Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Macbeth Essays - What's Everyone Covering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

That would be such a lovely question. Could they please please do that? :P If you could track it down that would be great because I'd be interested in reading it to see what points they made.
    And not to go off topic but did they mention anything about poetry?

I can't find it in any of my folders but I'll be getting it off a friend on Monday, along with a Macduff question so I'll post them then. :) They didn't really mention anything specific for poetry just that they'll most likely stick with the theme + style questions and will probably stay away from the personal response questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

An essay on Macduff would be going a step too far on the SEC's part tbh, his character is very black-and-white, the only real flaw is that he left his family apparently unprotected? Good vs evil is the only way I see of them introducing him really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Macduff is a much more important character and the plot is dependant on him. Take Banquo away and the plot would basically be the same minus a few scenes. I reckon neither of them will come up in the end tbh, all we're going on is what someone said. It's Plath and Heaney all over again.

I'll probably end up learning stuff on Banquo in the end though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Macduff is a much more important character and the plot is dependant on him. Take Banquo away and the plot would basically be the same minus a few scenes. I reckon neither of them will come up in the end tbh, all we're going on is what someone said. It's Plath and Heaney all over again.

banquo has come up in the past and was due to come up few years back when the papers were cocked up

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Anyone who has key notes handy is there an essay on Banquo? Lost mine but will borrow one of my friends if there is! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'll give the character of Banquo a look over just in case, but I won't focus on it too much. I'd love a nice question on the theme of kingship.. Anyways, if you learn the important quotes in the play, you'll be able to answer most of the questions they can ask. I'm learning off a lot of quotes that I can use, and I pretty much make up my answer on the spot. I'm just hoping we don't get two horrible questions! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I'm not too sure about Banquo on his own, but I could definitely see a question on how he and Macbeth give in to temptation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lollipops13

anybody with a decent essay on banquo please please post!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Yeah but it's his function that's important, not his actual character, and what they're looking for is for you to actually analyse a character, something that I just think would be near-impossible for the Duffster.

Debating the values of Macbeth characters, what have my weekends come to....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Eek, if anyone has a link to a sample essay or points or something on Banquo/Macduff I'd appreciate it a lot. Didnt even think of preparing anything on them and my teacher was a big fan of "lets read the play through and do two exam questions once we're done yep well done you've finished MacBeth!!!" Notes is not a thing we were given, so I kind of rely on Keynotes.

• Advertisement

Jade. wrote: »
    Anyone who has key notes handy is there an essay on Banquo? Lost mine but will borrow one of my friends if there is! :P

ye there are two

Slow Show wrote: »
    Yeah but it's his function that's important, not his actual character, and what they're looking for is for you to actually analyse a character, something that I just think would be near-impossible for the Duffster.

Debating the values of Macbeth characters, what have my weekends come to....:pac:

Depends how they phrase the question, if it's along the lines of "the importance of the character..." then Macduff would be much easier imo. I don't know, I'm just not feeling all the love for Banquo. :/ Honestly, I'm hoping neither come up.

Yes, I do feel a little sad debating this...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

ye there are two

Thank you :) Will have to get a loan of the book so!

thelad95 wrote: »
    Banquo is guilty of a type of treasonous inaction by inadvertently acquiescing in Macbeth's unlawful usurpation of the Scottish throne.

key notes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Lads, looking at the whole likeliness of Banquo appearing, i am beginning to fret. I pulled out a typed essay from some unknown source there now and it seems good. My question is, should I prepare my own now( which could take 3 hours for me) or just learn off that one. I have done out 100% essays on Bishop, Plath, theme/issue, cultural context, 3 paper 1 essays and One Kingship one. they all scored 100% (by a very hard corrector but they took me like 6 hours each.) I want that standard essay on Other topics in macbeth but don't have the time or the corrector! :P What should I Do?

On another note, has anyone any A1 standard essays on derek mahon and/or Adrienne rich??

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Lads, looking at the whole likeliness of Banquo appearing, i am beginning to fret. I pulled out a typed essay from some unknown source there now and it seems good. My question is, should I prepare my own now( which could take 3 hours for me) or just learn off that one. I have done out 100% essays on Bishop, Plath, theme/issue, cultural context, 3 paper 1 essays and One Kingship one. they all scored 100% (by a very hard corrector but they took me like 6 hours each.) I want that standard essay on Other topics in macbeth but don't have the time or the corrector! :P What should I Do?

On another note, has anyone any A1 standard essays on derek mahon and/or Adrienne rich??

http://jamietuohy.com/category/poetry/
    I think there is a good essay on here about Adrienne Rich :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

Where are all these promised essays?
    I suppose we just wait in this purgatory.
    ?bb_attachments=760031&bbat=85871&inline

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

Is anyone preparing for a question on the role of either Macduff or Malcolm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

hitchcock wrote: »
    Is anyone preparing for a question on the role of either Macduff or Malcolm?

As part of a Kimgship essay, but not by themselves.

