Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protein Query

• 26-11-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

Apparently there are a few key times as to when to have a Protein shake - after workout, when you wake up, pre workout and before you sleep are the most common instances I've heard.

If I am training early in the morning (before work), does it make sense to have a shake immediately after I wake in the morning, and then straight after my workout in the morning? Or is that too much in a very short space of time?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It depends. How often do you train? How long for and how intensely?

If you're like 95%+ of people in gyms then it really won't matter to you when you take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

Apparently there are a few key times as to when to have a Protein shake - after workout, when you wake up, pre workout and before you sleep are the most common instances I've heard.

If I am training early in the morning (before work), does it make sense to have a shake immediately after I wake in the morning, and then straight after my workout in the morning? Or is that too much in a very short space of time?

Cheers in advance!

I agree with Alf but if it is no hassle you should take one before and one after if it fits into your daily intake, which it should easily. The method you're talking about is the method I use, empty stomach bar the protein shake before, then another shake after to keep me ticking over until dinner. There are minuscule added benefits pre and post workout nutrition, but if it is costing you nothing in time/convenience/money etc then why wouldn't you?

Advertisement