Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passive House - why bother?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Dully

You're right about the german m2/inhabitant but you'll have an uphill battle getting the Irish self builder to scale down to that! Of course the passive heat generated will be much greater/m2 thus providing a greater percentage of the overall heat demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dully

Just do it

I´m not on a mission to convince people to build smaller.
    But I think what I said explains a bit as why you might need additional heating.
    It´s everyones own choice whether to go for the extra expense of wanting a big house with the, lets call it disadvantage, having to put in a wet heating system even though you achieve 15KW/m²/a - passive criteria.
    In my opinion it´s not a fault of the Passive House principle.
    It´s more like: you buy a car that goes 70mls / gallon. Now you´re pulling a huge trailer all the time and wonder that you are down to 35mls / gallon.
    Or so...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Dully wrote: »
    Back to the initial question.
    I´m missing one point in the discussion.
    One criteria for PH building is that they are designed around 30-35 m² living space per person. Exceptions only if you have special needs.In Germany a "family house", 2 adults two kids, is typically at around 120m².
    • As pointed out before, a MHRV can only contribute X amount of energy. Not by chance, thats about enough for 30-35m² / person :)
    If you now build twice the size (standard in Ireland) or even three times the size ( not that unusual) than you are (forgive me FC ) not exactly building to PH criteria and as the total heat demand doubles or triples
    • you won´t get away with MVHR boost only and need an additional (wet) heating system. Quite simple maths, isn´t it?
    Real costs of building is not the standard you build to.
    It´s the shape and footprint.1,500 extra for certification, 10yrs payback for that alone?
    • Rip off, not efficient?
    Well, thats 298m² groundfloor instead of 300m²... and most likely at a better quality...
    mvhr contributing to energy ?
    maths?
    wha?

BryanF wrote: »
    maths?
    wha?
    I believe he's referring to the ability to provide heat through the MVHR rather than directly by the MVHR.

Lets look at the math of this. For the theoretical PH spec on my place the 36kWh/m2 gains required are provided by 13kWh solar, 10 internal and 13kWh heating. Now if you half the size of the house the passive gains will double to 20kWh meaning only 3kWh/m2 heating is required (assumption that everything else remains static). A heating circuit linked into the MVHR would surely provide that level of heating.

Conversely I could now settle for a heating demand of <15kWh/m2 and spend less on the insulation spec of the envelope.

Overall no matter what way you look at it a smaller house is the best fit. For all that I won't be changing my design;).

The original idea of Passive House is to design a house energy efficient enough to have no conventional heating system.
    It was never claimed to have no heating at all.
    The necessary heat is contributed by pre-heating the air at the MHRV.
    The temperatur can be max. 52 C° as after that dust starts to smolder.
    Means you have a limited input of energy / heat.
    This is typically met if you stick to Passive House principles, means 15KW/m²/a or heat load 10W/m² at an airtightness reading of 0.6, 30-35m² per person and so on.
    I don´t mention total energy demand or other thoughts as the initial post was why bother if you need a wet heating anyway.
    Well, you don´t necessarly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

One criteria for PH building is that they are designed around 30-35 m² living space per person.

Can you link to a Passiv House Institute source for that please ?

just do it wrote: »
    For the theoretical PH spec on my place the 36kWh/m2 gains required are provided by 13kWh solar, 10 internal and 13kWh heating. Now if you half the size of the house the passive gains will double to 20kWh meaning only 3kWh/m2 heating is required ).

Please explain this further. When you say "half the size of the house" by what means did you do this. Exactly.

For the record Ireland's first Certified Passive House weighs in at 400m2 ,
    5 occupants and is heated by MVHR and wood pellet room stove.

If you now build twice the size (standard in Ireland) or even three times the size ( not that unusual) than you are (forgive me FC ) not exactly building to PH criteria ...

And yet the PHI certified FC's house. Silly Germans. Right ?

