Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A late November stroll in the Woods in North Mayo

• 31-12-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I was away from home working for the first two weeks of December ... over the last two weeks I was around but the weather was terrible, strong winds combined with heavy rain. The weather and the Christmas merry-go-round meant I didn't get back to thew woods until yesterday.

Before yesterday my last stroll was in late November ... the image attached shows the winter light filtered through the trees that morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭NavanJames

This is part of our informal 'path' through the woods ... nothing planned, its just the natural route that's established itself between the 32 targets. We'll need to move them again in the new year. :)

One thing our woods is rich in is fungi ... I've very little knowledge of mushrooms and all other things fungi. Does anyone know what these are? We just leave them alone. I guess each living thing has a purpose and a place in the scheme of things. The fungi is probably more at home in the semi-wild woods than a 21st century man interloping for a few hours.

The route over to Target No. 18 - 'The Black Panther'

This is the big root-ball that is at the back of the red peg at Target No. 18. The bow that is lying against it has as 25" riser and short SF Elite+ carbon limbs. That's a 66" bow ... doesn't look very big does it?

The is the view from the red peg. If you look carefully you'll see the green and yellow pegs lower down the hill on the way to the target.

• Advertisement

The zoom on the camera built into the HTC isn't up to much ... thankfully the arrow is in the centre of the target.

I was happy enough with this shot ... my eyesight is not the best ... I shoot using contact lenses. I'm OK out to 40 yards but after that on a dark day I have difficulty seeing if the arrows are in the target or not until I walk up.

I need to get a monocular or something. Does anyone know if there use legal is IFAA competitions?

I had a helper in late November; my ten year-old son ... I insisted he park-up the X-Box for a few hours. He sulked and wouldn't bring a bow so he decided to keep score once he got to the woods. I had to walk down and pull the arrows while he did the scribbling.

If you ever shoot with Alfie there's no fear he'll ever score you too much ... any mistakes made in the addition always seem to lean towards less rather than more. I'm not sure why that is? ;)

We both got back out to the woods yesterday afternoon. It was as great day here after very poor weather. I shot a few practice shots at the practice butt. Mr. 'I don't need to practice' headed straight off into the woods shooting 3D's with his RH Genesis compound.

I shot 3-4 arrows and each one hit way right. I had a sleeveless jacket on with a breast pocket and it was catching the string. I changed the jacket and I was back shooting sort-of down the middle with only every third arrow a flyer. :)

I headed off after my partner and caught-up with him. We strolled around and shot 20 odd targets with lots of shots at each ... scoring wasn't allowed yesterday.

The photo attached is my new buddy ... a Spigarelli BB riser that I got for Christmas. I've the same SF Elite+ shorts on it that I had on the Samick Masters riser. Looking forward to shooting this in 2014!

A bad shot of Alfie striding off towards the next target. He's right-handed and left eye dominant. I've suggested that he shoot lefty but he thinks I'm trying to convert him or something (as I'm a lefty). He's seems to view all things lefty as sinister.

I've suggested he close his left eye when he's lining-up the shot but again he thinks I'm mad. I can't really talk as I shoot lefty and I'm right-eye dominant. I simply never 'liked' shooting right-handed. Now I close my right eye once I've drawn the bow ... not great but it gets me by.

He'd enjoy it a bit more if he hit the target more often but I don't think I'm the right guy to explain this. I'll need to try and get someone else to shoot with him and give it a go.

Happy 2014, hoping all your ARROWS fly true! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Thanks for the pictures James. I've always felt at ease in woods. Maybe there's something in the mitochondrial DNA that lives on through the centuries. The woods were once our sole providers of all that was needed for life.

I wonder if those who are descended from plains dwellers feel the same in open spaces but for me it's the woods.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭zen260

NavanJames wrote: »
    This is the big root-ball that is at the back of the red peg at Target No. 18. The bow that is lying against it has as 25" riser and short SF Elite+ carbon limbs. That's a 66" bow ... doesn't look very big does it?
    Is this belleek woods in ballina by any chance???

No ... Massbrook Woods South of Crossmolina. I think many years ago an archery shoot was held in Belleek ... it would make a brilliant venue for a big archery competition, lots of carparking, accommodation, lovely woods with the river Moy in the background and very close to Ballina town centre amenities. The proliferation of people out walking make it unsuitable for regular archery though. :(

Regards, James.

Advertisement