Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbus to launch A321neoLR to replace 757

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Bsal wrote: »
    100nm more range than the current 757-200W and with 164 passengers, 20 lie flat seats....'Overall, the LR will be about 25% less costly to operate'

http://leehamnews.com/2014/10/21/exclusive-airbus-launches-a321neolr-long-range-to-replace-757-200w/

Great news, and long overdue, but I'm not sure I agree with your title, unless it's wishful thinking on airbus's part ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Now how long are EI going to delay in ordering some of these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

i still dont get why Boeing wont develop a 757 replacement.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Razor44 wrote: »
    i still dont get why Boeing wont develop a 757 replacement.

Because its too small a market to build a single aircraft for - the bulk of the 757 market is covered by the 737-900ER.

Airbus can cover it by doing relatively minor (in comparison to a new aircraft) modifications to the 321neo. The 737MAX is, as the name suggests, at its maximum capabilities so they can't provide a similar size/range combination from it - its either the capacity (900/9MAX) or the range (7MAX, ish)

The 737 replacement in 15 years will almost certainly cover the sector but as part rather than all of its target market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Good newss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

owenc wrote: »
    Good newss

I thought you didn't like transatlantic narrowbodies?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Locker10a wrote: »
    Now how long are EI going to delay in ordering some of these ?
    I would expect them to be very eager to get their hands on 4-5 of these. It looks like they are liking the B757 ops, and that lease deal with ACL was for 3 years initially.

From the Leeham article: The A321neoLR will have about 27% lower trip costs and 24% lower per seat costs than the 757.......Overall, the LR will be about 25% less costly to operate.........Entry into service is slated for the second half of 2018, about two years after the standard A321neo.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Tenger wrote: »
    I would expect them to be very eager to get their hands on 4-5 of these. It looks like they are liking the B757 ops, and that lease is for 3 years initially.

Given that EI have been pushing for the 321neo for a number of years, I'd be surprised if they're not in early with orders.
    The 757 will run until 2020, so all going well it should give airbus time to get the Neo rolled out and phased into the fleet.

MYOB wrote: »

It means my belfast flight can stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Maybe we'll get a T/A out of Cork.:)

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »

Ah here, no need for flights of fancy...... :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

At the rate the airport is going any new route is a bonus, never mind t/a but at least this machine does tick the necessary boxes.

MYOB wrote: »

Only if United have them 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Very long over-due, once EI have sorted out the pension issue before the close of 2014, the shareholders would be very likely to back an order plan for the 321LR - Until such a time the pension issue has been resolved, shareholders have made it clear, they will not be placing any additional funds to new a/c orders. Hence the lack of comment regarding short-haul fleet renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭basill

I am loving the optimism, however, I think AL will balk at the cost and limp along with the current setup no matter what they announce in terms of orders. No different to the current 330neo/350 saga.

So long as they can get cheap old reliable airframes and the loads/yields hold up then why spend a fortune on leasing new aircraft. As an earlier poster said their hand is only ever forced to change by a competitor and then its a race to catch up. The strategy is never to be a market leader nor innovator. The ASL model is no different to Stobart in that it enables them to access cheap labour on much lower salaries. It would take a "lot" of fuel savings in order to offset the much much higher lease costs.

But then again maybe a new CEO will bring something to the table and force change......We can live in hope I suppose.

Ah here, no need for flights of fancy...... :p:p
    Ah lads, don't be like that, all I want is a weekly service to JFK, especially the week I start my hols.:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Very long over-due, once EI have sorted out the pension issue before the close of 2014, the shareholders would be very likely to back an order plan for the 321LR - Until such a time the pension issue has been resolved, shareholders have made it clear, they will not be placing any additional funds to new a/c orders. Hence the lack of comment regarding short-haul fleet renewal.

Hope the pensions get sorted smoothly and they can order some new planes and move on! I wonder what are the chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

Ah lads, don't be like that, all I want is a weekly service to JFK, especially the week I start my hols.:D:D

Don't hold your breath and the road is called the M8. It's much better than the N20 and we can't be seen to be supporting an airport which is swipping routes from Cork.

Problem is Shannon is probably undercutting Corks prices to attract more traffic. Cork will need to offer better incentives to attract more routes. It really shouldn't be losing passengers when numbers are increasing on the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

This A321NEO LR sounds brilliant. I'm not sure it will sell in massive volumes though.

• Advertisement

Problem is Shannon is probably undercutting Corks prices to attract more traffic. Cork will need to offer better incentives to attract more routes. It really shouldn't be losing passengers when numbers are increasing on the Island.
    There are two sides to that however, (A) will SNN be able to maintain the low prices, it's all right saying that they are getting the business but are they amking money? (B) the DAA are probably quite happy with the M8, the ammount of people going to Dublin from the Cork area because they have the choice is unbelievable. Cork people are not that loyal when it's comes to the airport I'm afraid.:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

man98 wrote: »
    This A321NEO LR sounds brilliant. I'm not sure it will sell in massive volumes though.

if it's 25% cheaper to operate than a 757, that's going to make it attractive, and don't underestimate the number of 757's that are operating on long haul routes.

If the airlines have an alternative, the freight carriers will snap up any 757's that are offered, as they are a very popular freight carrier.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

man98 wrote: »

Well it doesn't really need 'massive numbers' Airbus alrady have massie numbers of A320neo and A321neo orders on the table. This is merely a modified A321neo.
    If 100-200 of them sell then I would guess that Airbus will be happy. I expect it will be built on the A321 line so its not as if they have to invest hugely to build it. There are quite a few long narrow routes currently served by the B757-200 that do not have a direct replacement. (Just look at all the B757 routes ex Ireland and UK to the USA)
    Look at the A340.....if I rocked up to Toulouse tomorrow with the cash they would build me one, as it built on the A330 assembly line.

Why are they even making the neo if this is being made?

Airbus A321neoLR...

Yes its the same aircraft with a longer range..

This is a specialized longer range version of the A321neo. Most airlines will not require the range of this A321neo LR version. And the A321 itself is merely the stretch version of the A320.

And if it offer 25% cost saving over the B757-200 then any airline currently using that aircrat for its range will gladly jump ship to Airbus in a few years rather than settling for the B737MAX-9

Yes its the same aircraft with a longer range..

Because most airlines don't need the range and many more of them are going to want to put far more passengers in than this specific model is designed for - the 321neo standard range will be certified for 240.

This is a specialized longer range version of the A321neo. Most airlines will not require the range of this A321neo LR version. And the A321 itself is merely the stretch version of the A320.

And if it offer 25% cost saving over the B757-200 then any airline currently using that aircrat for its range will gladly jump ship to Airbus in a few years rather than settling for the B737MAX-9

Oh so it is a niche market then. Very good, I don't like Airbus but I support it as it means that we will keep our Belfast route and all other small routes.

• Advertisement

Oh so it is a niche market then.

Niche in terms of a replacement product, not in terms of market size - This could be a huge money winner for Airbus if the US majors jump to replace, let's face it ageing International fleets (primarily as a result of being the largest 757 operators).

Advertisement