Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack on Titan

• 01-09-2013 8:51am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This needs its own thread :P

Amazing show so far, episode 21 just tipped it over the edge for me, so well done. Fantastic show, as I said in the other thread, probably the best anime in the last 5 years.

Anyone else watching/reading it, and what do you think of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'm only up to 19 but tbh, I really don't think it lives up to the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's much better than a lot of the crap out there but I just don't think it's as amazing as many people herald it to be. I watched Suisei no Gargantia last season alongside it and thought that was about 50 times more enjoyable.

My main issue with the series has been the pacing, although admittedly it hasn't been as bad the last few episodes. Other than that it's just down to personal taste I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Up to episode 20, and I'm really enjoying it. Sure, maybe it is a bit overhyped, but its still fantastic. I love the setting, and it certainly looks gorgeous.
    in a way I think its kind of a novel mecha show, with Eren's titan form being the 'mech' in this case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How many episodes will there be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

How many episodes will there be?

25. Apparently there's more source material than that though and considering its success, a 2nd season seems likely at some point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The manga is currently up to date (ie episode 25 will be the last chapter in the current manga), so there'll probably be a 2 year hiatus for season 2 (or break it into 12 episode series' given its popularity).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

I like the fact that it's not Moe. And has excellent artwork, a great sense of motion - especially when the 3DMG comes out - and the fact that lots of people go splat quite messily and entertainingly. The OP is ****ing explosive and sets up everything about the universe in 90 seconds. (If you get the right translation)

The only thing I don't like is the pacing. Which bounces around quite abit. Especially in the midparts of the series where they're clearly saving budget with massive recaps and long 'philosophical' talks to pad things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Genevaman

I've only seen the first two episodes as of yet. I love the concept, setting, character/creature design (the Titans look amazing) but I've yet to be won over by the actual characters themselves.

Maybe it's just the beginning but I just can't the main protagonist so far. He's too intense. Every line of dialogue seems to be either screamed or blubbered out through tears. That and all the over the top turns and close up shots makes the show too melodramatic for my taste. Even before the Titans actually attack it seems the protagonist can't utter a single word without shouting about injustice or weakness. Who the heck actually talks like that?

It's really annoying as everything else about the anime makes me want to love it. I'll give maybe two or three more episodes a go before deciding whether or not to drop it. I really don't want to but if the characters don't stop seeming so exaggerated soon I don't see how the appeal will last.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the melodrama is a constant?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Excedion

Eh, I really enjoyed the anime and got frustrated having to wait so I started reading the manga. I dont really like some of the plot progression in the last few chapters of the manga, it seems theyre just heaping on more and more mysteries to create some sort of ultimate cliffhanger for the anime (though i have a feeling the manga might take a break after chapter 50 :()

Also I'm finding myself hating armin more and more since most of the screen time of the three muskateers seems to revolve around him or erens monologues, not mikasa who IMO is a good bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Genevaman wrote: »
    I've only seen the first two episodes as of yet. I love the concept, setting, character/creature design (the Titans look amazing) but I've yet to be won over by the actual characters themselves.

Maybe it's just the beginning but I just can't the main protagonist so far. He's too intense. Every line of dialogue seems to be either screamed or blubbered out through tears. That and all the over the top turns and close up shots makes the show too melodramatic for my taste. Even before the Titans actually attack it seems the protagonist can't utter a single word without shouting about injustice or weakness. Who the heck actually talks like that?

It's really annoying as everything else about the anime makes me want to love it. I'll give maybe two or three more episodes a go before deciding whether or not to drop it. I really don't want to but if the characters don't stop seeming so exaggerated soon I don't see how the appeal will last.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the melodrama is a constant?

The awesomeness is constant :cool: I had goosebumps watching episode 24... so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I've read the manga and watch a few of the episodes. I'm waiting until it's all released on Blu-Ray because they're redrawing some of the animation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Well, I've watched the final episode and the series is now over. Is it kind of creepy that I want Mikasa and Eren to get together? :P

Going to try and avoid spoilers, but, yeah, ending was a bit annoying.

