Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

ED E wrote: »
    The installers aren't twiddling their thumbs waiting for your order.

Lol never said they were.

Just know some eircom customers who have it up and running first thing yesterday whilst I a vodafone customer have to wait over a week.

So forgive me if you can see how it may look one sided to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

dbit wrote: »
    Plug everything out of the lines only run modem reboot check again if that attn is stil, that high then possible you have aline fault or noise induced by fault of some sort ?

Thanks for the advice. The 53Db is extremely high and there must be a fault somewhere worth checking. I will have a look defo.

However..

I just got my profile upgraded. Getting around 30 meg download and 10 upload now so very happy with that to be honest.

Make me wonder why so many Evdsl profiles are so conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

My exchange went live yesterday. Even though I know I am just outside the area for fibre :( Is it worth my while ringing up Eircom to see if I can get some type of speed increase on my 2mb line or am I clutching at straws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Just know some eircom customers who have it up and running first thing yesterday whilst I a vodafone customer have to wait over a week.

Your exchange was enabled at least 3 months ago, the regulator insists there is a period of three months to give ALL providers a even chance to sell their products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

griffzinho wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. The 53Db is extremely high and there must be a fault somewhere worth checking. I will have a look defo.

However..

I just got my profile upgraded. Getting around 30 meg download and 10 upload now so very happy with that to be honest.

Make me wonder why so many Evdsl profiles are so conservative.
    Evdsl has way higher concentration of copper in close proxy to each other ( Massive conduits at entry points to building with high count of copper pairs very close to each other) The Worry that brought down thwe hammer on Evdsl was pointed out by the secondary and tertiary ISPs that line noise , wobble , EMF and other such issues would arise . Some of the experts in here and with good reason think that in time as the lay of the land settles in the exchange and uptake is at almost 100% then they can gauge line noise when everyone is in full concerto. So It makes sense really . Im very happy surrounded by trees and fields on 40/10 anything else is a plus .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

I think you may be right on this as i got efibre the second day that my exchange went live while our neighbours right beside us have to wait till the 5 of August even though they ordered on the same day as us, btw they are with sky

I think you may be right on this as i got efibre the second day that my exchange went live while our neighbours right beside us have to wait till the 5 of August even though they ordered on the same day as us, btw they are with sky

Well Eircom being the line and exchange owners makes sense they will serve them selves first . Eircom will of course never say that is the case , but KN who will do the install part could genuinely be back logged by eircom getting advertising material out first ( At least where i am Voda have yet to put anything through the door advertising wise) So you could be right but also could be wrong . I hate Eircom (I am a customer) but i go with them as i too believe line faults and issues can be sorted out quicker with the provider backing all the resellers . Of late this attitude has not served me well though. Took 30 days and 3 KN install attempts to get it installed.

Admin seems to be Eircoms biggest problem and if you chase the install from the order number - i would advise calling Kn to ensure they have actually got a contact number and email for you pre the install to avoid the issues i had where no contact details made it to KN from Eircom 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

So I rang Eircom the other day to see if I could get a speed increase on my broadband now that fibre has gone live at my cabinet.

I'm too far to get fibre and apparently my 2mb connection is all I will be getting for the foreseeable future :(

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

gazzer wrote: »
    So I rang Eircom the other day to see if I could get a speed increase on my broadband now that fibre has gone live at my cabinet.

I'm too far to get fibre and apparently my 2mb connection is all I will be getting for the foreseeable future :(

Ya, those who were last to get broadband after dial up was left in dark are the same people now stuck on 1-2mb lines.

I would accept it, like id go some place else.

Im using a mobile dongle, on a USB cable, out the window in an upside down bottle. Hooked up to a 3g tp-link router, getting 10mb down load with max 12.

P_Cash wrote: »
    Ya, those who were last to get broadband after dial up was left in dark are the same people now stuck on 1-2mb lines.

I would accept it, like id go some place else.

Im using a mobile dongle, on a USB cable, out the window in an upside down bottle. Hooked up to a 3g tp-link router, getting 10mb down load with max 12.

ghetto Nets been doing this stuff for years , If i do it now with a Voda dongle on 4g it hits 66MB down and 26 up lolz. ( Faster than my fixed line)

• Advertisement

ghetto Nets been doing this stuff for years , If i do it now with a Voda dongle on 4g it hits 66MB down and 26 up lolz. ( Faster than my fixed line)

Hey,

How much a month is that sim, and is it capped?

I just had a look on the vodafone site, seems nothing higher than 5gb cap.

I currently have 15gb cap a month. I swap sims when it runs out. , I'd say it lasts me 25 days or so. But don't strem much, ud need unlimited for that.

P_Cash wrote: »
    I just had a look on the vodafone site, seems nothing higher than 5gb cap.

I currently have 15gb cap a month. I swap sims when it runs out. , I'd say it lasts me 25 days or so. But don't strem much, ud need unlimited for that.

Ye my parents sit at the foot of a mountain in kerry same **** barely able to get a 1 -2 mb line - tested 4g and now they have 2 sims 20 GB on each for about 50-60 a month all in . They get about 30 MBs down from it on the roof. ( Sits in an air vent under eves of roof)

you can buy the legit jobbies roof monuted 4g antennas - the providers need to open it up for caps though . ( Also in highly populated areas the 4 g suffers at peak times ) So if you live outside of a town and not too may around you it may be the only short term stop gap that is feesable right now) Voda seem to be the only people with full coverage as i raom around the country. I also here that 4g may even be considered in some areas as a solution in the NBP - we hope not but it is possible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So if you live outside of a town and not too may around you it may be the only short term stop gap that is feesable right now)

This is an important point to always remember when talking about wireless broadband.

It is fundamentally a shared technology. As more and more people use it, then the slower the speed gets.

People should only think about 4G if they have no other good fixed broadband option. Even a 10Mb/s unlimited ADSL2+ connection would be better then a 40Mb/s 4G service.

That isn't to say people stuck on just 1Mb/s wouldn't benefit from moving over to 4G, they very well might. However we need to be careful about promoting it as a general solution as it really hasn't the capacity for that.

Yes BK, I would not try to suggest that its a solution but more a workaround for those with nothing . I would love to see more comunity ubiquiti styled setups on the higher ranges that could serve two maybe three others from one home . ( Alot of people are already doing this themselves within townships ) where say 2-3 families pool into the fiber connection (Pay for it in colaborative fashion) at one centrally or fiber enabled home . Then from here setup high range ubiquiti's AP's that can reach up to 15 miles or so costing around 100-150 euro per node.

In Macroom where i am its not so bad as alot of that town is fiber connected , So the 4 g subscrition rate seems low in my area as at peak its hitting full whack still , thats not to say its going to change soon enough . 4g is fast but its going to get hammered as NBP has not given birth just yet.

Any news on the competition winners for nominating the next Belcara ? ( Anyone know how many homes / premises got enabled in that "Test")

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

http://fibrerollout.ie/competition/ says closing date september 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Any news on the competition winners for nominating the next Belcara ? ( Anyone know how many homes / premises got enabled in that "Test")

They did 150 homes, a couple of schools and the local mart.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    They did 150 homes, a couple of schools and the local mart.

Ok well then its a test in my eyes . {shuffles feet a bit }

One thing i will say and im hoping im not seeing the short lived benifits of no ports in use (Waiting for more subscribers to plug in ) is that my speed is tipping just above my synced rate im seeing transfers of 4.5 Mbits on 40/10 sync wondering if the vectoring will have much impact ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One thing i will say and im hoping im not seeing the short lived benifits of no ports in use (Waiting for more subscribers to plug in ) is that my speed is tipping just above my synced rate im seeing transfers of 4.5 Mbits on 40/10 sync wondering if the vectoring will have much impact ?

Are you on 8b or 17a at the mo dbit?

ED E wrote: »
    Are you on 8b or 17a at the mo dbit?

Not sure ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjgKMq7fER4 ye ye but how do i tell ? from my own config its not jumping out at me ?

errrrrk bad example .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eircom modems have it at the top of the line stats but I think the vodafone 658 is a little lacking there.

agh the supplied one its under the stairs ......... Hmmmm ok im off to do more reading .

https://www.broadband-forum.org/downloads/About_DSL.pdf page 23 i could be on 17a guessing by the Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 7,6 / 13,9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

my speed is tipping just above my synced rate im seeing transfers of 4.5 Mbits on 40/10 sync wondering if the vectoring will have much impact ?

I think you have it mixed up. Sync rates are in megabits but most downloads are measured in megabytes so 40 Mbit would be 5 Megabits. (realistically less because of overheads)

If you are seeing download speeds of 4.5 Mbits there is something seriously wrong.
    4.5 Mbytes is what you should expect while synced at 40 Mbits

tuxy wrote: »
    I think you have it mixed up. Sync rates are in megabits but most downloads are measured in megabytes so 40 Mbit would be 5 Megabits. (realistically less because of overheads)

If you are seeing download speeds of 4.5 Mbits there is something seriously wrong.
    4.5 Mbytes is what you should expect while synced at 40 Mbits

Yes its what i meant bits in bytes my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Finally got the text from Vodafone confirming the engineer appointment. Hopefully this time tomorrow it will be up and running

Advertisement