Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Got machine with TN Screen instead of IPS

Options
  • 26-01-2015 8:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently I bought a machine from a well known electronics shop. I stupidly did it because of the fact I needed a machine desperately and didn't have chance to wait for deliver from online.

The machine was advertised as an IPS screen, but when I got home the machine clearly has a TN screen (and a very poor one at that)

I was thinking about buying a different laptop from the same store, that was 100 euro cheaper, but paid for this one because of the fact that it had an IPS screen, was portable (ASUS Transformer)

Now the store are refusing to take the machine back, and state since I opened the package to test the machine it cannot be returned. They claim that the spec if it has changed at all is only minor and cannot be proven therefore I am not entitled to a refund or replacement.

It also came with a 3 cell battery rather than the one that was actually advertised (6 cell)

This is outrageous, but does anyone have any experience what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sounds like you could easily beat then in small claims court tbh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This is the machine:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/product/asus-transformer-book-flip-tp300-133-2-in-1-aluminium/318243/104.12

This is what I got:
    http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/231156/asus-transformer-book-flip-tp300la-dw007h#tab:specificaties

Note that the specs there confirm that it's a TN screen in this variation of the TP300la, rather than the IPS one that the PC World website claimed. PC World claim that they cannot verify third party sites and that my screen may well be IPS. (It isn't, the viewing angles are typical of a low end TN screen).

Also the box that the machine came in says that a three cell battery is included, but again the PC World advert claims that there is a six cell battery included. Again this is incorrect as proven by the label on the box.

PC World claim that as I did not buy online, I cannot use the online spec as proof that I have been mis-sold as they did not make these claims in store. Now that may well be the truth, but it still for me is mis-selling based on something being advertised as being in store, being different from the product that was offered.

I bought that laptop primary for the portability and screen. A transformer laptop is useless with a screen with terrible viewing angles and not fit for the purpose I bought it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Phone The CAI, they'll tell you exactly where you stand, but in my experience, if you receive something other than what was agreed, it's entirely their problem.

http://thecai.ie/contact/

21/25

Advertisement