Although, the final scene was well done. And, yeah, I think the art has gotten much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I really hope there's more plot progression in the next season, because my biggest criticism is that things seem to be very dragged out mid-season

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just watched the first episode, pretty amazing. Last time I loved a first episode like this was teh first few mins of elfen lied heh.
    This and deathnote are the openings I can never skip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

woops watched 10 episodes last night :|

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

And your thoughts are...

Well there is a reason I couldn't stop watching for 10 episodes. :D So good. Potato girl ftw

Also found the titans amazingly creepy, it has great atmosphere along with looking good, if anything it's too fast paced

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I watched about 15 episodes but dropped it. It bored me after a while; maybe it's just not my cup of tea..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I did the exact same thing.:pac:

Can't remember where I heard about it first - think I saw a video somewhere but Day9 (of Starcraft casting fame) mentioned it the other day so I said I'd have a gander.

Didn't touch it for a few days. Then watched it non-stop from about 8pm til 4am yesterday morning.

And I appear to have done the same tonight. woopsie!:o
    Finished it now.

I love the titans. The way they move is equally terrifying and hilarious. Nightmarish grins, walking like giant babies with the arms splayed out. But fast as well, to make them even freakier.
    I particularly liked the
    spidery abnormal that chased the scouts when they did the mission out to the forest, just before the she-titan turned up.

This is the first Anime I've watched. But some of the music did remind of the South Park episdoe "Fun Times with Weapons".

I also love the way they say Erawin Smeesuh.

I only wish I hadn't discovered it for another year so the wait for the next series wouldn't be as long.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Wossack

my rose tinted glasses slipped the last few episodes - very much enjoy it, but pacing is wonky at times :o

Wossack wrote: »
    my rose tinted glasses slipped the last few episodes - very much enjoy it, but pacing is wonky at times :o

Yeah, quite often they spend half an episode in slow motion or time stands still why they reason out things or plan something and then all the action is done and dusted in 30 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Wossack

seemed to breeze the 3d maneouver gear training too - could have stretched a half season out of that I'd have thought

but then dwelled a long time (I felt) on how the scouting party is formated, and the various smoke signals etc - which I'd say could have been adequately summerized by one of those mid episode stills almost.

I guess it might be difficult to conjure material where there mightnt be any - I dont know the manga's at all, and if they suffer similarly

On the subject of material though, theres seems to be a raft of it - loved the small snippets in the mid episode stills, explaining the cannons, walls, religious cult, 3d gear, army organisation etc - really fleshed out the world I thought. Salute was really cool too

Also totally second the freakiness of the titans..! they did a really good job at making them absolutely horrific - bleugh, some of the scenes
    (finding the coughed up undigested bodies - they dont eat to feed, just to kill.. feck me)

Intro and outro music has been pretty great also :)

Could have done so much with the training, cadets dying and breaking down etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I loved the ending, a bit sad now it's over. I'll have no more cliffhangers to look forward to each weekend :) So many mysteries unresolved, the story about the miner was just creepy and left me dying to know more about the walls! Is anyone who finished the anime going on to read the manga now? I haven't read any myself, but find the temptation hard to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Madjackjr

I loved the ending, a bit sad now it's over. I'll have no more cliffhangers to look forward to each weekend :) So many mysteries unresolved, the story about the miner was just creepy and left me dying to know more about the walls! Is anyone who finished the anime going on to read the manga now? I haven't read any myself, but find the temptation hard to resist.

Normally I don't read the manga of a anime I watched first ( I don't like to spoil the story on my self) but in this case I did and I don't regret it. A lot of the mysteries are revealed plus more mysteries present then selves. So in short read the manga :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I loved the ending, a bit sad now it's over.

Surely there would be a season 2 ? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Finished the series about 5 minutes ago. Fantastic anime, engaging story and great animation. Tingles were had at times!

There'll be a second series, no doubt, yet we'll have to wait a year I reckon before it gets English subs :(

I'd say about a year or so and we'll get 12/13 episodes in season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

On ep8 so far. It's good but has annoying bits, nothing too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just finished it now, great show altogether.

Advertisement