Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What OS

• 22-06-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

For those of you working in infosec, I'm curious to know what operating system you use for your job? Do certain tasks require a specific OS or does your employer provide and insist on a specific OS? I'm just interested to know what the norms are in the industry.. Kali Linux seems like an obvious choice, but how many use this in practice?

P.S. Please don't start a war over which OS is better or attack anyone for their choice. Be cool! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Our place is a Windows house, so I've 2 Win 7 laptops, both of which have Kali & Cuckoo VM's for analysing any dodgy stuff. I also have a third Kali laptop dedicated to red team stuff and another instance of Kali sitting up in AWS so I can test tunnelling stuff out.

Along with that, a few other VMs sitting around for playing with things like Server stuff or Win 10.

Realistically I use Kali out of the sheer laziness of not wanting to have to install so many tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Windows house too, so very standard build from work of Windows used for most day to day work, machines are fairly open so we do add a bit of our own commonly used stuff.

We have loads of workstations and various laptops of different capacities then running variety of OS's for different tasks, different machines for pen testing/forensics for example, aswell as other resources like an ESXI server should we want it

Home laptop is a MAC, ideal work laptop would be a MacBook with plenty of RAM/power for spinning up VM's in it and then secondary laptops for specific testing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Work laptop is a MacBook Pro. I prefer pen testing from Linux and when possible prefer to use Fedora or CentOS for this so I have a VM with fedora on it.

<Controversial Opinion>

I dont like Kali. I dont think its QA'ed to as high a standard as other distros. If Im having problems with a tool, I prefer to use an established high quality Distro I can rely on, instead of wondering if the problems Im having are the tool or the OS.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd agree with your controversial opinion, however I found installing some pentesting apps in ubuntu to be a pain in the face (where normally ubuntu installation is a dream).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Khannie wrote: »
    I'd agree with your controversial opinion, however I found installing some pentesting apps in ubuntu to be a pain in the face (where normally ubuntu installation is a dream).

Sure thats all part of the fun. Cryptic error messages, and undocumented required libraries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement