Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Banished

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Look cool will be keeping an eye on this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sounds really cool and different.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Going through Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Releasing on February 18th

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/10/out-of-exile-banished-releasing-in-february/

Probably will wait for some reviews or lets plays before buying but looks promising

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll be picking this up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

damn..looks pretty interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Thanks for reminding me about this game OP, was following it, and it looks interesting! Really enjoy these types of city builders, where it's not just about building up a big army to fight other nations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Looks very good from what I've seen.

How come there's no price up on steam for this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

How come there's no price up on steam for this yet?

He's said on the site it will $19.99 so probably about that in euros on Steam.

Looks really good - very impressive for a one-man team.
    Very tempted to pick it up once it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Definite purchase. I've been watching quill18 play it and been very jealous! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Same, day 1 purchase for me. Been following it for quite some time.

23 hours to go.

*tap, tap, tap*

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Does anyone know what time exactly it's released?

Skittle wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time exactly it's released?

Around 7pm tomorrow. I think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

dregin wrote: »

As much as I want Steam's auto-patching etc... Sold!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Steam purchase here, you can get a non DRM download also

Steam purchase here, you can get a non DRM download also

Sweet. Aren't I glad I got distracted before getting out the credit card. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

New indie city builder that's just come out today (GOG / Steam).

I picked it up just before lunch and had a quick run through. It's very pretty and seems to have a nice pace to it. I remember seeing something about it some months ago and thinking "oh, that looks interesting."

I've not played Anno 2070, but I've seen it in action and that's possibly the closest thing I've seen that this resembles (except that it's obviously a medieval era game rather than future).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bought it today, it crashed when i tried to load the first tutorial but i'll say this

I ****ing love those menus

so responsive, so basic and they just ****ing work with no fuss, razzmatazz or bollocksology

and that click sound.
    it's worth the money just for that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really impressed with how in depth the game is so far. My only gripe is the graphics are sub par but it's not a major complaint, the gameplay mechanics heavily outweigh it so far.

Will play a couple of hours more before I have a final verdict on it.

Well I'm personally loving this game so far. A good few hours into my first town, had a population of about 200 and I accepted my first group of nomads into the town. Low and behold they brought a disease into my town and wiped half my population :(

Started another this morning but this time I will focus more on herbal medicine and treatments. The game really holds a delicate balance between the citizen's needs, really great to see and so far it's quite difficult to master.

Another few gripes on it, I had to enable event log so I could track what time of the year it was, as my crops were dying as winter approached and I was none the wiser on it, that cost me a few miserable winters. Also there's no priority building, the citizens will build whatevers closest to their house and will abandon buildings that are further away, which is a bit annoying.

Apologies DCully, I did a quick search (cause I was sure I'd seen a thread alright), but didn't find it :) Thanks for the heads up.

[EDIT]
    I started a thread on the Games forum, not thinking to look here for a thread :o Threads merged now.

Anyway, This game is the latest in a line of "I'll play for an hour and then should think aobut bed - frak how did it become 3am?!" sorts of games :D

So far every town I've had has over-expanded and ran out of food (with a few running out of firewood). I can never seem to keep enough of a stock of logs too despite having a couple of Forester stations out in a big wooded area slightly away from the rest of the town.

I played it for a while last night. Nice. I can very easily see how slightly misjudging when to expand, when to stockpile or what buildings you need could really mess you up. Farming seems sub-par until you're quite big though, it's just not as reliable as gathering due to early Autumn freezes. Once you get a decently large town though you'll be forced to farm for food variety (fishing is the other food source that scales very well) and be forced to maintain a big enough food stockpile to survive two unlucky Autumns at least.

I'm enjoying it, I can really see it not being everyone's cup of tea though. Losing a woman to childbirth or anyone to a falling tree whilst collecting wood early screws you quite a bit.

Yea, I hadn't initially used the Gatherers and I really regret that, they should be one of the first buildings you get down I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You can get it cheaper on the Humble Store. Not sure what the price is in euro but i picked it up for £11.99 instead of the £14.99 it was on Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

What a great game!

My first attempt saw me end up in year 10 with 6 old men left.......ooopsie!

But the game I'm on now is far better, have about 50 people in year 7 and lots of food. My advice is don't be over ambitious, build a maximum of 2 buildings in a year and vary your food supply. Also things can get screwed really easily, you may think food is important but if you run out of tools and have a bad harvest you're well on your way to a winter of pain, and even if you fix it the lost time and resources can see you in trouble a year or so later....

Advertisement