Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ACL recovery problem

Options
  • 15-07-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

So im just over 7 months post op and started to get back training for soccer. I was playing tonight and whatever way I landed i twisted my knee or something. It wasnt that painful but it gave me a small shock. I could still jog on it and jump but it was a bit sore when trying turning movements. I sat out as I didnt want to do any more damage and im now worried that I might of done something to it again.

Anyone have same troubles or advice, please share....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I would see a physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You might just have tweaked the liagments. Any swelling?.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

No swelling which is a relief, and can pull back with a little pain...

69cokaz wrote: »
    No swelling which is a relief, and can pull back with a little pain...
    I doubt its anything too serious since there is no swelling & u can jump with no pain. Id rest for a day or two & take some anti-inflammatories & see whats its like in a few days. Also i would do some foam rolling & strengthening evercises if there is no pain doing them. Good Luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mikept

Try stretching your TFL muscle will pull on your IT band and will help take the pressure of the outside of the knee.

You tube TFL stretches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

It took me 15 month to get full confidence back after my ACL. Did the same as you went back to football after 7-8 month and every little knock or twist had me worried. As said above really concentrate on building up the muscles around your knee before going back to competitive sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Also if you can after each session put some ice on the knee for about 20 minute, I know it helps my knees recover quicker after a sessions also helps keep any swelling and soreness down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

Cheers lads, went to a physio and he said that its fairly normal for this to happen. Im back playing again anyway and ive played two matches without any trouble so it looks all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Hi,

I am one week out from being 5 months post op today. Had the surgery in Santry with Ray Moran, for the last two months I have been trying to get back into a proper gym routine.

Mainly I use the bike, treadmill, cross trainer and do some plyometrics training also. I have been steadily increasing the weight I am using on the leg extension and leg press and the number of reps coupled with balance work etc.

Just after Christmas I began to get pain either side just below the knee cap and a short sharp pain at the back of the knee at full extension. As a result had pain performing all of the above. Went to my physio who said it was normal and will pass, it did after 5-6 days. All of a sudden its back. Even at low weight I cannot perform leg extensions without knee pain and the cross trainer and cycling is all I can do.

After all the work put in it feels like a big step backward, has anyone else experienced this?

Its getting to me as there was no reason for it to start and this is the first complication if you will that I have had.

Thanks in advance for any replies and sorry for the long post

gtansey44 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am one week out from being 5 months post op today. Had the surgery in Santry with Ray Moran, for the last two months I have been trying to get back into a proper gym routine.

Mainly I use the bike, treadmill, cross trainer and do some plyometrics training also. I have been steadily increasing the weight I am using on the leg extension and leg press and the number of reps coupled with balance work etc.

Just after Christmas I began to get pain either side just below the knee cap and a short sharp pain at the back of the knee at full extension. As a result had pain performing all of the above. Went to my physio who said it was normal and will pass, it did after 5-6 days. All of a sudden its back. Even at low weight I cannot perform leg extensions without knee pain and the cross trainer and cycling is all I can do.

After all the work put in it feels like a big step backward, has anyone else experienced this?

Its getting to me as there was no reason for it to start and this is the first complication if you will that I have had.

Thanks in advance for any replies and sorry for the long post
    I wouldn't be doing them exercises after an ACL injury. Leg extensions put alot of strain on your knee along with leg extensions they are not good exercises imo.

I would start doing Squats & Lunges . If u can't do them maybe look for a coach to teach you them. Performed correctly there great for rehabbing an ACL injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Thanks for the reply. I was following the advice of my physio when doing extensions, began going from 90 to 60 degrees at first with 15kg and began slowly working out to full extension never with any pain. I literally woke up one morning and began getting the pain. She suggested it could have simply been due to an awkward sleeping position. I was able to do them again after a few days.

I took a two week break as I had exams and since I have gone back the problem has arisen again. The pain is focused on the outside of the knee its hard to describe as its in the area which is still kind of numb from the surgery.

Advertisement