Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rosacea- Any advise?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm really aware the last few months how red my face is all the time, especially after washing and first think in the morning. I used to get quite easily flushed but it wasn't a big deal but the last few months my face seems to be getting redder and redder and its a frequent thing now. Today its been really red (my foundation didn't really cover it) and its actually burning. My skin has also been really dry to the point of flaking. I really cant cope with it anymore and I'm looking for any ideas for products I could use, what the best facewash etc is? I have also had acne since I was a teenager so I've always had problem skin. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Hi, I used to work in a pharmacy and we used to get a lot of customers have great success with La Roche Posay AR anti-redness skin perfecting moisturiser it's available in most chemists and is about €16 or so (can't remember exact price) sure its worth a try! :-) Try googling it for some reviews too ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭rachblue

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'll check it out!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

rosacea.org is a very helpful website

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Teknon

Hi...I too have Rosacea and at one stage it got very bad. I had little papules on my cheeks. I went to a GP who prescribed a steroid cream which was not the answer and did little to help. In the end I asked for a referral to a consultant, Dr Gillian Murphy who has a clinic in Beaumont. She took one look at me and prescribed an antibiotic, minocycline. It worked, my skin cleared up completely. She also prescribed Rozex cream which helps with the redness. The consultation wasn't cheap but worth every penny in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

+1 on rosex. I also use La Roche posay and find it great. The Toleriane face wash and Rosaliac moisturizer work great for me along with the Rosex. They have an intense serum too (think it might be in the rosaliac range too) but I don't need it as much now. I also use Dermalogicas daily microfoliant as a gentle exfoliators every couple of days - its not rosacea specific but it does no harm for me anyway.

I'm happy with my skin at the mo, it flared up a lot in winter so I made a big effort recently to help it. I don't know if the change in season had anything to do with the benefits I'm seeing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

I have Acne Rosacea and my GP prescribed me rozex as a topical antibiotic aswell as tetracycline.I have broken capillaries on my cheeks along with general redness.I flush often after exercise , changes in temp , and often for no apparent reason,this is the most embarrassing for me.I also have RAYNAUDS when both combined they are not a good look.I was referred to a dermatologist who wanted to prescribe me tetracycline also and suggested laser for the broken capillaries.I'm not keen on taking either of the antibiotics as who knows what they will do to your body long term?! That being said I would be interested to hear from any of you who have used these products,what were the results if any during and after use?

Now back to the laser , well my dermatologist recommended 6 to 8 sessions with one possibly needed each year there after.I'm quite interested in this approach as I can avoid taking the antibiotics but also quite anxious about the procedure given some horror stories of peoples reactions to it.I'm unsure yet what method will be used I understand IPL is the most effective.Have any of you out there had this treatment?how many sessions did you need?what was the down time after treatment?did you notice any negative effects from it months or years later?did old or new veins re emerge?did it help with general flushing?Finally and most importantly where did you have it done and what was the doctors name?

Lastly but not least I would skip all of the above if anyone knows or has treated there acne rosacea using the NATURAL approach?

Please reply I would be so grateful for any advice:-)I'm booked in for a consultation for laser in the coming weeks and I presume they will patch test me then, so should I go ahead with this or not?

Thank you all so much in advance :-):-)

I realise some of the above may have already been answered as I copied my new thread because I was getting no feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

stinkle wrote: »
    (snip)
    I'm happy with my skin at the mo, it flared up a lot in winter so I made a big effort recently to help it. I don't know if the change in season had anything to do with the benefits I'm seeing

I was just coming to look for advice on this. I've always had dry skin and redness. The dry skin is easily help with moisturiser but the redness remains. I'll have to try some of your suggestions and report back. How long before you got results?

nicowa wrote: »
    I was just coming to look for advice on this. I've always had dry skin and redness. The dry skin is easily help with moisturiser but the redness remains. I'll have to try some of your suggestions and report back. How long before you got results?
    I'd been using Rozex sporadically but ran out in January. Id also been using a different moisturiser so stopped that, got more rozex and began using it every day just with Rosaliac moisturiser for about a week or two before going back to the cleanser and microfoliant. It took a good two weeks before I felt comfortable doing that - I wanted to be sure that any changes were due to the antibiotic/cream rather than just chucking a load of new stuff at my face.

stinkle wrote: »
    I'd been using Rozex sporadically but ran out in January. Id also been using a different moisturiser so stopped that, got more rozex and began using it every day just with Rosaliac moisturiser for about a week or two before going back to the cleanser and microfoliant. It took a good two weeks before I felt comfortable doing that - I wanted to be sure that any changes were due to the antibiotic/cream rather than just chucking a load of new stuff at my face.

