Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop Upgrade

Options
  • 13-01-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

My Dell Inspriron 1545 is now fast approaching its 5th birthday and I think I need an upgrade.

I just use it for general web browsing, microsoft office, iTunes and Football Manager.

I have a max budget of €650, can anyone recommend a machine for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Is the only game you play FM? If so do you use the match engine if ya dont, ya dont need gaming graphics per say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Nolars wrote: »
    Is the only game you play FM? If so do you use the match engine if ya dont, ya dont need gaming graphics per say.

Just now yes but I also play the likes of command+conquer, settlers, civilisation etc

I was looking at this one from Dell if anyone has any comments on it

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5547-laptop/pd?oc=cn54716&model_id=inspiron-15-5547-laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ColdCotton

I just use it for general web browsing, microsoft office, iTunes and Football Manager.My Dell Inspriron 1545 is now fast approaching its 5th birthday and I think I need an I have a max budget of €650, can anyone recommend a machine for me.

I have the same trouble with a MBP that is about the same age. Battery wont hold a charge and the charger L connector is freyed. Also I tried to update to Yosemite however it is really slow. So I am stuck on 10.6 Lion. I am wondering is it worth fixing the problems and try and upgrade as much as I can. As in fit it with as much ram as it can take and a new ssd drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

ColdCotton wrote: »
    I have the same trouble with a MBP that is about the same age. Battery wont hold a charge and the charger L connector is freyed. Also I tried to update to Yosemite however it is really slow. So I am stuck on 10.6 Lion. I am wondering is it worth fixing the problems and try and upgrade as much as I can. As in fit it with as much ram as it can take and a new ssd drive.
    Not a solution for the Op but if it's any help I got a new charger for my Macbook Air in CompuB and Yosemite is running very nicely on it - installation was a bit iffy but I'd definitely recommend a clean install after/over an upgrade. I've 4GB RAM and an SSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ColdCotton

Kavrocks wrote:
    Not a solution for the Op but if it's any help I got a new charger for my Macbook Air in CompuB and Yosemite is running very nicely on it - installation was a bit iffy but I'd definitely recommend a clean install after/over an upgrade. I've 4GB RAM and an SSD.

Cheers I am just thinking about the pro and cons.

By the time of I have bought a new charger frm compub , (90e) a new ssd drive (90e), new decent battery (90e)and possible new ram (50e) your looking at about 300e.

Sure I could get a new laptop for another 200e . So am I am just wondering what ppl would do in my situation.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ColdCotton wrote: »
    By the time of I have bought a new charger frm compub , (90e) a new ssd drive (90e), new decent battery (90e)and possible new ram (50e) your looking at about 300e.

You don't need any of that for your light use, unless it is no longer charging (you don't mention that). Even if you need one, you can buy a replacement charger for a fraction of the €90 you mention

Just wipe the OS and reinstall. You'll be amazed how fast it will be without all the crap that was originally installed when you bought your Dell

If your 1545 came with 2GB of RAM, that will be adequate for W7. An upgrade to 4GB is not expensive

Get another year or two out of it and save yourself hundreds by not having to buy a new laptop yet

Advertisement