Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jailbreak Sky hd box

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

watty wrote: »
    Buy a Freesat HD PVR.

Once off purchase.
    Works well.
    No messing.

What's the cheapest you can them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

AstralTV wrote: »

Are there models that can do freesat HD and saorview and be a pvr?

Are there models that can do freesat HD and saorview and be a pvr?

no. there are no 'freesat' branded combi boxes,

nor are there any 'saorview' approved combi boxes.

however there is a range of 'free to air satellite' & DTT combi boxes witch are pretty useless as a PVR as the free to air satellite side of the box does not have an EPG making series link etc impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

This seems like it only accepts orders from the UK? Anyone advise where else to get one, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

amazon, richersounds,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

no. there are no 'freesat' branded combi boxes,

nor are there any 'saorview' approved combi boxes.

however there is a range of 'free to air satellite' & DTT combi boxes witch are pretty useless as a PVR as the free to air satellite side of the box does not have an EPG making series link etc impossible.

My vu+duo does the job with no bother at all.

gambiaman wrote: »
    My vu+duo does the job with no bother at all.

vu+duo is not a combo box nor is it 'freesat' branded,
    its a twin tuner linux based satellite receiver, that requires a usb dvb-t dongle (not 'saorview' approved) to receive DTT,

An internal SATA HD has to be fited to record, and the EPG requires extra software and an internet connection, 'no bother at all'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yes vu+ duo all the way here. Simply pop dtt usb tuner in the back and plug aerial in. Also 2 sat tuners so can watch one freesat and record another and dtt at same time. Hdd is plug and play. Either simply external usb or SATA internal which has a dock designed inside for it to make it foolproof ;) epg requires neither extra software or internet connection as uses a sat channel to recieve all freesat and sky 7 day guide and recieves saorview 7 day listings over-the-air via eit.
    Not official box for saorview in title only as there is no official combi unit that combines twin tuners freesat and dtt in one box. (officially :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

irishchris wrote: »
    Yes vu+ duo all the way here. Simply pop dtt usb tuner in the back and plug aerial in. Also 2 sat tuners so can watch one freesat and record another and dtt at same time. Hdd is plug and play. Either simply external usb or SATA internal which has a dock designed inside for it to make it foolproof ;) epg requires neither extra software or internet connection as uses a sat channel to recieve all freesat and sky 7 day guide and recieves saorview 7 day listings over-the-air via eit.
    Not official box for saorview in title only as there is no official combi unit that combines twin tuners freesat and dtt in one box. (officially :) )

Sounds good!!!!!
    Can you series link?, and what's your estimate on the cost of your compleate setup above?
    Thanks!!!!

• Advertisement

please can people stop using the term ' Freesat' to describe free to air channels, there is enough confusion as is,

Freesat is a brand name and a platform for free to air channels, as sky is a platform for encrypted and free to air channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

vu+duo is not a combo box nor is it 'freesat' branded,
    its a twin tuner linux based satellite receiver, that requires a usb dvb-t dongle (not 'saorview' approved) to receive DTT,

An internal SATA HD has to be fited to record, and the EPG requires extra software and an internet connection, 'no bother at all'

I was replying to your wrong assumption that every other non-Freesat branded box is uselessas a PVR solution for FTA telly. That is untrue. Irishchris has explained away the barricades you're building for some reason!

Sounds good!!!!!
    Can you series link?, and what's your estimate on the cost of your compleate setup above?
    Thanks!!!!

yes there is a plugin {program} called autotimer which looks through the epg for the name of the program {eg late late show} and finds all other program every week with that name at a specified time {eg between 8pm-11pm} and automatically records them.

vu+ 385 euro
    dtt tuner 25 - 35 euro
    delivery 15 euro

all in all about 435 for the whole system

yes there is a plugin {program} called autotimer which looks through the epg for the name of the program {eg late late show} and finds all other program every week with that name at a specified time {eg between 8pm-11pm} and automatically records them.

vu+ 385 euro
    dtt tuner 25 - 35 euro
    delivery 15 euro

Sounds perfect...... Thanks a million!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MrSneeg

vu+ 385 euro
    dtt tuner 25 - 35 euro
    delivery 15 euro

sound,
    sky tv salesman told me I can have a HD Box installed for 30 euro,
    then 15 euro p/m for HD channnels on top

which is best, and does the vu+ give me sky 1,+sports, RTE sortview, discovery, etc

thanks in advance

MrSneeg wrote: »
    sound,
    sky tv salesman told me I can have a HD Box installed for 30 euro,
    then 15 euro p/m for HD channnels on top

which is best, and does the vu+ give me sky 1,+sports, RTE sortview, discovery, etc

thanks in advance

you will get all the fta channels eg bbc one hd, itv hd, channel 4 hd, bbc hd, channel 5 etc and all the saorview channels eg rte 2 hd. if you wish to ohave sky sports or sky 1 then you will have to subscribe to sky and the vu+ will work with your subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you will get all the fta channels eg bbc one hd, itv hd, channel 4 hd, bbc hd, channel 5 etc and all the saorview channels eg rte 2 hd. if you wish to ohave sky sports or sky 1 then you will have to subscribe to sky and the vu+ will work with your subscription.

You can't guarantee that ANYTHING other than a Sky box will work with Sky card tomorrow. If you get a Sky Sub make sure you get a Sky HD box too.

Also the vu+ doesn't do the Interactive BBC sport etc properly, you have to manually scan and select the hidden streams. It doesn't do MHEG5.

A lot of money for something only partially compatible with Satellite and Terrestrial. It's really for Continental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

vu+ 385 euro
    dtt tuner 25 - 35 euro
    delivery 15 euro

Do you have a linky for that... as the irish sat site i found it on is quoting 459 for the box alone. (pm if you dont want to mention here.) Thanks irishchris.

Access wrote: »
    Do you have a linky for that... as the irish sat site i found it on is quoting 459 for the box alone. (pm if you dont want to mention here.) Thanks irishchris.

no probs mate its: http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/VU/Vu-DUO-Twin-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver
    also they are doing free euro delivery at the moment so scrap what i said about 15 euro delivery in post ;)
    watty wrote: »
    You can't guarantee that ANYTHING other than a Sky box will work with Sky card tomorrow. If you get a Sky Sub make sure you get a Sky HD box too.
    sky card has worked in dreambox {and now vu+ and others} for last 1o+ years so think will be safe for while lol

Also the vu+ doesn't do the Interactive BBC sport etc properly, you have to manually scan and select the hidden streams.
    all bbc interacive channels and all sky sports interactive channel { ie if you pressed red button on a sky standard box} are available. they are listed as sepparate channels {eg sky sports interactive 1-10 etc} aand are available as a channel list to download direct onto the box off the image servers by simply pressing long blue button. not hard and only has tro be done once then is saved to your box. ;) even watty could do it - its childs play lol

It doesn't do MHEG5.
    no it does not as most boxes dont. in terms of freesat/sky mheg 5 does not affect the vu+ in any way as described above.
    also for dtt channels at mo there is no mheg 5 other than aertel which you can still use the vu+ for now with original aertel but not once rte change that. suppoosedly other mheg 5 planned for dtt - possibly another mheg5 epg along with the one which is broadcast on eit at the moment and picked up by the vu+. also there is another way with the vu+ thanks to rytec where you can download 7 day guide for dtt channels if the need is ever there should rte change something in this regard :)

A lot of money for something only partially compatible with Satellite and Terrestrial. It's really for Continental market.

lol consider ireland continental now so - although looking at weather today i dont know about that

I have to say I though watty was being a little unfair with his unbalanced comments.
    I think there is a market out there for this box.... It's not perfect but it's 90% there. It may be a bit too techie for some people, but you have to weigh up payback time, benefits, drawback, other options, etc. while making your choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement