Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working in a job completely unrelated to your PhD

• 26-03-2014 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

Would love to hear from anyone now working outside academia/ in an area completely unrelated to their PhD studies.......

I'm more curious than anything as to how people transition to such roles. :)
    Did you have to do another qualification? Did your PhD (or skills gained along the way) help in securing the job?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Would love to hear from anyone now working outside academia/ in an area completely unrelated to their PhD studies.......

I'm more curious than anything as to how people transition to such roles. :)
    Did you have to do another qualification? Did your PhD (or skills gained along the way) help in securing the job?

Thanks

Hi SmallTeapot,

I've ended up working with data and becoming more interested in research academia as a result.

A couple of points.

There are no skills that you pick up as part at any level of education that you can't transfer as being relevant to a seemingly unrelated role, e.g. Communication, Teamwork, deadlines etc. etc.

So, having gained a PhD in whatever, you are now an expert in that area. However, what that also means is that you are also equipped to learn quickly, and think critically about any subject that is new to you.

Words like 'principles' and 'framework' can help you bridge this gap.

Sorry, I know this is kind of vague :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Thanks for the response keith16 - I had actually forgot that I started this thread.

Do you mind me asking what area your PhD was in? I'm currently completing one in science/medical field, which I love, but I want to keep my options open. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Thanks for the response keith16 - I had actually forgot that I started this thread.

Do you mind me asking what area your PhD was in? I'm currently completing one in science/medical field, which I love, but I want to keep my options open. :)

I never did a PhD in the end. Got to masters level in finance but am quite far removed from that.

Always comes up in interviews as to why I ended up doing something different to my masters. My answer is always the same. I don't see education as a means to an end, I value education in and of itself, the love of learning.

In your case, there are any number of things you can do, but there will be pharma, life sciences companies with all the usual corporate functions (and more) where your current background will help, and you can still retain a link to your core competency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

That is great advice, thanks Keith16. I'm only in my first year of my PhD & love it (for the most part! :D).

I more just keeping my options open for when the end of my studies is nigh.early days yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Well, I didn't do a phd but completed an MSc in physics, and now I'm a musician. How much more unrelated can you get?

The courses I did in college, I did them more because I was interested in them, as opposed to looking for something to get employment in. Nevertheless, I do find that what I have learned is certainly not a waste because the way of thinking is often related, especially when working out difficult stuff, etc. Anyway, I don't really know what I want to do with my life so will see what happens in a few years I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement