Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

mariebeth wrote: »
    The Pottermore website is addictive! Finally got sorted in to Hufflepuff. Meh...as long as it wasn't Slytherin! I like the way it's sorted, it's hard to swing it so that you can get in to the house that you want to be in!

Now I must forget the website exists for the next few weeks while I try to study!!!

I am still waiting for my confirmation email, it better hurry up already :D

Daughter is gone back to school today... Yippeeee ......I can enjoy a cup of tea in peace :)

I've that phone interview for somewhere in 30 minutes and I'm ****ting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

McChubbin wrote: »
    I openly admit to being a foodie. I love food. I love making food.

I adore food, the richer, creamier, chocolatey-er, sweeter, BIGGER, the better. This is why I don't bake much for myself, because I will eat it! I have no willpower, so instead of like a normal person trying new cake, cookie, dessert recipes, etc as an enjoyable hobby I can't do it, because I will eat all of it, and don't have anyone nearby to give them away to. Food is my hobby, going for a 3 course meal in a fab restaurant is my biggest treat in life.
    Kiera wrote: »
    You seem to be obsessed with food and weight.

Some people are, some people aren't bothered by food and see it as fuel and find it easy to control their intake. My boyfriend's sister was apparently fascinated the day I told her I'm obsessed with food, every day I have a mental battle not to scoff pancakes for breakfast, croissants at 11, fry for lunch, cake in afternoon, 3 course meal in local hotel for dinner, chocolate with tea after, and on and on and on. She thought because I'm a healthy enough weight (size 12/14 but could do with losing about a stone really) that I had no problems "pushing back from the table" as my grandfather says.

I tell myself to eat the porridge, eat the sandwich, eat the veg and fish for dinner, have a Rich Tea but no chocolate, because I know that it's healthier and it's what food is meant for, fuel, but it isn't always fun! I openly admit I have no control other than knowing what I'm meant to eat and making myself do it, my entire family are like this. We all would happily eat ourselves to death on desserts and big dinners, 4 generations at least have been like this, we love food! But we make ourselves eat in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Curry for lunch again. Getting a bit curried out. Won't be glancing at a chilli for a long time after I'm home!

Heh, I always forget you're in a different country and every time you post about your lunch I always think "why the feck is she having lunch at 10am??" :p

I got into Pottermore when it was in Beta, got sorted into Ravenclaw which I'm happy with. The site was offline for aaaaages though so I've barely spent any time on it.

I've that phone interview for somewhere in 30 minutes and I'm ****ting it.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Acoshla wrote: »
    I openly admit to being a foodie. I love food. I love making food.

I adore food, the richer, creamier, chocolatey-er, sweeter, BIGGER, the better. This is why I don't bake much for myself, because I will eat it! I have no willpower, so instead of like a normal person trying new cake, cookie, dessert recipes, etc as an enjoyable hobby I can't do it, because I will eat all of it, and don't have anyone nearby to give them away to. Food is my hobby, going for a 3 course meal in a fab restaurant is my biggest treat in life.

Some people are, some people aren't bothered by food and see it as fuel and find it easy to control their intake. My boyfriend's sister was apparently fascinated the day I told her I'm obsessed with food, every day I have a mental battle not to scoff pancakes for breakfast, croissants at 11, fry for lunch, cake in afternoon, 3 course meal in local hotel for dinner, chocolate with tea after, and on and on and on. She thought because I'm a healthy enough weight (size 12/14 but could do with losing about a stone really) that I had no problems "pushing back from the table" as my grandfather says.

I tell myself to eat the porridge, eat the sandwich, eat the veg and fish for dinner, have a Rich Tea but no chocolate, because I know that it's healthier and it's what food is meant for, fuel, but it isn't always fun! I openly admit I have no control other than knowing what I'm meant to eat and making myself do it, my entire family are like this. We all would happily eat ourselves to death on desserts and big dinners, 4 generations at least have been like this, we love food! But we make ourselves eat in moderation.
    Yes but you don't comment on what people eat in here. Nore is every post you make about how to eat healthy. It all seems very pushy to me. Maybe I'm reading Orlas posts wrong tho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Curry for lunch again. Getting a bit curried out. Won't be glancing at a chilli for a long time after I'm home!
    I visited India for work a couple of years ago, my God, the curry in the work canteen was the bomb! I can see how you would get fed up of it if it was all you ate for months, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I openly admit to being a foodie. I love food. I love making food. I love eatting food but these days, I barely taste it anymore. I just shovel it in mindlessly like a filthy animal.
    Enough's enough.
    If I have to rob a bank to pay for gym membership, I'll do it.

I know you're only joking but please dont speak about yourself in these terms. It is likely that you would never speak about somebody else in the same way. If you are an emotional eater, try giving yourself credit for making even very small changes, and focusing on being kind to yourself and spending time on self care. Instead of thinking about losing weight in terms of depriving yourself, try thinking about enhancing your life by adding in lovely new things.

When you focus clearly on looking after yourself the urge to over eat goes away. It takes time but this does work. I am still working on my weight but I have not binged in years.

When focusing on your nutrition, only eat food that you really enjoy. One of the many mistakes I used to make when trying to lose weight was eating food that tasted like crap. Low fat foods are utter bollocks.

If everyday you have 3 lovely meals and 3 lovely snacks to look forward to, as well as a walk or a yoga class or a dance class, as well as a little treat like giving yourself a manicure, or watching a favourite film, the whole thing becomes easier to manage.

Please begin by loving yourself. There is one person you are stuck with in this life and it's you. You might as well be nice to yourself. :)

Yes but you don't comment on what people eat in here. Nore is every post you make about how to eat healthy. It all seems very pushy to me. Maybe I'm reading Orlas posts wrong tho....

I think Orla was trying to be helpful to those people, she appears to have some knowledge of diet and stuff so I thought she was trying to give a bit of info, same way krudler advises on phone/IT issues, me on cakes, etc etc...

I think Orla was trying to be helpful to those people, she appears to have some knowledge of diet and stuff so I thought she was trying to give a bit of info, same way krudler advises on phone/IT issues, me on cakes, etc etc...
    You're probably right. I guess her comment to sar bear the other day annoyed me.

• Advertisement

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it!

Thank you.

I really don't know what's got me so nervous - I mean I know how amazing I am! Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I think it's up to McChubbin to decide if Orla was being pushy or not. Personally from reading her posts, I think she was just being helpful and trying to pass on some of the knowledge she has. None of what she wrote came across as pushy to me.

mariebeth wrote: »

I think it's up to McChubbin to decide if Orla was being pushy or not. Personally from reading her posts, I think she was just being helpful and trying to pass on some of the knowledge she has. None of what she wrote came across as pushy to me.
    I wasn't replying to a picticular post, it was just an observation.

You're probably right. I guess her comment to sar bear the other day annoyed me.

I'm quite a blunt honest person so I kinda liked her post the last day, it was like something I'd say myself to a friend :p:o So maybe I'm not the best one to judge! :)

I'm quite a blunt honest person so I kinda liked her post the last day, it was like something I'd say myself to a friend :p:o So maybe I'm not the best one to judge! :)
    Sure you know how blunt I am too :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Please begin by loving yourself. There is one person you are stuck with in this life and it's you. You might as well be nice to yourself. :)

+ a million

It's hard to start thinking like that, but it gets easier the more you do it. Talk to yourself like you would a best friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I also thought Orla was just being helpful; plus her advice is always on the money.

Wohoo got my email from Pottermore ......

May I introduce SnitchMahogany27670 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Wow I should have gotten on boards a few hours ago!
    First I should say that those times coming back from the gym, I was starving and would have eaten anything and the smell of any food made my mouth water. It's a bit easier when you workout but you do still need that bit in you that says 'no, Id rather be healthy'
    Also yes I love food, I used to use that same excuse too but I've found I'm cooking far more interesting things to cook with now and I'm loving finding out the benefits and negatives of different foods too, so my love/obsession of food is expanding!
    Not so much interested in weight, I normally tend to tell people to throw out there weight scales(people scales not kitchen)

The first comment about the cake was more food for thought(sorry mentioned food again:P) rather than commenting on what people eat. It was more in reference to the Framinham study where if people you know eat a bad diet then your more likely to do the same, I've a feeling I might have offended some people that wished to lose weight but were making/eating cakes, that wasn't my intention.

Not all my posts are about eating healthy, I talk about my cats when they do something interesting/funny(don't want to seem like crazy cat lady either!) but health and food is something I'm interested in so why not say something about that? I don't mean to be pushy and when people post up whatever they ate/made and I think it's very unhealthy I might just sigh a little and move on to the next post but when someone posts about wanting to lose weight well then I'll probably say something, give them websites they they might find useful, say a few things they might be doing that will hinder their progress or just point them in a decent direction.

Just wondering but in what way did it annoy you? I know I was a bit blunt but I thought it better to be that than dance around it and only hint at it.

I just want to add that, this is a nice thread and I was actually surprised that a fair few people in TLL are unhappy with their bodies (some very much so!) and my heart go's out to them and I'd like them to feel great about themselves and know that you can do something to change the situation, it is difficult but it's worth it. (and you don't have to eat boring food)

My husband just emailed me this from his twitter feed. He knows me so well.
    Tweet from Johnny Candon(@johnnycandon)
    #irisheroticfiction Dearbhla gasped as Tony dropped his jocks and showed her his big hairy mickey. "Horse it into me!!!!" she whispered.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Someone motivate me please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

GO RACOONQUEEN! YOU CAN DO IT! WHOOOOOOOOO! GWAN THE RACOON, YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAW! :pac:

You'll be so glad you did it when it's done! C'mon!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

And me too! Have exams starting in two weeks and I'm not one bit motivated!

Just do 40 minutes then take a break.

It'll get you started at least

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i did an hour and a half

also i'm hungry :rolleyes:
    exam first thing wed morning
    think i might be getting there
    i hope :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

bluewolf wrote: »
    i did an hour and a half

also i'm hungry :rolleyes:
    exam first thing wed morning
    think i might be getting there
    i hope :rolleyes:

Sure if you are moving in the right direction, you are getting there!

Good luck in the exam, you always sound so dedicated you deserve to do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Official study starts today....:(

Law hurts my brain!

Also, say hello to StarCauldron18669 :D

EmilyO wrote: »
    Official study starts today....:(

Law hurts my brain!

Also, say hello to StarCauldron18669 :D

Waves hello :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My husband just emailed me this from his twitter feed. He knows me so well.

:pac:

Ride me sideways was another one.... :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement