Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English OL Question

Options
  • 05-06-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

How many poems/poets do you have to do at minimum? There is about 15 poems on the ordinary course. Do you have to do 14?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

How many poems/poets do you have to do at minimum? There is about 15 poems on the ordinary course. Do you have to do 14?

Do you mean the poems only prescribed for ordinary level? I'm assuming your teacher left out all the higher level poems. In which case, there are 16 poems - 2 of which will be on the paper tomorrow. This means that, yes, you should look over 15 to be guaranteed having revised at least 1 that will appear tomorrow. Remember - the poems will be printed on the page, but you're still expected to know them quite well. The questions will assume a certain level of prior engagement with the poem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 IsKelleh

What are all 16 of the poems?

IsKelleh wrote: »
    What are all 16 of the poems?

What poetry book do you have? It should be the 16 that go from John Milton to David Wheatley.

I have the Poetry Now Book but Neither of those two are in it, but I could look up the poems

I have the Poetry Now Book but Neither of those two are in it, but I could look up the poems

Yes, they are. Go to the contents page - after 'Part 1' there's a list of 16 poems. It goes from 'For Heidi...' to 'A Summer Morning.' It's those 16, but your teacher may have done the other list - Part II. There will be four poems on the exam - two from each 'Part'.

• Advertisement

Awh Damn, I have the Higher level book.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Good man. Preparation is everything!

;)

Could you be able to give me the titles of those poems and i'll look them up for the night?

Hahahaha I'm a mess

Have you just dropped from Higher? Do the Higher Level poems so. There are 20 of them prescribed for Ordinary Level. Check out pages 9 and 10 of this:

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0004_2011.pdf

The 20 on the list from Sheakespeare, Wordsworth, Hopkins, Bishop, Kinsella, Rich, Plath and Mahom are the ones you need to focus on. Two of them will appear tomorrow. You answer on one.

• Advertisement

Could you be able to give me the titles of those poems and i'll look them up for the night?
    http://bit.ly/181XArd

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

Hahahaha I'm a mess

I just dropped from higher level and I'm pretty much in the same boat. Does anybody know how much we're expected to write for the comparative and the single text ?

I just dropped from higher level and I'm pretty much in the same boat. Does anybody know how much we're expected to write for the comparative and the single text ?

Comparative: c.800 words.

Single Text (writing size dependent):

10 marks = half - three quarter of a page
    30 marks = one - one and half pages

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

well this is refering to the mocks marking scheme so im not sure if its right:

single text: q1 -1pg q2 - 1/2 pg q3 - 1pg

comparative: (a) - 1pg (b) - 1 and 1/2 pgs

also does anyone here just need to pass.

Should y'all not be studying?

I just need to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

Thanks, yeah I just need to pass.

Advertisement