Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oblivion Stuttering (PC)

• 08-05-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭

I'll describe it the best way I can. When I go into the game, I get this horrible stutter and I know for a fact it isn't a frame-rate issue. Basically, the game freezes every single 1/2 second like clockwork. It doesn't slow down or speed up. It is a constant *skip-play-skip-play*. I have played with all graphics settings to the point of having it at the lowest setting with 800x600 resolution and it still does it without fail. I have drained energy for hours trying to figure out this problem and have found nothing.

I have tried the following methods to fix it;
    Reinstalling the game from scratch
    Deleting all personal data
    Installing the latest patch
    Installing the stutter-fix mod

None of these have worked or helped.

Fallout 3 does it only in the Main Menu
    and Morrowind is the only game that does it as bad as Oblivion
    Fallout NV is perfectly playable (Activated through Steam)

I'm stuck for solutions so would anyone be able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You must likely have done this but have you the latest drivers for your card?

Also lets see the specs of your computer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Yeah I installed the latest one yesterday. I thought that would work, but it never did, sadly.

Specs;

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 1.80GHz
    GPU: NVidia Geforce GTS 250 512MB
    RAM: 3GB DDR2

Hmmm

can you try this in the nvidea control panel and see does it make a difference

Of course you'll pick Oblivan
    d5c9KQs.png

change the sync to adaptive

Headshot wrote: »
    Hmmm

can you try this in the nvidea control panel and see does it make a difference

Of course you'll pick skyrim
    d5c9KQs.png

change the sync to adaptive

God I thought that may be the fix but I tried it there just now and it's still doing it. :( It's strange that this seems to be happening with Bethesda applications and no other game I own.

In the same window Nvidia control panel

7MopTdr.png

Turn Ambient Occlusion off

• Advertisement

Tried that earlier and still never worked. :(
    I've posted a video to explain it. I've threw it up on Bethesda's site aswell so hopefully I'll get a solution.

wow never seen stuttering like that before gamer

I would also ask the lads on this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

And you say you have no trouble playing any other game besides bethesda ones?

I just happen to find this thread

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525127

I looked at that last night actually but never got anywhere with it..... However, I have found the reason. It's my audio that's causing it. I disabled the audio service and ran Oblivion and it ran amazingly, no lag or anything. Smooth as f*ck.

So now I need to figure out how to fix this problem. I'm downloading an updated driver from Realtek's website and it's compatible with Windows 8 (which I have) so fingers crossed.

--
    UPDATE
    --

FIXED! Turns out that 2 codecs by ARCSOFT were causing it to happen. Downloading the codecs didn't work but I found a program that allowed me to disable individual audio codecs on my PC (MMView, it's called) and someone on another forum recommended I disable both Arcsoft codecs so I did and all my Bethesda PC Games work perfectly. I have never been so relieved in my life, a full 2 days I spent fixing this.

Delighted!

Im delighted for ya Gamer

That sound thing happened to me in cod4 a few years ago too but wasnt as bad as yours

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

gamercfc wrote: »
    I looked at that last night actually but never got anywhere with it..... However, I have found the reason. It's my audio that's causing it. I disabled the audio service and ran Oblivion and it ran amazingly, no lag or anything. Smooth as f*ck.

So now I need to figure out how to fix this problem. I'm downloading an updated driver from Realtek's website and it's compatible with Windows 8 (which I have) so fingers crossed.

--
    UPDATE
    --

FIXED! Turns out that 2 codecs by ARCSOFT were causing it to happen. Downloading the codecs didn't work but I found a program that allowed me to disable individual audio codecs on my PC (MMView, it's called) and someone on another forum recommended I disable both Arcsoft codecs so I did and all my Bethesda PC Games work perfectly. I have never been so relieved in my life, a full 2 days I spent fixing this.

Delighted!
    nice one :)
    Beth stuff is funny anout what codecs are installed
    I'd a problem a few years back with Morrowind wherever the background music changed the music would cause the program to minimise and then go batsh*t insane.turns out it was the kega fusion codec knocking it out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

gamercfc wrote: »

--
    UPDATE
    --

Delighted!

You have potential as a software developer. Not joking, tenacity like that is a major advantage as a programmer.

Edit: just realised how old this thread is. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SensualStarman

I realise this is an old thread, but it was pretty high up when I googled this issue to fix it myself so I'm posting to help future readers.

My new Windows 8.1 laptop was having the same problem with Oblivion, which I was able to fix by running it in compatibility mode. Microsoft has instructions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/get-apps-devices-working

Advertisement