Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elements of a good web design & development portfolio?

• 04-04-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

I'm yet again rebuilding my web design & development portfolio. What do you folks consider best practice?

I know some folks only put their best pieces in there, others put at least one example from each niche/vertical/service area, etc. Some create a video portfolio, others the usual featured image plus tiny description. Do you like extended descriptions, extra screenshots, etc?

Do you add works for companies from years ago that have since rebranded or even gone out of business? Do you link to live sites or only to hosted screenshots?

Another thing that struck me is that sometimes portfolio work can look pretty awful from a graphic design because it's representing a complex web app back-end where the client didn't budget for, or care about, the front end user experience.

Any suggestions on creating an impressive portfolio?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Trojan wrote: »
    I know some folks only put their best pieces in there, others put at least one example from each niche/vertical/service area, etc. Some create a video portfolio, others the usual featured image plus tiny description.

Video portfolio I'm not too gone on. I find having some sort of filter/categorisation of each service area is helpful. Though I wouldn't go so far as to have responsive websites, ecommerce websites, etc broken down into sections, but rather more along the lines of websites, print work, logos etc

As for having best pieces, it depends on how many pieces you have overall. As does how you categorise it. If you've only ever done one logo, or one eCommerce site etc, imo there's no point in having an orphaned piece.
    Do you like extended descriptions, extra screenshots, etc?

Yup! I love being able to view a case study/extra stuff. I find it so much better than just a lone screenshot etc. (On that note: Companies that just list the brands they've worked with, and don't list the work that they did for said companies, drive me mad. For all you know they changed one line of HTML.)
    Do you add works for companies from years ago that have since rebranded or even gone out of business?

Yup. Not above the fold though. Freshest work first usually.
    Do you link to live sites or only to hosted screenshots?

Hosted screenshots. God knows what a client can do to a site after you're no longer part of the project. (unless you're the one doing the maintenance/in control.)

However, good article on smashing on Retiring The Portfolio Screenshot.
    Another thing that struck me is that sometimes portfolio work can look pretty awful from a graphic design because it's representing a complex web app back-end where the client didn't budget for, or care about, the front end user experience.

Which is why I find a case study for some projects is important, so you can explain this kinda stuff.

"We provided a solution that while not as aesthetically appealing as we would have liked, was within the clients budget and still achieved the same fundamental needs/experience or whatever..."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I really like pop's portfolio page (and the site in general).

http://www.popagency.com/work/

The case studies are really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

If you want to demonstrate back end stuff, a github repo might be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Check out Teehan + Lax agency in Toronto. I love the way they "storify" all of their major projects, and are VERY honest about the pitfalls they come up against with certain clients (not on a personal level, more "challenge" based).

Read their "Medium" story for some inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ChRoMe wrote: »
    If you want to demonstrate back end stuff, a github repo might be an idea.

If you have permission to post it publicly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement