Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lulzsec merge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

stovelid wrote: »
    Let's not get carried away.
    "originally posted by Sky news!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If he was apart of it, let god have mercy on his soul cause fanatic Minecraft players won't :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Had a feeling this was one guy alright.
    I will wait and see if he tweets anything.
    The actual press release says nothing about Lulzsec.

If anything, lulzsec reaffirmed how important it is to have different passwords.

If he was apart of it, let god have mercy on his soul cause fanatic Minecraft players won't :pac::pac::pac:
    He didn't hack MC. He just DDos'd it a little.

No harm, no foul :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cc4life

Not sure if I'm happy about this. The guy was an arsehole, but this is just going to cause more problems, with similar idiots looking to avenge him, or something.
    Also, do we have a computer misuse act, or something similar? I'll be burning my computers tonight if we do.

I dont think he was an idiot..more of a computer genius to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I very much doubt LulzSec was a single person

cc4life wrote: »

I don't think that is the case.
    All along the twitter feed was claiming that this was all very very basic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Should have used mgeni.

Just joking, in case the computer nerds try to arrest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Computer genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

cc4life wrote: »

Getting caught with significant evidence shows otherwise.

• Advertisement

Eh, its now reported on the BBC, claiming it happened last night. But Lulzsec have tweeted 8 hours ago, would have been 5 this morning.

http://twitter.com/#!/LulzSec/status/83017011554295808
    A teenager has been arrested in a joint Scotland Yard and FBI investigation into the hacking of websites.

The 19-year-old man was held during a raid at a house in Wickford, Essex.

On Monday, the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca) took its website offline after it was attacked by Lulz Security hackers.

Scotland Yard would not confirm the arrest was connected but did say that it followed a series of distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.

The raid in Essex was a "pre-planned, intelligence-led" operation, it said.

The teenager was arrested under the Computer Misuse Act and Fraud Act and is being questioned at a central London police station.

He was arrested by the Metropolitan Police's e-crime unit.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "The arrest follows an investigation into network intrusions and distributed denial of service attacks against a number of international business and intelligence agencies by what is believed to be the same hacking group.

"Searches at a residential address in Wickford, Essex, following the arrest last night have led to the examination of a significant amount of material. These forensic examinations remain ongoing."

Scotland Yard is co-operating with the FBI as well as Essex Police.

When Lulz Security, or LulzSec, first appeared in May, the group portrayed itself as a light-hearted organisation, bent on creating online fun and Lulz (laughs).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13859868

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Saviola

I'll miss the tweets, he was quite entertaining. The "e-crime" squad should give him a job if anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Seriously, this with NATO blowing up residential areas.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I very much doubt LulzSec was a single person
    I would be inclined to say he was... His tweets and general comments web-wide were always in the same style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

My opinion of cyber-terrorist (or the widely used term 'hacker') is fair play to them as long as they're not hurting anyone or getting in to any of my accounts.

I'm wondering why people are reacting so strongly against these groups. "Derp derp our internets aren't safe herp derp. They're criminals....herpity derp."

They're as safe as they ever were, especially if you have a smidge of common sense browsing it.

Oh and also please change your password(s) from the word "password". It's idiotic. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Tallon wrote: »
    "originally posted by Sky news!!!!"

Can you press the red button to vote on how it's gonna end for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Trampas wrote: »
    CIA will probably offer him a job to fix up the security issues

Doubtful. It's easy to run a DDoS attack on a network - it requires much more know-how to actually defend against it. The amount of 'hackers' I come across on forums, who memorise attacks - but don't actually understand the logic behind them is astounding.

Pretty much anyone can crash a network, or deface a website these days.. But only a few are actually intelligent enough to understand it from an attack and defense POV.

In anycase - If this lad is responsible, I hope they throw the book at him. He's an arrogant prick, who posted the private details of thousands of people online for ****s and giggles. At least wikileaks have some morals, and a political motive - this loser is a part of an ever-growing trend of morons within the compusec community that don't abide by the usual set of basic ethics. Look, but don't damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

What was his reasoning behind DDOSing MInecraft?

Tallon wrote: »
    I would be inclined to say he was... His tweets and general comments web-wide were always in the same style

Yes, the tweets probably were, but there's certainly a group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

seanbmc wrote: »

Lulz of course

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    Oh and also please change your password(s) from the word "password". It's idiotic. :pac:

I'm not that stupid, mines
    : Pa55word

What are you basing this on?

Well that's a different argument altogether. Lulsec is one man...

Probably just because he could. They were migrating them at the time so they were vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

They were taking request for a few days, also took down EVE Online.

Or maybe just to draw attention to his one day campaign of DDoSing.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    What are you basing this on?

The Jester and an anonymous blog named them:

http://twitter.com/#!/th3j35t3r
    http://th3j35t3r.wordpress.com/
    http://lulzsecexposed.blogspot.com/

http://www.thehackernews.com/2011/06/uk-police-arrest-suspected-lulzsec-19.html
    Police would not say whether the man is believed to be linked to either the Anonymous or Lulz Security

More than likely he's just some guy in Anonymous, all you gotta do is say you're in Anonymous and you're in there, no hacking skills required. The Police will be looking for a scapegoat as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jester`

Just to clarify for some people, this guy could just be a young and naive guy who got pulled into a "hacking community" and was asked to run a program from his computer to take part in a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack against the organizations that have been recently targeted by groups like LulzSec. Another situation could be he accidentally installed a virus on his computer, and his computer was used as a zombie in a botnet to aid in performing DDos attacks. A botnet is controlled by a third party.

He could have been arrested due to his internet traffic showing someone on his connection performing attacks against the targets. The police now need to perform forensic analysis on his computer media looking for evidence to either convict him, or clear him of charges.

This is going to happen more and more as groups like LulzSec recruit people to help with their cause. People who do not realize they could be committing a crime, and just think they are taking part in something fun, until they get a knock on the door.

More than likely he's just some guy in Anonymous, all you gotta do is say you're in Anonymous and you're in there, no hacking skills required. The Police will be looking for a scapegoat as usual

Kind of irrelevant if his twitter starts posting again!!!!

• Advertisement

Interesting.
    Still not sure I buy it.
    But I'm not reading all that, so I will just accept the strong possibility I am wrong.

Advertisement