@sinnerboy:
    PHPP7, 2012 Handbook.
    Page 28
    3.4 Calculation method, conditions, standard reference
    Quote:
    " Occupancy rates: 35m²/person, deviating values are permitted if the reason is given (actual occupancy or design parameters) whithin the 20-50m²/person range. "

As this is not a "cast in concrete" criteria like ACH0.6, 15Kw/m²/a or 10W/m², houses can be certified even if they do not stick to the 35m²/person rate.

But may need additional heat sources.

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    And yet the PHI certified FC's house. Silly Germans. Right ?
    Yes and no. For once you could say : "hey there is some flexibility in this teutonic concrete heads" :D

BryanF wrote: »
    maths?
    wha?

Maths:
    If you meet Pasisve House criteria Heat load 10W/m² than:

140m² house needs a max 1.4KW heat input. Can be contributed by pre-heating air at MHRV unit

400m² house needs a max. 4KW heat input. Cannot be contributed by a single MHRV unit

Both Passive, both 10W/m² but different total heat load.

Please explain this further. When you say "half the size of the house" by what means did you do this. Exactly.

Same number of occupants but half the m2 of the current design brings it into the 30-35 m2/inhabitant.

Same number of occupants but half the m2 of the current design brings it into the 30-35 m2/inhabitant.

Unfortunately it is not that easy.
    If you just shrink your house to half the size, your solar gains shrink proportionally together with other factors changing.
    It´s pretty sure you are not left with 3KW/m²/a but that you will stay somewhere in the region you are now ( 13KW/m²/a)
    But your total heat demand / heat load will be about halfed.

What is a bit absurd is that m² price decreases if you build big. Unless you have an extravagant shape, it will be a bit easier to achieve 0.6 ACH and the ratio external envelope / volume becomes more advantageous.

Still, if I had a budget of 250k I´d rather build 150m² for 1.6k/m2 than 300m² for 0.8k/m²
    But thats a matter of taste...

Unfortunately it is not that easy.
    If you just shrink your house to half the size, your solar gains shrink proportionally
    And therefore stays the same when measured per m2? (rather than absolute value)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Carbonnet

27 Oct 2011

On 2011 UK Passivhaus Conference
    Monday and Tuesday this week saw me at the 2nd UK Passivhaus Conference at the Barbican Centre in London.

There were around 250 attendees consisting of a fair smattering of old AECB-heads, a fair few BRE types, a sprinkling of academics and a good gaggle of "people who had come to learn." Consequently, the conversations ranged from the basic "This is what a Passivhaus is" through to the arcana of extreme building physics. The Passivhaus Trust itself would seem to be in rude health, energised by the fusing of the AECB's enthusiasm with the BRE's clout and professionalism.

Not everyone in the sustainable building arena buys into Passivhaus as a concept. Some decry its enforcement of MVHR (mechanical ventilation), others are suspicious of its cult-like qualities — it's very much the brain child of Wolfgang Feist and he gets to decide who and what gets certified, as well as remaining the owner of the PassivHaus Institute. But the beauty of PassivHaus is that it's a relatively simple standard, it appears to be based on solid building science, it's been shown to deliver what it says on the tin, and it's an internationally recognised standard, thanks mostly to the tireless promotional work of Feist himself. And in the UK in particular, Passivhaus still represents a giant leap forward on current building standards, even low energy ones, so it's not hard to see why the green building movement (OK some of it!) is so keen to promote it.

Day Two was for me the more interesting. It delved into a variety of technical topics and it would have been good to be able to sit in on them all, but the nature of the breakout sessions was that you had to choose one from three. Mark Siddall was particularly impressive on the subject of thermal by-passes and wind washing, a topic that lies beyond the confines of Passivhaus, but goes a long way towards explaining why low U value walls and roofs don't perform as designed. I also sat in on a good session given by Paul Tuohy (Strathclyde Uni) and Prof Chis Tweed (Cardiff) about the problems of post-occupancy monitoring. Everybody and their aunt calls for more of it, but the process is fraught with difficulties and the results are sometimes meaningless because there are so many incidental factors at work. Co-heating, in particular, was singled out as being hugely unreliable which is interesting because the practice involves keeping the temperature in a building constant over a long period and measuring the resultant heat loss, which reminds me of the tests run all those years ago by Actis to show that their multifoil was the equal of 250mm mineral wool.

