Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

blender - rigging/skinning problems

• 31-12-2012 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm new on here, so bear with me...

I have had some trouble over the past few days with a model I created for a college project.

The model itself is ok, but when I created the armature and went into pose mode to move the models limbs about the following happens.

8319950262_6be4981d9b.jpg

8318891395_af1c5e7b05.jpg

8318891597_cee494aee9.jpg

I have inverse kinematics applied to the lower bone in the legs and the bone in the hands, as the online tutorial specified.

I have also got sub division surface applied to the model.

Any help would be brilliant, as I have posed this question on the blender.org and blender artists forums with little or no response.

I have also tried weight painting the model with the same result.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How have you connected those head components together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭angs77

5uspect wrote: »
    How have you connected those head components together?

I am assuming so. I was following this tutorial online
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=H-rhD4PV1Fc

Have a read of this more simple tutorial and see how it compare to what you're doing:
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Your_First_Animation/2.Animating_the_Gingerbread_Man
    I don't do enough with blender, especially rigging and skinning to tell you exactly what's going on, but it does look like there's something funky with the head mesh. It looks similar to the issue that the guy in the video has with the hand at 6.02.

cheers, will give it a try. :)

Tried and same outcome... :confused:

• Advertisement

Can you attach/upload your blend file?

this is today's version in zip format, the same thing happened again.

their are extra bones within the mesh (I thought it may help) and Inverse Kinematics applied.

and thanks in advance for any advise on how to rectify this.

Dude, your model is a bit of a mess. Your limbs intersect with the body making it impossible for the IK solver to apply weights to the limbs only. I've attached a simple example, as you can see the arms are outstretched to the sides to make them easier to pose.

Try to make a cleaner model with stretched out limbs away from the body. For an accurate Lego man you don't need to use IK, just hook the rigid components together.

will give that a try, much appreciated.

Hi I tried outstretching the arms and still no joy... it is still leaving vertices behind...

I have re attached a file.

• Advertisement

Then you need to add weights manually.

Why do you have so many bones in the hands? There's no need. Try to keep it simple before you ramp up the complexity. Try skinning a single tentacle for example, then do the gingerbread man tutorial.

manually added weights this morning and job done... thank you :)

Advertisement