Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

dying light 200

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

Yeah, I'll be there. Always enjoy this one at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Yep, if the throat infection clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Yes. Are you bringing along the new Ti ride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Yes. Are you bringing along the new Ti ride?

Yep.

Can anyone make sense of the route sheet?
    Several L roads on it that don't exist in any map browser that I have used?
    I can't use the bikeroytetoaster link as it doesn't work on an iPad.
    I did this a few years back and there was a similar issue - direct routes between villages were taken because we couldn't find the back roads.
    Anyway - weather forecast is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alas no. My 21st wedding anniversary is on the 25th. You'll pass the church where I got married at Porterstown near the end of the spin...

There are a couple of subtle turns on this route. One or two of them are "did we just pass a turn back there?" sorts of turn.

Fresh to strong southwest winds will give ye a bit of a workout.

Have fun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll be there. I rode the route in June so the conditions will be a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I'll be there. I rode the route in June so the conditions will be a bit different.

Best of luck - hope the Garmin behaves this time! Weather actually looks quite similar to June, perhaps with more sun, appropriate I guess for the event!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Signed up.
    Route wise? Just tag along.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

@cdaly......yeah, SW wind looks like it's going to be an issue.
    Dagnabbit!!

Really looking fwd to this. For all sorts of reasons I have done absolutely nothing on the bike this year. Need this mentally sonyear is not a complete write off. Not sure if I have the miles in the legs, but ah well.

Does anyone know anywhere to stop along the route for some nice soup or a good scone and coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There are feed stops at Ardee and Athboy.

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I mean by soup, tea and scones.
    Looking for a nice place to grab a seat for a little while and enjoy a tea or coffee. No disrespect intended to the volunteers manning the stops. Last time I did this the food stops were top notch. But standing by the roadside in October ain't great fun.

But standing by the roadside in October ain't great fun.

Rule #5 applies to Audax events as well.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

ROK ON wrote: »
    Thanks, but that's not exactly what I mean by soup, tea and scones.
    Looking for a nice place to grab a seat for a little while and enjoy a tea or coffee. No disrespect intended to the volunteers manning the stops. Last time I did this the food stops were top notch. But standing by the roadside in October ain't great fun.

Kingscourt is probably your best bet, about halfway around the route and has a wide main street with a couple of coffee shops and pubs. If you grab a bottle fill and a snack in Ardee then I'd say aim for there. The run into Kells and Athboy as far as I recall is fairly flat but Kells is quite busy and close to Athboy so you might as well keep going. With a SW predicted though it may mean that run is into the wind so being flat may be irrelevant so another good reason to stop at Kingscourt! After Athboy I don't remember there being too much in terms of coffee shops, but a few closed down pubs :( were present.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DaithiMC wrote: »
    so another good reason to stop at Kingscourt!
    Also just after the only real climb of the day so you know you have earned your sit down.
    After Athboy I don't remember there being too much in terms of coffee shops, but a few closed down pubs :( were present.
    From memory there is nothing after Athboy till you hit the city again and Athboy seemed dead the last time I passed through, the hotel might have something, Its a fairly easy going return with or against wind as it is fairly sheltered .

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Looks like you're having a cracking day weather wise, a bit blowy but dry
    in Dublin. Enjoy the day. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melovelo

Very quick pace for an Audax! Andreas putting on a feast at the end made it all wortwhile! Legendary stuff!

What a pity I couldn't join. After three days of ignoring mild throat problems I've developed a proper sinus infection yesterday.... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

That was a nice ride of the falling leaves. The weather was warm enough despite the steady headwind on the way back. Even the passing showers between Kingscourt and Athboy weren't a deterrent. I was in a fast group for the first 60km and then I rode in between groups for the next 70 and the most of the final 70 on my own back into Dublin.

Great organisation from the pate and baguette at the first stop in Ardee to the sausages and fantastic potato salad at the end.

http://www.strava.com/activities/212087918

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Just want to put in a large tribute to Andreas for the organisation and the big spread at the end - beer, soup, german sausages, homemade biscuits and jager amongst other selections. Stops were well manned and tremendous support along the way. Top marks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Would echo the comments above, and can't really commend Andreas and Sharon (plus friends and family) highly enough for opening up their home to us yesterday and treating us to the best hospitality i've enjoyed all year on the cycling circuit..I couldnt get enough of that Pumpkin soup..and as it later transpired I definitely overdid it on the beer and spirits as i had very fuzzy memory of getting home around 11pm!!

As for the cycle once we we made the turn at Athboy i felt that a nice steady, but brisk, pace took hold amonst the group I was in..and the weariness and empty legs beginning to take hold as we rolled through Kells earlier lifted and I got a second wind...saying that the toughest part of the day for me was the suffering drag up past Culmullin Church from the turn off the R147 Trim - Batterstown road (i wasnt exepcting it!), that just went on and on into a relentless headwind...on the flip side the turn at the top gave sweet relief for the next few kilometres as we swept through a nice series of descending S bends on good wide road till we hit the bottom of Ashtown Hill..from thereonin we had a slight tailwind and it was just a case of maintaining focus and concentration and keeping it between the ditches after that. one scary moment was coming aroudn a bend in road with a wide carpet of matted fallen leaves lying on the centre of the road and then encountering a stationary fire truck on same blind bend on our side of the road..cue feathering on brakes and shouts of warning to the group behind and tahnkfully we all safely navigated our way through...real heart in mouth stuff..but exhilarating all the same!

All in all, briiliant day (and evening)..some good banter, slightly lucky with the weather..reengaged my love of all things biking that had been slipping of late for varying reasons.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

Advertisement