Another observation was the ever growing interest in natural building materials and breathable fabrics. This is another area on which Passivhaus is silent: it emphasises airtightness above almost everything else, but has nothing to say on vapour permeability or embodied energy. Should these be included? Is there good practice to be passed on here or is it just getting too complicated?

And, more than once, the subject of quality control came up. Much of the success of Passivhaus is down to ensuring that the building is designed right and built right and the official or certified Passivhauses have to go through an expensive (like £2,000) and fairly rigorous auditing process. The materials need to be checked off, invoices examined, photographs taken. All very anal and tedious but critical in delivering quality. Some people are of the opinion that the certification process lies at the very heart of Passivhaus and is the main reason for its monitored success, but others feel that it's much too expensive and the certification cost needs to be reduced. It's a political point as well because Feist's PassivHaus Institute is resolute in insisting that they remain the police force here and they fear that any move away from this will inevitably lower standards. The UK Passivhaus Trust is firmly in Feist's camp but other countries (notably the USA) are taking a more relaxed view, claiming that the standards should be open and usable by all.

In one sense they already are. Anybody can look up what the Passivhaus standards are, anyone can purchase the design package (the Passivhaus Planning Package), anyone can claim to build to these standards. But where is the quality control? Without some form of rigorous certification process, how can you really know you have built a genuine Passivhaus and not a pale imitation that doesn't deliver energy savings as designed? It's a big issue, arguably the biggest one surrounding the Passivhaus movement. And it's interesting to note that of the 30,000 Passivhaus buildings constructed to date around the world, only about 10% have been through the official certification process.

Which brings me onto my final point, if it's the certification process which is the BIG THING, then maybe there's nothing much wrong with our building regs as they now stand, if only we built them properly.

Good quote but I would emphasize the following to address the thread title
    Carbonnet wrote: »
    Without some form of rigorous certification process, how can you really know you have built a genuine Passivhaus and not a pale imitation that doesn't deliver energy savings as designed?

The part you emphasized Carbonnet indicates that 9 / 10 don't buy it. Literally.

And therefore stays the same when measured per m2? (rather than absolute value)

It will not stay exactly the same per m², but to keep it simple you could say yes roughly. It´s not like dropping to 3KW/m²/a or suddenly increases to 30KW/m²/a.
    For precise numbers the house needs to be calculated again with PHPP.
    As mentioned before, other perimeters change as well.

Carbonnet wrote: »
    if it's the certification process which is the BIG THING, then maybe there's nothing much wrong with our building regs as they now stand, if only we built them properly.

Indeed

Maths:
    If you meet Pasisve House criteria Heat load 10W/m² than:

140m² house needs a max 1.4KW heat input. Can be contributed by pre-heating air at MHRV unit

400m² house needs a max. 4KW heat input. Cannot be contributed by a single MHRV unit

Both Passive, both 10W/m² but different total heat load.

And different total air volumes to transport and heat. So long at the heat load is low enough then the air , whatever its total volume , can be safely heated ( without burning ) . You are right that larger houses will , depending on the supplier you talk to , sometimes require more then one MHRV ( Tomas O'Learys' has 1 unit - I think ) unit but this does not mean that a larger house cannot be heated via the air alone .

• Advertisement

And different total air volumes to transport and heat. So long at the heat load is low enough then the air , whatever its total volume , can be safely heated ( without burning ) . You are right that larger houses will , depending on the supplier you talk to , sometimes require more then one MHRV ( Tomas O'Learys' has 1 unit - I think ) unit but this does not mean that a larger house cannot be heated via the air alone .

Yes, thats right. I wrote the subsentence "by a single unit" by intention.
    I take the above as a proof that Passive Houses do not need conventional heating. To settle on the initial question?