I wrote a Banquo essay over the weekend and am yet to get it back corrected so will hopefully let you all know how it goes.
    With regards to a Macduff essay, I don't think I could do one, even if I tried my hardest.
    I'm not anticipating a LM/Macbeth relationship to come up as it came up the last time Macbeth was on the course; it may be risky but they have to examine other areas, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Banquo notes are on the way, in the form of pictures on Viber. :D The person only took down the essay in bullet points, as it was read out to us so I'll just post what I get and you can formulate your own essay out of the points if you want. :) I'm thinking it'll be a Banquo/Downfall/Kingship question personally, on the day. Hoping for downfall, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Banquo notes are on the way, in the form of pictures on Viber. :D The person only took down the essay in bullet points, as it was read out to us so I'll just post what I get and you can formulate your own essay out of the points if you want. :) I'm thinking it'll be a Banquo/Downfall/Kingship question personally, on the day. Hoping for downfall, myself.

brilliant thanks a mil :)

Here's my essay that I just got back, along with corrections and marking.
    The 1st paragraph will divide a few markers; some will say that humour shows a lack of respect towards the text/Shakespeare whereas some would say it is good to get a reader on side/entertained.
    Of course, the humour is in small doses and I really do praise Banquo in this essay so some of you may not agree and some questions may be hard to manipulate your points around.
    Give it a read anyway :)

The 1st paragraph will divide a few markers; some will say that humour shows a lack of respect towards the text/Shakespeare whereas some would say it is good to get a reader on side/entertained.
    Of course, the humour is in small doses and I really do praise Banquo in this essay so some of you may not agree and some questions may be hard to manipulate your points around.

I like it. The only thing, however, (and it's not got to do with this particular question) is that this essay would be very hard to manipulate to another question. So learning this one would leave one very limited if this particular question didn't come up.
    Obviously this is an excellent thing. but, for these not as good at english and wish to learn it off, this probably won't work.
    Well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

You make some really valid points in it. I like how you worked a bit of humour into it as well. Well done, thank you for sharing :)

I like it. The only thing, however, (and it's not got to do with this particular question) is that this essay would be very hard to manipulate to another question. So learning this one would leave one very limited if this particular question didn't come up.
    Obviously this is an excellent thing. but, for these not as good at english and wish to learn it off, this probably won't work.
    Well done! :)

Thanks :) Yeah, I tried to work the essay around the two questions I quoted at the start but as I got into the essay I found it increasingly difficult.
    As for learning essays, I don't think you should ever learn essays, no matter how 'general' they are. As my teacher says, you would end up including a point that isn't relevant because you would feel hard done by if you didn't.
    Just learn topic sentences and points about a certain aspect and that way you can choose your best 6 on the day that relate to the question.
    You make some really valid points in it. I like how you worked a bit of humour into it as well. Well done, thank you for sharing :)

Thank you :) I was 2nd guessing the humour but will definitely include it if the question permits on the day. After all, the Department want us to enjoy the English course and I feel the humour shows genuine engagement with the text :D

Thanks :) Yeah, I tried to work the essay around the two questions I quoted at the start but as I got into the essay I found it increasingly difficult.
    As for learning essays, I don't think you should ever learn essays, no matter how 'general' they are. As my teacher says, you would end up including a point that isn't relevant because you would feel hard done by if you didn't.
    Just learn topic sentences and points about a certain aspect and that way you can choose your best 6 on the day that relate to the question.

Thank you :) I was 2nd guessing the humour but will definitely include it if the question permits on the day. After all, the Department want us to enjoy the English course and I feel the humour shows genuine engagement with the text :D

Fair enough. I wrote many A1 standard essays in the past but they took ages for me to do! I really won't be able to reach that standard by not learning them off.... I think if I have it learned off and it comes up, I will have more time to manipulate my answer around the question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Take Banquo away and the plot would basically be the same minus a few scenes.

Don't be a silly billy.

Banquo is a character who is morally ambigous and stirs alot of debate, he is essential to the play as he is the best of the characters tempted by the witches and yet he falls to their temptations. This is even though he previously said to MacBeth: And oftentimes to win us to our harm/the instruments of darkness tell us truths;/Win us with honest trifles, to betray us/ In deepest consequence. So he realises their evil but still is spellbound by their charm.
    His nadir is when he promises In the great hand of God I stand and thence/Against the undivulg'd pretence I fight/Of treasonous malice. and then admits: Thou hast it all now, King, Cawdor, Glamis, all,/As the weird women promis'd and I fear/Thou played'st most foully for't
    So Banquo falls, however he is spared by Shakespeare with death, and saving his son, Fleance, he redeems himself to some degree.

matTNT wrote: »
    Don't be a silly billy.

Banquo is a character who is morally ambigous and stirs alot of debate...

Morally ambigous? Oh, you must mean morally ambiguous. While I agree, I fail to see how removing him from the play would disrupt the plot of the story significantly. He is a fascinating character however, I won't deny that.

• Advertisement

Morally ambigous? Oh, you must mean morally ambiguous. While I agree, I fail to see how removing him from the play would disrupt the plot of the story significantly. He is a fascinating character however, I won't deny that.

Well what if we think of it in the context "What if Banquo didn't die?" Surely that changes things and shows his significance.

Advertisement