Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prescribed poetry, what's everyone studying?

Options
  • 28-04-2013 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

So the controversial question every year... Will Plath come up??
    Just wondering how many/which poets is everyone learning off? How many poems?
    I think I'm just gonna do the 3 women as a woman always comes up.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Moved from study logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

I'm doing Mahon, Plath, Kinsella, Bishop and Rich. I'm learning three to four poems for each, and how they're all similar so I can compare them easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Mahon, Plath and Wordsworth (about 4 poems each)...could probably bull**** my way through Shakespeare reasonably well if it came down to it

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

I've done Plath, Shakespeare and a bit of Mahon, guess ill do wordsworth and bishop too but not looking forward to it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

jessiblah wrote: »
    I'm doing Mahon, Plath, Kinsella, Bishop and Rich. I'm learning three to four poems for each, and how they're all similar so I can compare them easily.

You'd be sorted with just Plath, Bishop and Rich though as one of them will definitely come up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'll be studying Shakespeare, Hopkins and probably Bishop well. I'd be able to attempt an answer on Mahon, maybe. I'm not learning poems off, just learning a few quotes I use in every answer for that poet and I should be sorted. The prescribed poetry is one of the parts of English that I actually like, if I'm able to answer the question :P

ray2012 wrote: »
    I'll be studying Shakespeare, Hopkins and probably Bishop well. I'd be able to attempt an answer on Mahon, maybe. I'm not learning poems off, just learning a few quotes I use in every answer for that poet and I should be sorted. The prescribed poetry is one of the parts of English that I actually like, if I'm able to answer the question :P

How do you know for sure that one of them is gonna come up? Very risky :P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Luize wrote: »
    How do you know for sure that one of them is gonna come up? Very risky :P

I have Plath done as well, but an answer on her wouldn't be as good as on other poets. Going into the exam I'll have an idea of 5 poets, 3 in good detail. Risky, but I'll still be covered if none of the 3 I want come up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

You'd be sorted with just Plath, Bishop and Rich though as one of them will definitely come up!

no no no no no :s i will never understand how every year people continue to think they can work around the system , 4 come up out of 8 ,it is nowhere near definite , please study 5 for your own sake

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    no no no no no :s i will never understand how every year people continue to think they can work around the system , 4 come up out of 8 ,it is nowhere near definite , please study 5 for your own sake

I know that but every single year as far as he exam papers go back, a woman has come up. And there's only 3 women on the course this year, therefor, one out of the three will come up.

• Advertisement

I know that but every single year as far as he exam papers go back, a woman has come up. And there's only 3 women on the course this year, therefor, one out of the three will come up.

Yea seems perfect..until they break the pattern and don't include a woman? its going to happen some year, they can do that you know. Another poet doesn't take that much longer anyway i just don't get why you would take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

The only poet I want to write on is Bishop :P Allergic to writing an essay on anyone else.

I'm gonna try and know 5 going in but knowing me I won't! I seem to love taking risks with these exams :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Yea seems perfect..until they break the pattern and don't include a woman? its going to happen some year, they can do that you know. Another poet doesn't take that much longer anyway i just don't get why you would take the risk.

They have to, it would cause too much controversy not to include a woman on the paper.

I'm studying Plath,Bishop,Mahon and Wordsworth. 5 poems for each.
    Have to say I quite enjoyed Plath and Bishops work and am well prepared for them, Mahon and Wordsworth not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Personally I am praying that Plath isn't going to come up, she is one if my favourite poets, but I can't write an essay in her to save my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Plath, rich, Wordsworth and Mahon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Plath, Bishop and Rich.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There is no such thing as "will definitely come up", and every year (and especially in recent years) we have the cohort who gambled and lost, and who weep and wail and gnash their teeth loudly and publicly.

The only way to be sure is to cover 5 poets in reasonable detail ... that way you are 100% certain that one will appear (and have a damn good chance of more than one / having a choice).

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    They have to, it would cause too much controversy not to include a woman on the paper.

Have to say I quite enjoyed Plath and Bishops work and am well prepared for them, Mahon and Wordsworth not so much.

What happens if Rich is the female poet that comes up and Mahon and Wordsworth don't show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

In fairness last year before the leaving cert exam everyone would have said there would be too much "controversy" if Plath nor Heaney came up......Look how that played out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Plath, Mahon and Bishop. I might do Shakespeare just to cover myself. Really counting on the first two though as I like them so it's easier to write on them :) .

• Advertisement

David1994 wrote: »
    In fairness last year before the leaving cert exam everyone would have said there would be too much "controversy" if Plath nor Heaney came up......Look how that played out :cool:

Yeah but it could be considered sexist if they didnt include a woman, wouldn't want to rattle those feminists ;)

As for Rich ,I wasn't really surprised she came up last year considering she died last year. It's unlikely she will come up this year since she's been up twice in the last four years already.Not ruling her out by any means because anything is possible.

What happens if Rich is the female poet that comes up and Mahon and Wordsworth don't show up?

I'd have to resort to Kinsella, he's my back up. I'm studying Plath,Bishop,Mahon and Wordsworth in greater detail though :)

As for Rich ,I wasn't really surprised she came up last year considering she died last year. It's unlikely she will come up this year since she's been up twice in the last four years already.Not ruling her out by any means because anything is possible.

Well actually she died in march a good while after the paper is set so they were actually just going to put her on anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Mahon, Kinsella and Bishop.. Only 2 Irish poets and Bishop just in case they say he is half Irish having spent time here.

Well actually she died in march a good while after the paper is set so they were actually just going to put her on anyway ;)

Ah sure they probably knew she was on her last limbs and threw her on (kidding) :P Going slightly off-topic Does anyone else's poetry book not have an andrienne rich poetry section or am I the only one?
    I was just about to look over her work and it has not been put in because they couldn't get permission.

Ah sure they probably knew she was on her last limbs and threw her on (kidding) :P Going slightly off-topic Does anyone else's poetry book not have an andrienne rich poetry section or am I the only one?
    I was just about to look over her work and it has not been put in because they couldn't get permission.

hahah that made me smile , thats strange? i have poetry now and she is in here but i'm not doing her , don't like her poetry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Going by last years exam everyone should really just learn 5! :pac: I know I won't do it myself but still :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

going to learn Plath , Hopkins & Mahon .. and then have a rough idea of Wordsworth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I heard BobbyPropane is never wrong with predictions.

Mahon,Plath (Difficult Question) and Hopkins. Bookmark this post. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Does BobbyPropane set the paper? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

After the whole Plath/Heaney fiasco last year I've learned my lesson, I'm doing 5 this year - Plath, Bishop, Mahon, Shakespeare and Hopkins :)

Advertisement