Tomas has a single unit, but pellet stove as well.
    As far as I remember (correct me if wrong) he has the humour and once said something like looking back he realises he has build a mansion

Perhaps a misunderstanding. The PHI is nowhere suggesting that an MVHR installation will "provide" heat. It can never do that. It can recover heat from the air once it has been added there.
    A Passive House is a building, for which thermal comfort (ISO 7730) can be achieved solely by post-heating or post-cooling of the fresh air mass, which is required to achieve sufficient indoor air quality conditions – without the need for additional recirculation of air.

from

http://passipedia.passiv.de/passipedia_en/basics/the_passive_house_-_definition

So some form of active heating comprises part of the very definition of a Passive House. TOL's stove links to a coil which pre heats the air intake. No wet system. He has explained before that he had intended to have a significant home office set up there but this plan did not pan out. So big house fitting PH definition , exceeding 35m2 per person and PHI certified.

@sinnerboy:
    PHPP7, 2012 Handbook.
    Page 28
    3.4 Calculation method, conditions, standard reference
    Quote:
    " Occupancy rates: 35m²/person, deviating values are permitted if the reason is given (actual occupancy or design parameters) whithin the 20-50m²/person range. "

As this is not a "cast in concrete" criteria like ACH0.6, 15Kw/m²/a or 10W/m², houses can be certified even if they do not stick to the 35m²/person rate.

But may need additional heat sources.

I had missed this and have looked into it since.

Try this.

Open up a blank PHPP and word search occupant then occupancy . You will find that the only place where occupancy becomes "numerically active" is at the ventilation tab to establish a hygienically safe design air change rate. For a 400m2 house the "design population" is 11 persons and it is this concept the criteria that the PHI are guiding. Or in plain terms - make sure your MVHR kit is big enough to move all that air around in your house .

So the premise in your post # 91 is mistaken. The PHI are guiding 35m2/persons to ensure sufficient air changes for the sake of occupant health . It is not relating to the capacity of the ventilation air to deliver thermal comfort - that is entirely diffrent .

Perhaps a misunderstanding. The PHI is nowhere suggesting that an MVHR installation will "provide" heat.

Good point, good to clarify. In so far a misunderstanding as I didn´t make clear enough what I meant, apologises.
    Of course I do not refer to the MHRV system as such. I randomly called it "boost", or "pre-heating air at MHRV" or else.
    Not very precise language, I admit.

Typically those "post-heating of fresh air masses" devices (give me the corrct technical term and I will use it!) are installed somewhere around the MHRV unit and some manufacturers offer it as a package or add on to their system. Hence my "boost at MHRV system" stumble.

So the premise in your post # 91 is mistaken. The PHI are guiding 35m2/persons to ensure sufficient air changes for the sake of occupant health . It is not relating to the capacity of the ventilation air to deliver thermal comfort - that is entirely diffrent .

Not completely mistaken. You can play around with it, you can alter it but in relation to PH you will come across the following quite often:
    From Passipedia:

Heating load - the Passive House requirement

The following calculation illustrates the heating load Passive House requirement:

To ensure good indoor air quality, one needs about 30 m² of fresh air per hour. This supply air can only be heated up to 50°C to avoid the scorching of dust and the specific heat of air is 0.33 Wh/(m³K) at normal pressure and a temperature of approx. 21°C. From this follows:

30 m3/hr/pers * 0.33 Wh/(m3K) * (50 - 20) K = 300 W/pers
    Hence: Fresh air heating can supply 300 Watt per person. Assuming 30 m² of living space per person the maximum heating load at a given point of time may not exceed 10 Watt per square metre of living space – independent of the climate: As these figures refer to that day of the year where the maximum amount of heat needs to be supplied to the building (heating load), Passive Houses require different levels of insulation depending on the individual climate: more insulation in extreme climates, less insulation in milder ones.

Perhaps it this juncture it is worthwhile to have a look at the PHI Certification Criteria . Why do you suppose 9/10 persons by pass this ?

