Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Efibre Macroom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Sadly macroom isint on first phase.
    bloody forum still wont let me post links.
    google this :-

These are the 50 towns being targeted for a €450mn high-speed broadband plan

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

dbit wrote: »
    Sadly macroom isint on first phase.
    bloody forum still wont let me post links.
    google this :-

These are the 50 towns being targeted for a €450mn high-speed broadband plan

And yes I just checked the 50 but you think there is a chance this ESB fibre will be around before regular fibre in this town? Why can't you post links lol

Some stupid assed rule re i have to have so many posts before i can post links ?????and possibly from my past on these forums I was banned for arguing with mods and integrity of links i was supplying RE cable modem hacking.

Not bothered and dont care.

Fibre will land via eircom if even at the last minute pre the ESB rollout . 2015 ill be gone from Macroom before then anyway.

Fibre will land via eircom if even at the last minute pre the ESB rollout . 2015 ill be gone from Macroom before then anyway.

Anymore updates or will you think it will be 2015 before fibre comes to the rest of the areas in the town? Might give Vodafone a little call this week. With them near 2 months and promised Fibre would be there by end of July we are in September now, they knocked a bit of the last bill but they can keep doing the same till Fibre comes. I mean the 15mbps is always around that but I was really excited with the prospect of Fibre up to 100mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 suaimhneas_de

Eircom are now taking the pistachio...

I just checked my line on the eFibre homepage and now I get....

We checked 026-XXXXX

eFibre is not currently available at your address but up to 24Mb broadband speeds are.
    Enjoy the fastest broadband speeds possible at your address from just €24 a month. When eFibre, superfast broadband comes to your area, we'll upgrade you for FREE. Not your number? Start again

Seriously - WTF has happened in Macroom - has eFibre been launched at ALL... The eFibre MAP still shows me being miles inside the eFibre coverage area..
    This is a joke....

Eircom are now taking the pistachio...

I just checked my line on the eFibre homepage and now I get....

We checked 026-XXXXX

eFibre is not currently available at your address but up to 24Mb broadband speeds are.
    Enjoy the fastest broadband speeds possible at your address from just €24 a month. When eFibre, superfast broadband comes to your area, we'll upgrade you for FREE. Not your number? Start again

Seriously - WTF has happened in Macroom - has eFibre been launched at ALL... The eFibre MAP still shows me being miles inside the eFibre coverage area..
    This is a joke....

I get something similar all the 5 cabinets are live but for some reason areas are not getting it even though I am a few 100 metres from each of the 2 in my area and an estate near me is getting it as well pretty mental ain't it don't get it tbh. From lads that helped me on here seems like it maybe some time later on or next year the whole town gets it. Eircom have set this up totally backwards.

Priceless.... You cant make this up...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As I've explained above, this is due to decisions back in the 70's or 80's they arent choosing to ignore you, the existing infrastructure is whats the problem.

Just wondering if anyone in the Macroom Area had OR has eFibre up n running..?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    As I've explained above, this is due to decisions back in the 70's or 80's they arent choosing to ignore you, the existing infrastructure is whats the problem.

Well I know you've explained this before but just shows the greed rather then the business smarts to set something up right and not having these problems in 2014 pretty mental, I must give Vodafone an old ring to complain to them about false advertising.

Just wondering if anyone in the Macroom Area had OR has eFibre up n running..?

As I said up around Fairfield has it up to 95mbps.

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    As I said up around Fairfield has it up to 95mbps.

Thats pretty good to be fair...

Thats pretty good to be fair...

It is but the whole town should have it by now, been waiting all year for it to come lol

Read the direct fed comreg doc it states that direct from exchange units are not allowed higher than 2.xx mhz and for cabs its 17.xx mhz , so its going to be crap unless under 1000 meters . Typical long wait for nothing.

Read the direct fed comreg doc it states that direct from exchange units are not allowed higher than 2.xx mhz and for cabs its 17.xx mhz , so its going to be crap unless under 1000 meters . Typical long wait for nothing.

Does it say when the direct fed thing will be set up? Also where is it located in relation to the town?

the exchange is behind the post office depot in the village , When lol dont make me laugh.

Looking at this in more detail - I have heard in some cases they are fitting green cabs outside exchanges so as not housed internally so the noise pollution thing and lower frequencies will not come into play in some places where they cut and re-terminate outside the exchange .

So you have no idea when they will be doing the other places and estates around the town?

none keep an eye on the exchange ask any eircom or KN employees useless asking in here as we have zero knowledge about direct fed roll out plans. in the dark the way eircom wants it.

• Advertisement

Ah is it KN Networks who are going around doing all the work maybe it would be better to get in contact with them to find out more i tried the eircom crowd before the technical support and they have no idea.

Ah is it KN Networks who are going around doing all the work maybe it would be better to get in contact with them to find out more i tried the eircom crowd before the technical support and they have no idea.

I was getting coal the other day in the garage in Kerry side of Macroom , I spotted one washing his van ,I asked him about the direct fed solution and he didnt know jack **** about it . Eircom engineers are the only ones you can ask as the unit will get fitted internally in the exchange - unless they dig up a spot just outside the exchange.

Not looking good macroom , Just had a live chat with eircom agent who pretty much confirmed evdsl will not appear in Macroom until 2016 or even after . Good news is that i can break contract at 12 months so only 6 months more to go then its bye bye Macroom/Eircom - sadly I like the place , great for kids looking now for the live areas for ESB Vodafone and an end to my whinging on Boards .

Agh jesus christ lads, someone please tell me the the map @ http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ is ballox macroom just went blue for the exchange building ????

MRM1_E01

Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress

This happened without any pre-schedule info's leading up to today . Is this a load of aul sh1te or is it real , as per all the complaints on maps being wrong ?

I just wet myself a little.

Line checker still fails.

Spoke online with Chat agent usual ****e , knows nothing states 2016 , I am poised to relocate and this si driving me nuts i could save having to move , I need to know if this means DF is just around the corner , it no longer states as it has done every day for the last year ( I have checked) that a build is planned for the future ?????

Yesterday the main exchange in Macroom now shows up as 300 premises can now order efiber and the towns 5 cabs now show as live. If they cannot tell you that you can sign up on the phone now then there is something really wrong. They also have a planned cab ( In the same place as the main exchange - LLU cannot be an excuse for this bull**** carry on as its going to be the same solution for the already active people ) for all us dopey ****s on the direct fed.

This is the one gone live at the exchange . now Blue .

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

I just don't see the point of poor advertising I hope I get more then 30 ill take 50 but if I get 30 or less they are going to be getting a strong call from me and getting an earful because its not what I was promised.

firstly it is "upto 100mb" on FTTC

this means the further your house is from the cab the less speed you get.

copper had a db loss rate of about 13.81db per km

there is nothing eircom can do about this as this is basic physics.

this is copper length not direct line of sight

(Expectations based on a line with no faults)

upto 300m from cab expect 100mb

from 301m to 400m expect 90mb

from 401m to 600m expect 80mb

from 601m to 750m expect 70mb

from 751m to 850m expect 60mb

now from this point onwards speed drop more significantly

from 851m to 950m expect 50mb

from 951m to 1100m expect 40mb

from 1001m to 1200m expect 30mb

1201m to 1.3km expect 25mb

1.301m to 1.5km expect 20mb

1.501m to 1,8km expect 18mb

1801m to 2km expect 15mb

2001m to 2.2km expect 12mb

2201m to 2.5km (max range) expect 7mb

when FTTH is available to more people there is no DB loss per km to worry about but there is a max length of about 2km for FTTH (after that it becomes insanely expensive to deliver FTTH at present)

with FTTH it is all or nothing - so if they offer 1gb/s you should expect about 95% of that speed between your home and the cab (5% loss expected due to electrical systems loss - in other words cab switches and your home side ethernet cabling from olt to modem to computer)

NOTE: wifi will never give you close to 1gb on FTTH with a wireless N or G adapter. for 800mb-ish (about as good as wireless ac will realistically offer) wifi speeds you will need to replace your wifi adapter on your computer with a Wireless AC adapter on 5Ghz frequency

also speedtest.net is not calibrated for 1gb/s speed tests yet so dont be worried if you only see 250mb on a test

i have a friend who is trialing esb / vf in cavan on 1gb and speedtest.net never ever goes above 250mb

we both reckon the file speedtest.net uses to gauge speed is not large enough for the dl speed to reach full speed before the file dl completes

NOTE: wifi will never give you close to 1gb on FTTH with a wireless N or G adapter. for 800mb-ish (about as good as wireless ac will realistically offer) wifi speeds you will need to replace your wifi adapter on your computer with a Wireless AC adapter on 5Ghz frequency

Ubiquiti gear for around a grand a pop can hit very impressive backhaul type speeds , down to line of site , Fresnel zone , and noise in the area.

also speedtest.net is not calibrated for 1gb/s speed tests yet so dont be worried if you only see 250mb on a test
    (Bullsh1t)

i have a friend who is trialing esb / vf in cavan on 1gb and speedtest.net never ever goes above 250mb

Oh yes your "Friend" lolz.

we both reckon the file speedtest.net uses to gauge speed is not large enough for the dl speed to reach full speed before the file dl completes[/QUOTE]

Have you tried to test to places like Douglas off the coast of dublin , I know they have a world class connection there and very little people on the island to use it , hence it always maxs out any speed i have tested ?

We have already had ESB users post images in this forum of transfers of around 960MBs down with around 670 ish upload. ( They used speedtest.net your reckoning is completely wrong) the speed that a specific nominated test location is determined by the max upload of that site and the throughput that site is under at an given time .

This is the one gone live at the exchange . now Blue .

When did you see this have you seen vans in the area carrying out the work, because I checked the map and can't see the blue? How far would I be away from that cab? Another lad was giving all the distances saying the further away the less speeds you get which is understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

because I checked the map and can't see the blue?

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

- zoom into Macroom on the map to see the blue cab marker (MRM1_E01)
    - select "Fibre Services Live" check box to the right to see the exchange marker

Advertisement