Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RaboPro12 13/14 season thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That game will all depend on what sort of team Ulster can field.

So just looking at it, it looks like if Ulster can get to 71 points we should be ok. Ospreys are on 56 and I'd be surprised to see them get 15/15 points available.

That would mean Ulster need either a TBP Leinster and LBP in Munster or just 2 wins. Neither scenario very likely unfortunately.

If we end up on 70 points then we will be looking very nervously over our shoulder at Ospreys.

Less than 70 and we're done for.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Glasgow winning it would be great for the league.

But Leinster winning it will be great for Leinster, and that's all they'll be thinking about. Leinster will be baying for blood from here on out. A LBP in Ravenhill and it's all home games from there on in.

What's the criteria for teams on even points?

Is it head to head record first?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    What's the criteria for teams on even points?

Is it head to head record first?

Number of matches won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Another win for Zebre this season. Just beat Edinburgh 26 - 13.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't think they'll be able to get ahead of Treviso though, their run in is much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Pretty darn encouraging for Zebre though.

Especially after last year . . .. and Aironi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If Leinster were to manage a home final in the play-offs, what do you reckon the chances of holding it in Lansdowne will be?

It will be the first time in 3 years Leinster will have a pro12 final without a European final the week before, so all the focus (and spending power) of the fans will be focused on the league this year and there will be a two week lead in to the final (if Leinster were to make it) in which to sell tickets. If it was against Ulster or Munster were to make it and no longer have European interests, it would make it even more likely to sell out.

I'd love to see the Pro12 final be given the big day treatment it deserves beyond smaller stadia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

[Jackass] wrote: »
    If Leinster were to manage a home final in the play-offs, what do you reckon the chances of holding it in Lansdowne will be?

It will be the first time in 3 years Leinster will have a pro12 final without a European final the week before, so all the focus (and spending power) of the fans will be focused on the league this year and there will be a two week lead in to the final (if Leinster were to make it) in which to sell tickets. If it was against Ulster or Munster were to make it and no longer have European interests, it would make it even more likely to sell out.

I'd love to see the Pro12 final be given the big day treatment it deserves beyond smaller stadia.

I think it should be in the aviva if Leinster get there. The AP and Top 14 finals are held in the national stadiums. They make a proper occasion of it.

Leinster still have to get there tho but it should be considered only after the semi's take place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I think the league decide the venue for the final so they could try have it in Lansdowne, the only problem would be the short notice, only a couple of weeks to try sell a stadium full of tickets.

danthefan wrote: »
    I think the league decide the venue for the final so they could try have it in Lansdowne, the only problem would be the short notice, only a couple of weeks to try sell a stadium full of tickets.

the top ranked team get to decide. Ulster chose the RDS last year against Leinster.

If Leinster are in it against another irish side and are the top ranked team then it should be in the aviva. I dont see a problem selling enough tickets to make it a success in two weeks.

Not sure what glasgow will do if they are in the final as the top ranked team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Glasgow would have to move it either to Murrayfield (which is only about an hour on the train) or they could try and play it in Hampden Park, although it may or may not still be under redevelopment for the common wealth games ... if that's the case, they would have the quite divisive decision on whether to ask for it to be played at Ibrox or Celtic Park :o

If Hampden isn't available I'd say it would be in Murrayfield.

I think 2 weeks would be plenty of time to sell out Aviva if we got to host it, especially if it was against another Irish team.

On a side note, Leinster average attendance is 19,824 so far this season (League only, not including Heineken Cup games). Another Aviva sell out would bring that well above the 20,000 mark.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Glasgow would have to move it either to Murrayfield (which is only about an hour on the train) or they could try and play it in Hampden Park, although it may or may not still be under redevelopment for the common wealth games ... if that's the case, they would have the quite divisive decision on whether to ask for it to be played at Ibrox or Celtic Park :o

If Hampden isn't available I'd say it would be in Murrayfield.

I think 2 weeks would be plenty of time to sell out Aviva if we got to host it, especially if it was against another Irish team.

On a side note, Leinster average attendance is 19,824 so far this season (League only, not including Heineken Cup games). Another Aviva sell out would bring that well above the 20,000 mark.

I think the scottish cup final is in Parkhead because Hampden is out of commission. Not sure if that is a viable option.

Is Murrayfield not having a plastic-y type pitch laid - in spring 2014 in time for next season ......

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/14/02/04/new-hybrid-grass-pitch-be-constructed-murrayfield

Maybe Rangers will help them out as they need the money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

neilmulvey wrote: »
    I think the scottish cup final is in Parkhead because Hampden is out of commission. Not sure if that is a viable option.

Is Murrayfield not having a plastic-y type pitch laid - in spring 2014 in time for next season ......

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/14/02/04/new-hybrid-grass-pitch-be-constructed-murrayfield

Maybe Rangers will help them out as they need the money.

Correct. Hampden is being turned into an athletics stadium for the Commonwealth games and the pitch at Murrayfield has been ripped up due to a parasitic worm infestation. Edinburgh have to play their last home game at a different ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I think I remember this coming up in the past and an IRFU representative mentioning that it usually takes about six weeks to sell enough tickets for the Aviva. If it ends up being Leinster/Munster, then they might take the chance and push it hard. I'd like to see the operating costs of the Aviva versus the RDS - presumably, there's a minimum number of tickets they'd need to sell for an Aviva final to be as profitable as an RDS sellout, and I'd suspect it'd be several thousand past the 18k in the RDS. Unless they can realistically sell at least thirty thousand, it's probably not worth it.

If it's an inter-pro final they could sell enough tickets for sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Isn't renting the Aviva about 450-500K?

Have to say though the RDS is our home ground and I'm more than happy for Leinster to play a home interpro playoff or final there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

It'll be great to see the Pro 12 get to a level where the final is played in the national stadium of the higher seeded finalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The first few Premiership finals were played in front of a half full Twickenham but it has grown year on year, hopefully the same will happen with the Pro 12. An all Ireland final (even if Connacht were playing IMO),would sell out 50k tickets easily enough but I can't see any of the other sides managing to pull it off. Hopefully Glasgow can contonue to improve and build their support because while Glasgow is obviously a football city I reckon they have huge support potential similar to Leinster as Glasgow and Dublin are roughly the same size although obviously there is more to Leinster than Dublin!

• Advertisement

The English and French do play their finals in Twickenham and Stade de France but it's known at the start of the season that that's where the final will be played. The problem with the Rabo is that we can't specify a stadium at the start of the season as it could end up that the teams will be from a different country than where the stadium is.

Realistically I don't think two weeks is enough time to sell the amount of tickets to put a good atmosphere in any big national stadium.

The Rabo final is working well at the moment in that it's sold out every year and is a good occasion to go to.

You could also argue that having a home final is more fair than having a neutral final as it rewards a good finish in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone watching Cardiff-Scarlets? How in Gods name did Priestland miss that conversion!?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You could also argue that having a home final is more fair than having a neutral final as it rewards a good finish in the league.

Now come on. Leinster play multiple home games at the Aviva during the year - it's hardly a completely neutral venue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I thought having the rabo final in the RDS last year did the league no harm. Cracking atmosphere, as good as a Heineken cup knockout, packed stadium with both fans, it really made the league feel like a big deal. I'd rather a packed RDS/Thomond/Ravenhill than 35k in the Aviva. Glasgow hosting the final could be problematic though.

Liam Williams.........another yellow card.

He did seem to purposely tackle the guy in the air.......

Very lucky as the refs were talking about where Cuthbert landed, which was on his hip.

awec wrote: »
    Now come on. Leinster play multiple home games at the Aviva during the year - it's hardly a completely neutral venue for them.

We play two and Munster play one but my point was more that in the English and French leagues the only benefit of finishing top is you get a play off against the 4th placed team. In the Rabo you get the chance at a home Final.

The other multi country league, SuperXV, have it that the final is played in a home venue for the highest ranked team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Liam Williams.........another yellow card.

He did seem to purposely tackle the guy in the air.......

Very lucky as the refs were talking about where Cuthbert landed, which was on his hip.

This drives me nuts. The resulting injury/action should have no bearing on a refs decision. It's like waiting for somebody to be seriously injured by a tip tackle before red carding them.

Yeah it's a tricky one.

I'd have happily given Williams a red as it looked like he purposely took Cuthbert out in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

.ak wrote: »
    This drives me nuts. The resulting injury/action should have no bearing on a refs decision.

Where has this notion come from?

It does have a bearing on the refs decision, as it should. The laws don't provision for when a yellow/red should be given and if you take a tackle in the air (for example) there are clearly different severities of offence.
    It's like waiting for somebody to be seriously injured by a tip tackle before red carding them.

I don't really think it is, it's been mandated that a tip-tackle is a red, end of story, because of the consequences. The player in the William's incident basically landed on his arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    This drives me nuts. The resulting injury/action should have no bearing on a refs decision. It's like waiting for somebody to be seriously injured by a tip tackle before red carding them.

You're getting confused. Noone is waiting for someone to be injured. It is a greater offense if the tackled player lands on their head or neck, it's nothing to do with injury.

Advertisement