Not completely mistaken. You can play around with it, you can alter it but in relation to PH you will come across the following quite often:
    From Passipedia:

Heating load - the Passive House requirement

The following calculation illustrates the heating load Passive House requirement:

To ensure good indoor air quality, one needs about 30 m² of fresh air per hour. This supply air can only be heated up to 50°C to avoid the scorching of dust and the specific heat of air is 0.33 Wh/(m³K) at normal pressure and a temperature of approx. 21°C. From this follows:

Hence: Fresh air heating can supply 300 Watt per person. Assuming 30 m² of living space per person the maximum heating load at a given point of time may not exceed 10 Watt per square metre of living space – independent of the climate: As these figures refer to that day of the year where the maximum amount of heat needs to be supplied to the building (heating load), Passive Houses require different levels of insulation depending on the individual climate: more insulation in extreme climates, less insulation in milder ones.

Yes , yes , yes - but the point I seem to have to hammer home is that PHI insist the population , for the purposes of fixing ventilation air volumes , is fixed by a design parameter. ( 20 min 50 max m2 per person or 35/m2 averaged. ) that works in conjunction with the physics you pasted here.
    Nowhere do documents state as you have posted that the 35m2/person is a limiting factor on the capacity of the ventilation air to be the sole agent to distribute thermal comfort.

Look at this .

Holds for 1 person . Note 300W/person / 30 m3/hr/pers = 10 W/m3 or 10W/m2 max permissible heat load.

Take our 400m2 house. Divide by 30m2 per person we get 13.33 persons "design" .

13.33 persons x 30 m3/hr/pers * 0.33 Wh/(m3K) * (50 - 20) K = 4000 W or 4Kw

and

400m2 x 10W/m2* = guess what ?

Which relates to max heat 10W/m2*

Yes , yes , yes - but the point I seem to have to hammer home is

Hammered home successfully!

I still read it that the 35m²/ person is the occupancy rate at which numbers fall in place neatly, PH has started with, PH will perform at its best, comfort is met and PHI recommends.

Again, occupancy rate is stated in the PHI Certification Criteria you posted, this time as: "The following boundary conditions or calculation rules should be used in the PHPP"
    "Occupancy rate: 35m²/person..." blabla...

Give me the point that it is in the certification criteria at least as a "soft criteria" to meet the comfort.

To do some more hairsplitting:
    30m³ / person or min. 0.3 airchanges/hr for ventilation.
    For 400m², 2.5m high = 1000m³ / hr
    For 5 person thats 200m³ per hour as opposed to 30m³
    You might get the warning: " risk of overly dry air " or so.
    Comfort ISO 7720? ( I better read it soon if I want to stay in the discussion...)

Quite enjoying this conversation and happy to learn!

Again, occupancy rate is stated in the PHI Certification Criteria you posted, this time as: "The following boundary conditions or calculation rules should be used in the PHPP"
    "Occupancy rate: 35m²/person..." blabla...

Thinking about it a bit more, if the occupancy rate is on the the same criteria level as points like Comfort ISO 7720, design indoor temp 20C° and many other important criteria which are accepted whithout question:

Why then is the occupancy rate not a criteria?

• Advertisement

To do some more hairsplitting:
    30m³ / person or min. 0.3 airchanges/hr for ventilation.
    For 400m², 2.5m high = 1000m³ / hr
    For 5 person thats 200 150 ( 5 persons x 30 ) m³ per hour as opposed to 30 300 m³ (1000m3 *0.3 achr )
    You might get the warning: " risk of overly dry air " or so.

If you simply provide 30m2/person you under supply fresh air.

In this case 0.3 ac/hr is the determining factor , not occupancy.

So if we would try to use the upper limit 50m2/person to obtain a design population of 8 .
    8 x 30 = 240 m3/hr . Still not enough. We install a unit capable of delivering 300m3/hr
    This would be a conversation during certification with PHI - no doubt.

In terms of the every day life in the house , users tend to find the operational comfort level i.e. the unit does not have to run to full capacity when not required to do so .

Is it absurd for 5 persons to live in 400m2 ? Or even 300m2 ?

I think so. But not for these nerdy reasons.

Advertisement