Should have said I've kept up using the antibiotic gel and moisturiser every day

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

I have Acne Rosacea and my GP prescribed me rozex as a topical antibiotic aswell as tetracycline.I have broken capillaries on my cheeks along with general redness.I flush often after exercise , changes in temp , and often for no apparent reason,this is the most embarrassing for me.I also have RAYNAUDS when both combined they are not a good look.I was referred to a dermatologist who wanted to prescribe me tetracycline also and suggested laser for the broken capillaries.I'm not keen on taking either of the antibiotics as who knows what they will do to your body long term?! That being said I would be interested to hear from any of you who have used these products,what were the results if any during and after use?

Now back to the laser , well my dermatologist recommended 6 to 8 sessions with one possibly needed each year there after.I'm quite interested in this approach as I can avoid taking the antibiotics but also quite anxious about the procedure given some horror stories of peoples reactions to it.I'm unsure yet what method will be used I understand IPL is the most effective.Have any of you out there had this treatment?how many sessions did you need?what was the down time after treatment?did you notice any negative effects from it months or years later?did old or new veins re emerge?did it help with general flushing?Finally and most importantly where did you have it done and what was the doctors name?

Lastly but not least I would skip all of the above if anyone knows or has treated there acne rosacea using the NATURAL approach?

Please reply I would be so grateful for any advice:-)I'm booked in for a consultation for laser in the coming weeks and I presume they will patch test me then, so should I go ahead with this or not?

Thank you all so much in advance :-):-)

I realise some of the above may have already been answered as I copied my new thread because I was getting no feedback

I don't know anything about the laser treatment but I have been on tetracycline for the past six years to control my rosacea and have had absolutely no side effects, in my forties now and suffered since my late teens with this condition, antibiotics were the only thing that worked for me.

• Advertisement

@cristeoir ,thanks for the info ....its great to hear from people who have the same condition and that the antibiotics do work. I wish there was an Irish support group or forum for rosacea where we could all share our experience and treatment this condition

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

@cristeoir ,thanks for the info ....its great to hear from people who have the same condition and that the antibiotics do work. I wish there was an Irish support group or forum for rosacea where we could all share our experience and treatment this condition

Yea that would be very helpful especially since there is no cure for rosacea only control. I would have spent hundreds of euro over the years on different creams and lotions with very short term results , it was only when I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed the antibiotics that my face finally cleared up , no more redness or that awful itching and burning rash . I hope you can get yours sorted soon cos it really can affect your self confidence .

cristeoir wrote: »
    Yea that would be very helpful especially since there is no cure for rosacea only control. I would have spent hundreds of euro over the years on different creams and lotions with very short term results , it was only when I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed the antibiotics that my face finally cleared up , no more redness or that awful itching and burning rash . I hope you can get yours sorted soon cos it really can affect your self confidence .
    I hope so cristeoir it really does effect my confidence. The only thing that covers it up is heavy pan stick make up and I recently stopped wearing make up altogether so you can imagine the impact. Wearing make up though did not make me feel any better as I was only hiding my condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

https://m.facebook.com/sharer.php?sid=281601422019222

Just came across this article for Rossoseq clinically proven treatment for roscrea --anybody tried it?

quinevere wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/sharer.php?sid=281601422019222

Just came across this article for Rossoseq clinically proven treatment for roscrea --anybody tried it?
    On it nearly 3 weeks and its OK. Redness has decreased but I've had flare ups. Gonna stick with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kelfy

I used to be a receptionist in a dermatology clinic and the Dr always stressed the importance of a good sun cream to people with rosacea! She said you really need to protect the skin from getting further damage. As well as that just sticking to a good regime and in some cases antibiotics. She also did IPL to reduce redness in rosacea sufferers but it doesn't suit everyone so I would say go to a Dr rather than a laser clinic for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I posted about my brother's experience with laser treatment for Rosacea before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89928469

It was the only thing that he found worked for him, but everyone's skin is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

What's worked for me so far; double cleansing every night so either balm and milk cleanser, oil and balm or oil and milk cleanser. Occasional exfoliating and mud mask treatments. Morning time I cleanse, put on toner, serum, moisturiser and SPF.

I've cut out carbs and drastically cut back on sugar. I only have a glass or two of red wine at the weekend. Red wine is a definite aggressor for me. I started taking omega 3, zinc, vit d and magnesium supplements.

I'm going to start using a hydralauric acid (spelling?) and a gycolic exfoliator in the next week or so. Just waiting on them to arrive by post.

My skin is pretty much clear now so it's a remarkable improvement on the almost raw chin and acne like cheeks that I had in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aengoose

Hi RachBlue,
    I'm doing the PR for a new drug-free treatment for Rosacea called Sequaderma. It's clinically proven and I've seen its excellent results first hand. IF you're interested drop me a message.
    Regards,
    Aengus O'Hanlon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Hi guys, sorry to bump and old thread but it's similar to what I was going to post. I have Rosasea, or so my doctor tells me. Been to three doctors and none were quite sure what it was. Red spots in about five places thoughout my face, particularly bad where my nose connects with my face. Have used rozex and more recently skinoren. Neither seem to work terribly well and and I have just about used them up. Can't really afford to keep going to doctor. Stress seems to make it worse and nearly all face wash set it off. Any help appreciated

• Advertisement

Hey, I've been prescribed Rozex/Metrogel for so long and they havent really cleared it up. My skin has improved a bit recently though, I attributed it to using Rosaliac moisturiser from La Roche Posay, but it's run out and hard to get where I live, and skin is still doing well. I have stomach issues and have been drinking diluted apple cider vinegar twice a day to help with stomach acid and I've been reaping benefits there - and apparently some stomach and rosacea issues are linked so that might be worth a try.

I've no idea what has helped for me as I started the drink and moisturiser around the same time, but since running out of Rosaliac Ive been on a sun holiday and change of jobs without any flare ups - on holiday I used a few different sunscreens and could tolerate them, plus was in the water loads so wasnt hiding in the shade or anything and was grand. I did notice today that a different face wash has given me a bit of redness though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Hi all, found this thread so said I wouldn't start a new one on it. I've recently been diagnosed with acne rosacea after 6 months of throwing good money after bad trying to find the perfect cream to solve it. Im on the rozex gel but my doctor didn't put me on tablets yet as she wants to see how my skin will react with the cream first.

To be honest I am incredibly fed up with how this condition affects my appearance. It's very difficult to cover up with make up even as on my face currently it goes scaly and starts coming away from my face after being applied. Has anyone any suggestions on a decent foundation that works well for this condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I get rosacea really bad too, what really helps me is porridge oats, I boil the kettle and fill the bathroom sink with it, throw in about a cup of uncooked oats into the hot water, let it sit for about 3 or 4 minutes, while im waiting I cleanse with e/v coconut oil to remove dirt and makeup. Then put in some cold water in with the oats, just to cool it so it wont burn my skin. then I scrub my face with the oats and milky water, rubbing the oats into extra dry areas and rosacea flare ups. I do this for a good few minutes then rinse with the milky water that comes from the oats, it feels very soft and gentle. Its a little messy but you can let the oats drain down the sink, they wont block it, ive never had a problem. After wards I rinse again with cold water, pat dry my face then rub on some extra virgin coconut oil and then some palmers cocoa butter moisturizer.

Leaves my skin very calm, smooth and bright.

If I use allot of chemicals on my skin my rosacea gets really bad and ive discovered that the more natural the product the better my skin looks. I think rosacea might just be severe sensitivity to anything harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

blazermel wrote: »
    Hi all, found this thread so said I wouldn't start a new one on it. I've recently been diagnosed with acne rosacea after 6 months of throwing good money after bad trying to find the perfect cream to solve it. Im on the rozex gel but my doctor didn't put me on tablets yet as she wants to see how my skin will react with the cream first.

To be honest I am incredibly fed up with how this condition affects my appearance. It's very difficult to cover up with make up even as on my face currently it goes scaly and starts coming away from my face after being applied. Has anyone any suggestions on a decent foundation that works well for this condition?

Have you tried estee lauder double wear? you could ask for a sample, its what I use and I find it great. Stay away from MAC foundations, theyre not suited for dry skin.

Nars concealers are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sineadgorman94

Hi , I haven't got experience with rosacea myself but I do with acne & dermatitis which can be equally hard to cover without flakes. The only one I find doesn't make the problem worse is Loreal true match , only thing is it's only a medium coverage ! I know you specifically asked for advice on foundation but I would highly highly recommend seeking help from an well rounded aesthetician/nutritionist before taking antibiotics etc. It's just not a GPs expertise. I went down the route for years and ended up with worse skin.there are also natural supplements out there now which will work better than any cream in the long run 🙂 from my experience anyway. Good luck xx

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

the new urban decay all nighter foundation is really good and full coverage, I got it at the weekend and have it on today normally by this time in work the redness on my cheeks has started to show but it still holding :)

Thanks all for the replies. Airyfairy12 I will definitely try the estee lauder one and see how I get on. Emzibob I currently use Urban Decay foundation and I still find it separates quite easily to expose the Rosacea so I'm not sure if it works well on my skin :( .. As for the nutrionist/aesthetic route I'm not sure I fully buy in to herbal remedies etc but if someone has found one that helps rosacea let me know as I'm desperate at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sineadgorman

There is some phoneys down the natural route I'll admit! I just started a supplement called accumax it's supposed to help both acne & rosacea. The reviews and before and after pics look very good . It's only early days but would be happy to let you know how I get on if your interested 🙂

There is some phoneys down the natural route I'll admit! I just started a supplement called accumax it's supposed to help both acne & rosacea. The reviews and before and after pics look very good . It's only early days but would be happy to let you know how I get on if your interested 🙂
    That would be great I'd like to find something natural that worked for someone with the condition :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I suffer from acne rosacea and have for the past year. It was triggered by a food allergy. I found a place local to me that gave me a free skin consultation and a few free samples of products and have booked in for an IPL with them in two weeks. Products have been working a dream for me, if anyone wants to PM me do!

Advertisement