Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gay Byrne inadvertently calls a woman after her daughter died

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

ThePower11 wrote: »
    The nature of Gaybo's questioning was a bit insensitive in fairness, "was she killed instantly?", that's some question to ask.

actually it's exactly the type of conversation that gets held in the aftermath of a death at funerals and wakes up and down the country; he was just speaking to her as her friends or neighbours would. I'm not particularly fond of him but he handled this as well as could be expected and I'd say that poor lady treasured the event along with the other memories and reminders of of her lost daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

LLU wrote: »
    actually it's exactly the type of conversation that gets held in the aftermath of a death at funerals and wakes up and down the country; he was just speaking to her as her friends or neighbours would. I'm not particularly fond of him but he handled this as well as could be expected and I'd say that poor lady treasured the event along with the other memories and reminders of of her lost daughter.

Actually, I don't think he did handle that like a neighbour. I'm a neighbour and I would never talk to a grieving mother like that. He did talk to her like someone who genuinely cared. Whether he did so because he was in front of a national audience and wanted to look like he could be caring or whether he did so because he was at a loss as to what to say and just talked to her like a doddering old man, or whether he talked to her because he felt he could make her feel ok, whether all of those things, I don't know. To me he came across as someone who genuinely felt the harshness of the situation could be made up for by engaging with someone: someone who obviously wanted to talk. If I'm anything like that women then she would be in tears from the poetry, and fair play to whoever he is, he came up with a masterful poem in the situation, and Gay was amazing to ask for it.

As for the "Why did she die?" bit: I think Gay was being smart (and I don't mean that in a bad way.) I think he asked her a simple statement of fact that could let her engage with the grieving process. She didn't die for a reason, there was no ulterior motive or malice or greater being in her death. It was simple a case of why and wherefore. I know that would give me something to think about, and to cry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Yahew wrote: »
    The other option was to hang up. He got it right.
    what about asking her does she want to carry on and then not ask her about the accident? Pass on his beat wishes instead of looking for the details and then making other people feel awkward by asking them to say something to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Wonder how Tubridy would have dealt with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

his attitude at the start was awful, it took him a minute to lose the panto voice.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

kraggy wrote: »
    Wonder how Tubridy would have dealt with the situation.

He would have made his "serious" face and asked questions like "And...and...and, eh....how are you feeling?" while The Camembert Quartet played some mournful music in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think he handled it as well as could be expected. It's fine to argue in hindsight that he could have handled it better but seriously he was totally blindsided. I have a hard enough time talking to friends etc when they suffer a loss never mind in that situation. All told it was good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Anyone else start watching this and find it weird that a father would go out playing tennis just after his daughter died?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

Seifer wrote: »
    Anyone else start watching this and find it weird that a father would go out playing tennis just after his daughter died?

watch it again
    especially the first few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

meercat wrote: »

watch it again
    especially the first few minutes
    Read my post again.
    Especially the first few words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Buceph wrote: »
    As for the "Why did she die?" bit: I think Gay was being smart (and I don't mean that in a bad way.) I think he asked her a simple statement of fact that could let her engage with the grieving process. She didn't die for a reason, there was no ulterior motive or malice or greater being in her death. It was simple a case of why and wherefore. I know that would give me something to think about, and to cry about.

i think you're completely right. after my own father died many years ago, i had the usual stuff from different people for a few months after, but then had a very matter of fact conversation about it with one of my friends who had been through something similar and felt it was a weight off my shoulders.
    i thought he dealt with the situation very well.

Read my post again.

not his daughter
    gay phoned 2 people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

meercat wrote: »
    not his daughter
    gay phoned 2 people

i think seifer was trying to crack a joke, given the title of the thread, and how the video starts off. all very meh, i'd give it a 3/10!

i think seifer was trying to crack a joke, given the title of the thread, and how the video starts off. all very meh, i'd give it a 3/10!

homer_simpson_doh_01.jpg

I think Gay handled it brilliantly. I've lost two children in a car accident and that is the way nice people speak when they are shocked at your news, he was very very respectful, and the why did she die question was perfectly ok, I know exactly what he meant by it. I think that poor woman would have been very content with the way in which that call was handled. She should be proud of herself for how she dealt with it too.

It's a sad clip, but also quite a happy one too I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Read my post again.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Can't see how people think he handled it well. :confused:

When the woman says her daughter died there was an exaggerated slump (6m 08s) followed by an extremely cheesey sounding "Oh no.......Oh dear Rita, I'm very sorry......oh dear, oh dear". It was more like something from a sketch show. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Is this still available on YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 youyesyou

marty1985 wrote: »
    Is this still available on YouTube?

thought id bump this as opposed to starting a new one...

would love to see the vid. account seems to be on private though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Anyone have another link too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

That says the video is private, how do you manage to watch it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

jeddie20 wrote: »
    That says the video is private, how do you manage to watch it?
    I'm pretty sure no one can view it unless the user lets you, really want see it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know if there's another source for this video? The embedded link in the OP is now set to private :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know if there's another source for this video? The embedded link in the OP is now set to private :(

It was shown on last weeks anniversary Late Late, Gay talked about it. It'll be on the Rte player

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It was shown on last weeks anniversary Late Late, Gay talked about it. It'll be on the Rte player

I heard that alright cheers, but was it the full clip as posted here or a cut down version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

It was cut down, they only showed the first two minutes or so of the call. I'd never seen that before, I genuinely had chills going down my spine watching it. So heartbreaking

Daemos wrote: »
    It was cut down, they only showed the first two minutes or so of the call. I'd never seen that before, I genuinely had chills going down my spine watching it. So heartbreaking

Gah! I've looked everywhere for this clip online, & whoever put it on youtube is the only one that has it as far as I can tell. Is there any way to even send a friend request to this person? I want to show the entire clip to someone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I really want to see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MrLyoneye

My English teacher told us about this during my last year of school. I always wanted to see it and had a search for it today. Coincidentally it looks like I wasn't the only one. Anyway, I managed to find it!
    (It's not as bad as you might think. I'd say Gay handled it quite well.)

Anyway,
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=3305560
    20 minute mark. There's a clip of it during Gay's interview.

• Advertisement

MrLyoneye wrote: »
    My English teacher told us about this during my last year of school. I always wanted to see it and had a search for it today. Coincidentally it looks like I wasn't the only one. Anyway, I managed to find it!
    (It's not as bad as you might think. I'd say Gay handled it quite well.)

Anyway,
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=3305560
    20 minute mark. There's a clip of it during Gay's interview.

Yeah it's been mentioned its on RTE player alright, but it's a tiny fraction of a much larger clip. The original post has a 16 minute cut of it, & in its entirety it makes for a very moving, touching piece of television.

I'd really love to be able to watch it again, so if anyone has the full clip, or knows the chap on youtube, please ask him/her to make it public once again if even for a short time...it'd be really appreciated :)

Advertisement