Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microbiology

Options
  • 06-04-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello. I have a 2.2 degree in microbiology. I am finding it impossible to gain practical experience. I have applied for jobs and the employers are uninterested unless I have 2-3 yrs experience. How can I gain experience if they don't give me a chance. I really havn't a clue what to do next.I would be really greatful if any of you have any advice you could pass on. Thanks . Molly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

This is a problem all graduates have and jobs are scarce enough in micro. That said if you're willing to relocate there are employers who will take on graduates. These may be employers who struggle to attract more experienced people.
    Another option may be to start off in a production job with a company. Often times if you have a foot in the door it's easier to move to a lab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭seamonkey92

You considering doing any further study? Applied Microbiology (Post-Grad, not Msc) course tend to have an extremely high success after graduation.

Other than that, there is alot of micro jobs going in the food industry but may need some experience.
    Considered doing free work placement or internship in a lab??? Maybe the place you did your degree on would be worth a look in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

Another option may be to start off in a production job with a company. Often times if you have a foot in the door it's easier to move to a lab.
    I used to work in a cheese factory, where there were one or two food science graduates. I wonder if that degree would be better than microbiology for getting into such a business though??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I used to work in a cheese factory, where there were one or two food science graduates. I wonder if that degree would be better than microbiology for getting into such a business though??

I wouldn't limit myself to one industry. Micro should allow you to enter into the food or pharma/medical device industries in terms of working in a lab.
    I see you have started a thread on choosing biochem or micro too. The thing to do is what you will enjoy most and as a result do better in. When you go looking for your first job after graduating it is the standard of your degree more so than the subject that will matter. Even in micro in industry a large proportion of graduates will have degrees in some other biological science and biochem would be considered close.
    If you have an interest in the food industry either subject will make you just as employable as a food science degree. Cheese for example is an example of how microorganisms are used for food production and the processes involved are biochemical reactions.

Advertisement