed the new modem and did the final bit of patching into the cabinet. The VDSL2 line is now getting 86Mbps down and 20Mbps up from the eircom speedtest server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Well its good they are now starting to move people to closer cabs.

There are still some areas around Cork, Dublin, Limerick etc that are huge and direct fed. I'd say they'll have to install PCP cabinets and e-fibre cabinets for those areas. Direct feeding stuff from the exchange is only really viable for people in its immediate vicinity.

I know at Wellington Road exchange here in Cork City, there are cabinets within a couple of meters of the building. So, they obviously don't really want to direct feed if avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A great example of that is all of Temple Bar to Grafton street in Dublin. Nearly all of that area is DF from underground cavities.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd guess that these high density city center locations maybe the first areas to get FTTH, in addition to EVDSL

• Advertisement

Im like a smurf going blue in the face waiting on Evdsl i know for sure ill be out of rental contract before that happens (May this year) poof gone , out the gap and hopefully will find an ESB area around then.

The site/exchange in wellington road is obvious they have such huge volumes going in there that the cross talk factor had to be mitigated and cutting lines and using full vdsl cabs was the only option in those places ( IF service delivery is to be taken seriously) .

Looking to the maps I still do not see any Evdsl rollouts taking place not even prep builds.

Has the evdsl solution been signed off upon as yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's running for testing in a few exchanges, Westport is one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Packet wrote: »
    My parents got the same letter. I thought it must be wrong but told them to call the number and see what happens. Their house in Bray is (or was until today) on a direct fed line to the exchange. They were stuck on ADSL2 synching at about 14Mbps.

Apparently for a small number of locations direct fed lines have been patched into closer cabinets. Someone came today installed the new modem and did the final bit of patching into the cabinet. The VDSL2 line is now getting 86Mbps down and 20Mbps up from the eircom speedtest server.
    It sounds like they were indeed moved to a new cabinet. Are you 100% sure that they were moved though? I thought there might be regulatory issues in that existing exchange-based LLU equipment would have a smaller customer base who would use it. Why use LLU when efibre and efibre reselling can deliver much faster speeds?

Most of the rollout has been aimed at a really widespread enabling of cabinets before dealing with the direct-fed issue, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 finbarrc

dbit wrote: »
    Im like a smurf going blue in the face waiting on Evdsl i know for sure ill be out of rental contract before that happens (May this year) poof gone , out the gap and hopefully will find an ESB area around then.

The site/exchange in wellington road is obvious they have such huge volumes going in there that the cross talk factor had to be mitigated and cutting lines and using full vdsl cabs was the only option in those places ( IF service delivery is to be taken seriously) .

Looking to the maps I still do not see any Evdsl rollouts taking place not even prep builds.

Has the evdsl solution been signed off upon as yet ?

The Douglas, Cork exchange DGS1_E01 has turned blue late last year on the Eircom wholesale site. It is one of a small number of exchanges in Cork where direct fed lines will have Evdsl at some stage in 2015, so far...

Evdsl is dead to me .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

From Eircoms future plans document from last November:
    NGA Network Rollout Plan
    The NGA network continues to roll out across the country, with a commitment to connect over 1.6 million homes and businesses to superfast fibre broadband. The rollout will also cater for Direct Fed lines through Exchange Launched VDSL.

Spotted another cork based Direct fed in completion stage ?? CLS1_E01 Castle Lyons Cork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my local exchange in Dunshaughlin is also being upgraded to EVDSL, fek all use to me tho with a 2.9km line length!.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Gonzo wrote: »
    my local exchange in Dunshaughlin is also being upgraded to EVDSL, fek all use to me tho with a 2.9km line length!.

Have you looked into what speeds to expect at that distance? I ask because I'm about that far away from my exchange. Even 6-10mbps down and 3mbps up would meet my needs.

• Advertisement

Caspero wrote: »
    Have you looked into what speeds to expect at that distance? I ask because I'm about that far away from my exchange. Even 6-10mbps down and 3mbps up would meet my needs.

You won't be able to get eVDSL at 2.9km. Even 2km is stretching it, you need to be about 1.5km or less for any decent performance.

Advertisement