Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Camper truck conversion time insurance

Options
  • 15-02-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there
    im looking to get my Iveco 7.5 box truck insured whilst im converting it into a campervan any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hi and welcome to the forum. I've moved this to a new thread for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I wonder though if the OP keeps the van up north for a year in his own name...then when he moves South will he be exempt from VRT??
    I know this used to be the case with cars a few years back...if you owned a car for 6 months or a year prior to importing it you were exept.
    This could be a nice little loophole :-)
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    ....This could be a nice little loophole :-)

nope ..
    a) it's illegal and b) it's got nothing to do with the original insurance question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MrGadget

Thank you peasant,

In your case I would recommend that you ring as many insurance companies as possible and just ask.

Your first problem is going to be that not every insurance will recognise your finished project as a camper, some insist on there being a walk-through between cab and living area (I think that's also a pre-requisite for the vehicle registration as a camper, but i'm not sure)

And as for the inbetween stage ...your guess is as good as mine as to who would insure you, at what price and at which conditions.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    nope ..
    a) it's illegal and b) it's got nothing to do with the original insurance question

I dont see how its illegal if he keeps it up north @ his folks?
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I dont see how its illegal

I do

We will not have a discussion here on how to avoid / circumvent /cheat on VRT. Not in this thread, not on this forum.

This is an "official" moderator post, consider yourself notified and warned.

Im just after re reading the thread and this is not the thread i originally intended replying to.
    The original thread mentioned having an address in the north hence the angle on my reply...also im sure it was an 06 camper that was being imported from germany to ireland(to an address up the north)
    Now i just searched the forum and cant find that thread...so im either gone blind and replied to a different thread...and hence take your point in that my advice is bordering on the "dodgy side"...or something fishy has happenned to this thread(in that the content has been totally changed)
    Marty.

Advertisement