Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wheelchair accessible family car?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

So our little man is nearly 3 and up to now we have been lifting him in and out of a car seat in our standard car obviously this can't continue we need to start thinking about a wheelchair accessible car that suits him and our 2 other children. He enjoys the car at the moment loves having his sisters hold hands with him etc and for that reason we want something that will allow him to be ideally in between his two sisters seats or at least beside one of them and not way down the back on his own. Any advice welcome suggestions on vehicle or where to purchase appreciated. He has been approved for the primary care cert but I think financially we are still going to be limited to second hand. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

poolboy wrote: »
    So our little man is nearly 3 and up to now we have been lifting him in and out of a car seat in our standard car obviously this can't continue we need to start thinking about a wheelchair accessible car that suits him and our 2 other children. He enjoys the car at the moment loves having his sisters hold hands with him etc and for that reason we want something that will allow him to be ideally in between his two sisters seats or at least beside one of them and not way down the back on his own. Any advice welcome suggestions on vehicle or where to purchase appreciated. He has been approved for the primary care cert but I think financially we are still going to be limited to second hand. Thanks

Have you contacted any approved adaptation firms in your area?
    Quite often they will have preferences of their own, so a visit or chat with more than one would be advantageous.

How mobile the child is might determine a lot .... can he transfer easily from w/chair ?

Being stuck in the back of a van-like vehicle can be very isolating, but it would require a larger vehicle to accommodate a w/chair between other seats (and greater costs).

Everyone has their own needs so you really want to get something suitable for your use, budget and most of all the child's requirements.

So try get advice from adaptation firms would be my first stop .... good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I dunno if you are considering a Fiat Doblo, but I have a normal passenger Doblo - 1.3 diesel - and it is both a nice car to drive and also very bright and airy inside and has large windows giving a good view out. I think that the wheelchair adapted version leaves a side seat in place. If you don't want a ramp, the Doblo has great boot space and very wide sliding passenger doors on both sides. I am not disabled so I'm not really qualified to comment, but that is my impression of the car. Hope it helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have a Kia Carnival that allows me to keep a seat next to the wheelchair, you can also take out the seats in front if you what him up closer but I just fold them down when they are not being used, if you take out the centre seat you have a gap of 20" so depending on your chair or buggy it might fit or you can take out another side seat and have a straight run up. As your son is so young you could also get away with telescopic ramps over hydraulic my son is 12 and I still push him up no problem.
    If your around North county Dublin your welcome to have a look and see what you think, she is a big car and you may not be after a 7 seater but I'm very happy with it :)

DSC00863.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

There are 5 seaters with the same option.

Advertisement