Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrific Footage of Homeless Schizophrenic beaten by cops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

benwavner wrote: »
    Your posts seem quite idiotic.

He was sitting down minding his own business, then the cops show up, he is excessively handled by the cops which resulted in his death.

He incurred broken ribs, fractured facial bones, he bled out on the ground, ended up on life support and then died.

One scrawney guy does NOT need to pinned down by 5 or so cops to manage to put cuffs on him.

Appropriate force was NOT used in this instance, if it was, the guy would not be dead.

Obviously you know better than a DA and a judge, sure let them go, they "worked within their boundaries".

You DO NOT understand the use of force.

Your posts appear quite smelly, see what I did there bud. :rolleyes:

Presumably you have experience of restraining people who are having a psychotic episode or are in the middle of a PCP induced rage. I havent but I've restrained people on the deck once or twice and its tough. This scrawney guy took about 5 blasts from a tazer and kept going, that should tell you what you need to know about how easily he was going to be restrained.

The court case will tell if they're guilty of anything or not but moral outrage based on that video? gimme a break.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

MagicSean wrote: »
    When is the last time you tried to restrain a manic person? all the technique in the world can't help against someone who has no off switch.

Did you watch the video at all ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you going to try to switch to the general and answer questings by asking rhetorical ones now? That's nice.

Funny you bring up the concept of "no off switch" , because he seemed to have an "O fuck" switch..." when he backed off from them at 15.40. Given he's the one dead, after being tased 4 times (approx) and given a severe hiding by a number of cops, I think its perhaps some other parties that lack an "off switch".

Now - are or are not police trained how to control and cuff a prisoner?

I'm focusing on your comments about force being used in mental hospitals which you so casually threw in for no reason.

I'm sure these cops were trained in the best methods to restrain a person. Maybe they even followed their training and it was the techniques that were flawed. I'm sure the court will decide that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bambi wrote: »
    ....... This scrawney guy took about 5 blasts from a tazer and kept going, that should tell you what you need to know about how easily he was going to be restrained.

Yeah, he kept on being on the ground, they kept on beating him.....an epic struggle.

Chorcai wrote: »
    Did you watch the video at all ? :rolleyes:

Yes. did you listen to it?

• Advertisement

I'm focusing on your comments about force being used in mental hospitals which you so casually threw in for no reason.

No, I casually pointed out the fact that mentally ill people are restrained using force on a regular basis, without ending up being either dead or virtually unrecognisable. The reason I mentioned it was because some genius was giving "non-compliance" as an excuse for the level of violence.
    I'm sure these cops were trained in the best methods to restrain a person.

They were? Why didn't they use them?

We might differ on "best", by the way. In my idea of "best", the mentally ill aren't battered to a pulp.
    Maybe they even followed their training and it was the techniques that were flawed. I'm sure the court will decide that.

You were sure they were trained in the best methods a sentence ago.

Yes. did you listen to it?

He ran once from the tubby cop, then the rest of his "manic" episode was nothing but him shouting "I can't breath, Daddy help me, stop, I can't breath" all the while 4 fat cops put all their weight on him and tazer the ****ing **** out him beat him to death.

No, I casually pointed out the fact that mentally ill people are restrained using force on a regular basis, without ending up being either dead or virtually unrecognisable. The reason I mentioned it was because some genius was giving "non-compliance" as an excuse for the level of violence.

No I think you actually said that we don't have people dying every day from it. But neirhter do we have people dying everyday from police brutality.
    They were? Why didn't they use them?

How can you tell if they did or not? Do you know them?
    We might differ on "best", by the way. In my idea of "best", the mentally ill aren't battered to a pulp.

Best is the most effective.
    You were sure they were trained in the best methods a sentence ago.

Yes but wether they used them or not is up to the courts.

Chorcai wrote: »
    He ran once from the tubby cop, then the rest of his "manic" episode was nothing but him shouting "I can't breath, Daddy help me, stop, I can't breath" all the while 4 fat cops put all their weight on him and tazer the ****ing **** out him beat him to death.

They repeatedly told him to do the same thing over and over. i would take this to mean he was not doing it.

Are you going to try to switch to the general and answer questings by asking rhetorical ones now? That's nice.

Funny you bring up the concept of "no off switch" , because he seemed to have an "O fuck" switch..." when he backed off from them at 15.40. Given he's the one dead, after being tased 4 times (approx) and given a severe hiding by a number of cops, I think its perhaps some other parties that lack an "off switch".

Now - are or are not police trained how to control and cuff a prisoner?

Oh Nodin, Lets just explore the red herring whataboutery of your mental facility analogy. Take look at your comparison, see those words "secure" and "closed? They'd be fairly big hints as to the massive difference in circumstances between the two. In a facility you'll know the patient, his mental state, his medical history such as the presence of Hep or AIDS plus you'll be fairly certain they are'nt off their faces on crack or PCP and don't have access to a weapon.

I had a fairly long talk once with a guy who spent decades working in corrections with mental cases and his experience was that they will be left alone if they flip out so long as they don't endanger themselves or others. Even then its a dedicated suited up tactical team equipped with restraining boards etc who'll go in to do the job.

He had loads of examples of skinny little guys on PCP who could hold off tons of cops and then just die from the elevated body temperature that their freak out caused. He'd seen guys literally take all the flesh of their hands by pulling it through a cuff. So yeah, I take the hes just a little line with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

Oh Nodin, Lets just explore the red herring whataboutery of your mental facility .......hes just a little line with a pinch of salt.

...whats any of that guff to do with the fact that (a) people are restrained all the time without ending up dead or battered to a pulp and (b) the specific case here, where we have the video of the guy in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

No I wouldn't, and it shows that your ideas are notional tbh, if they'd managed to get him turned on his face with his hands behind him he would probably still be alive. :confused:

I don't really care if you think my ideas are notional or not tbh. Are you honestly telling me cops trained in how to subdue people wouldn't have been able to control this guy?
    He had loads of examples of skinny little guys on PCP who could hold off tons of cops and then just die from the elevated body temperature that their freak out caused. He'd seen guys literally take all the flesh of their hands by pulling it through a cuff. So yeah, I take the hes just a little line with a pinch of salt.

And do we see this guy doing any of that in the video? So explain to me what any of that has to do with this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

CiaranC wrote: »
    The guy wasnt beaten to within an inch of his life, he was beaten to death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas

Decades of society frowning upon any questioning of law enforcement has resulted in Police being untouchable over there. A police force is a neccessary evil and should be answerable to the people it is supposed to protect, that is not the case in the US. Its going the same way elsewhere.

:(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_States

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

In a facility you'll know the patient, his mental state, his medical history such as the presence of Hep or AIDS plus you'll be fairly certain they are'nt off their faces on crack or PCP and don't have access to a weapon.

Are you trying to say that the cops would have had any idea if the guy had been on PCP or had AIDS?

Because if I was wary of a homeless man I was about to beat had AIDS, I wouldn't want to be spraying his blood all over a public pavement, not to mention my own hands.

Seriously, you're posts lead me to believe that you have the same kind of power issues as the cops in the video. If you honestly can't admit that they went way overboard with their treatment of the homeless man, then frankly, yr an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

When is the last time you tried to restrain a manic person? all the technique in the world can't help against someone who has no off switch.

Who wouldn't struggle with two hefty fucks, like those two appear to be, sitting on you compressing your chest and literally squeezing and beating the life out of you?

If a person, two people, tasked with that type of job cannot effectively restrain a struggling person without killing them then they are obviously not fit for purpose.
    It's a very unfortunate incident for all involved but far from a minless beating that it's been described as.

Unfortunate?

Those two are up in front of a judge for good reason - they subjected a vulnerable man to extreme brutality.

WTF?

...whats any of that guff to do with the fact that (a) people are restrained all the time without ending up dead or battered to a pulp and (b) the specific case here, where we have the video of the guy in question.

People are restrained all the time in far more favourable circumstances in a secure environment? Is that what your on about? Its a poor comparison you need to just move onto the next whatabout analogy.

People are tazed all the time, sometimes it can be fatal. People are shot all the time and sometimes they don't die like they're supposed to. Do you think there are any certainties when it comes to use of force?

No I think you actually said that we don't have people dying every day from it. But neirhter do we have people dying everyday from police brutality.

...which given the actions of the cops in the video and some of the attitudes expressed on here is a wonder in itself.
    How can you tell if they did or not? Do you know them?.

The dead guy and his battered corpse.
    Best is the most effective.

By which such lights we could wonder why they just didn't have somebody control the head, another the torso and let the third pop a round or three in his legs. Great stuff.

At any rate, by the ratio of cops to grounded mental patient it would seem they failed the "effectiveness" test. By my 'don't kill them' standard anyway.

They repeatedly told him to do the same thing over and over. i would take this to mean he was not doing it.

He sure did put up a fight, what with the cop beating the crap out of his face with the flashlight or the repeated knee to ribs, hell even go to the start of the video and you hear the cop giving him stupid directions let alone when they were on top of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Bambi, you have the biggest shovel I have ever seen in a thread on boards.ie. Keep digging.

Seriously.

I don't really care if you think my ideas are notional or not tbh. Are you honestly telling me cops trained in how to subdue people wouldn't have been able to control this guy?

And do we see this guy doing any of that in the video? So explain to me what any of that has to do with this case.

Why yes , yes I am telling you that cops might not be able to handle some people, there's tons of precedent for it. So now that I've told you that, you show me where in that video they exceeded their use of force matrix? Fourth time of asking. It should be easy peesy. :confused:

I see a skinny guy managing to resist a half dozen cops, stay on his back and take multiple tazers shots. You'll also hear a cop stating that he's on something. I'm guessing that this guy might have actually been on something :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

something. I'm guessing that this guy might have actually been on something :eek:

Apparently toxicology reports were negative.

People are restrained all the time in far more favourable circumstances in a secure environment? Is that what your on about? Its a poor comparison you need to just move onto the next whatabout analogy.

You aren't very good at this, are you?

I'm not saying "whatabout". I'm stating that - as a fact - people are removed and moved against their wishes without being beaten so badlly, or being beaten to death. Not only does that occur in mental institutions, it happens in bars, pubs, clubs and shops and it happens all the time.
    People are tazed all the time, sometimes it can be fatal. People are shot all the time and sometimes they don't die like they're supposed to. Do you think there are any certainties when it comes to use of force?

Certainties? - the more you hit them, the more chance you have of fucking them up. Add into that going for specific areas, a few people going in hard simultaneously, implements....its going to end badly.

Was yer man attacking the cops? Nope, he was running. He was unarmed. He hadn't even a pair of shoes on. There's nothing at all in the video to justify the level of violence used.

Why yes , yes I am telling you that cops might not be able to handle some people, there's tons of precedent for it. So now that I've told you that, you show me where in that video they exceeded their use of force matrix? Fourth time of asking. It should be easy peesy. :confused:

I see a skinny guy managing to resist a half dozen cops, stay on his back and take multiple tazers shots. You'll also hear a cop stating that he's on something. I'm guessing that this guy might have actually been on something :eek:

.....dear jesus help us.

Do please guide us to the "use of force matrix" employed by this specific police department.

Bambi, you have the biggest shovel I have ever seen in a thread on boards.ie. Keep digging.

Seriously.

I'm dealing in fact my good fellow, other posters are dealing in emotion. Right is right regardless of numbers. :)

I'm dealing in fact my good fellow,

You'll produce that "force matrix" you were on about then.
    Right is right regardless of numbers.

He never mentioned numbers. Good to know what your motivation is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I'm dealing in fact my good fellow, other posters are dealing in emotion. Right is right regardless of numbers. :)

Where are you right? Two cops have been charged with in connection with this mans murder. MURDER... MURDER do you not get it??

They murdered him collectively. In the same court of law that these cops serve. I am not using emotion. I do not care if this man is dead, I do not care if these cops ever go to prison. But one of them is charged with murder, therefore the cop is in the wrong. Nobody in any civil state is allowed murder another person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I kinda hope you are trolling. If not it goes a long way to explaining why these cops can do what they like when we have people saying a video of a man viciously beaten to death by police is no big deal.

.....dear jesus help us.

Do please guide us to the "use of force matrix" employed by this specific police department.

You're the one throwing the accusations around so I'm assuming that you should have a handle on what they are in this case. Or that you at least know the difference between things like noncompliance, resistance and assault.

So yeah, nodin so us where this skinny fella was assaulting the coppers, as opposed to resisting as opposed to complying I can't see what he's doing in the the same way i cant see them smacking him in the head with a torch or crushing his larynx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Except you couldn't be more wrong.
    It's pretty obvious to everyone else that excessive force was used, to put it mildly. To put it factually, they battered a vulnerable person to death.

• Advertisement

Who wouldn't struggle with two hefty fucks, like those two appear to be, sitting on you compressing your chest and literally squeezing and beating the life out of you?

It's a progressive cycle. He tries to struggle they use more force, he struggles harder, they use more force.
    If a person, two people, tasked with that type of job cannot effectively restrain a struggling person without killing them then they are obviously not fit for purpose.

It's not as easy as you see on the TV
    Unfortunate?

Those two are up in front of a judge for good reason - they subjected a vulnerable man to extreme brutality.

WTF?

You don't consider that unfortunate?
    The dead guy and his battered corpse.

That doesn't prove that they didn't do what they were trained to.
    At any rate, by the ratio of cops to grounded mental patient it would seem they failed the "effectiveness" test. By my 'don't kill them' standard anyway.

The most effective doesn't work 100%. Even pepper spray only works about 95% of the time.

Advertisement