Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leoak

Preusse wrote:
    Update: Referral to professional audiometry test.

The test at the Garda HQ wasn't great but they referred me, told me that once I have a professional hearing test done and am aware of my hearing problem (which doesn't affect my day-to-day life in any way) it shouldn't be a problem.

So off I went got an audiometry test done in the Beacon for Euro 80,00. The audiometrist told me that the Garda test showed a slightly worse result then she got but she said that in any case it shouldn't affect my normal routine duty. So I sent everything off to the medical officer in Garda HQ and waited....two weeks ago came a letter from the Assistent Commissioner thanking me for my interest but unfortunately, they couldn't progress my application as the Medical Officer of the Gardai said my hearing was below the required level.

What got me was that they knew this on the day of the medical, still told me they had some lee-way and I should get a test done by a professional which I did and which was even better than the gardai one in results, got interviews with inspector and my Superintendent in the mean-time, and got recommendations from them and in the end it was all for nothing. Very disappointing.

However, I am glad I did it, at least I tried. Best of luck to all of you and love to read about your experiences. What's left for me is to concentrate on finishing my PhD in Forensics and work from that angle for the community (as well as continuing in the CivDef). ;)

Best,
    Preusse

hithere , im lookin in to doing a course in the above subject !! whats your intake on that ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

I'am not happy. :(

After months of waiting I finally get an email from the G.Reserve office inviting me to attend for a medical either on the 28th August or the 4th September for the next batch of candidates in mid September. A good thing you might think after so long, but just my luck I'am on holidays on both those dates so I won't be able to go on either !! Typical or what !!! Ah well, such is life. It could have been worse, at least I'am invited to a medical. (I loved that bit too at the end that says that attending a medical in no way suggests that you have security clearance)

Anway, I emailed them back with the bad news and asked if there was any way of doing it on the 5th when I come back, but I'am not holding my breath. I'll just have to wait for the next round later on and not go on any holidays - period.

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/physical_test.html

Has anyone seen this on the Garda Website (Garda.ie) ? I just came across it. Is this the kind of thing they put you through at the medical or is this just for the full time members ?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

No, this is not done at the Medical, this is one of the training exercises you do after the Medical when you are in Templemore for the 1st weekend.

Your Joking.. Really.... Is is just a training excerise or is it part of an ongoing assessment of your level of ability and suitability ? Looks a bit pyhsical. I presume your timed or there is a time to acheive ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

That's the physical competency test, it must be passed by propsective trainee Gardaí prior to entering the college. Trainee Gardaí must also pass it to advance through the various training phases. The obsticle course must be completed within 3 minutes 20 seconds and 25kg of force must be achieved on the push-pull machine.

Any news from anybody who attended the recent medicals last week ? How did people get on etc ... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 celticlegend

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone in the Cork region who would have done the initial test in March/April and has their GR2 and interview at local station etc has been called for a medical yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

medical test requires a lot of sitting around waiting. I ended up with a very high blood pressure reading ( they ended up taking it at 3 different times ) but they realized it was as a result of pressure on the day,only person who failed it that day failed it because they had a 'lazy eye'. also we shared testing with a group of regular Gardai,so it was a long day.

p.s.While your at it, pray for us all St. Lucilla!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Vecktarman I would ring them if I were you. I know a few who did not have there leaving cert and got through.All I can say is that your application must have got lost in the system.Hearing is also a big one when it comes to failing the Medical so beware all you Nightclubbers.
    p.s.that would be Ballroom dancing in your case Pat .No I am the one who had to sit beside the Superintendent for my sins not St Lucille.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Persol

Hello everyone. When it comes to the medical, do they normally send letters or just email people?

Persol wrote:
    Hello everyone. When it comes to the medical, do they normally send letters or just email people?

Hi Persol,

I know in my case they emailed me. There are medicals coming up again at the end of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 celticlegend

Just got called for my medical there next tuesday - does anybody know if they tell you on the day if you passed or not or is that something you have to wait on.

Also is it true that you must keep your GR bage at the station when your not working?

Just got called for my medical there next tuesday - does anybody know if they tell you on the day if you passed or not or is that something you have to wait on. Also is it true that you must keep your GR bage at the station when your not working?

Hi Celticlegend,

I'll see you there as I have a medical on that day too. Maybe we'll catch each other ? As far as I know your told on the day if you passed the medical or not, and I believe that your badge is kept at the station when your off duty, but other people can confirm that one. See you Tuesday.

If there was anybody here who did the medical today, will you let us know how you got on as there are at least two of us here up for it on Tuesday.

Hi, just thought I'd let you know that I passed the medical today :D No problems. Hearing and eye sight normal and within limits, so I was passed as fit. I still have no offical word of the background check but the women at reception said that I would get a letter in the post re training. Is this what happended to everyone else ? I'll wait and see, but I passed !!!

Not sure about everyone else in my group today. There was about 12 in total and the 5 in front of me all left after getting changed with no comment. So if anyone who was there this morning is on here please let us know how you got on. (By the way I was the guy with the red hair and blue V neck jumper sitting in the corner by the tv)

Just curious to know how people where contacted after the medical to go for training. As I say I got a phone call that same day but have yet to get a comfirmation letter or email. I might ring them tomorrow to make sure I'am in officially, but did anyone else have the same wait ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Hey
    Just got an e-mail saying the medicals are on the 24th of this month.. I was shocked to hear it is only been done in Dublin. Now i have to take a day off college and get from Cork to Dublin and the best of all its on at 9.30 am.
    You think it be on at a weekend to cause little trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi Murphy,when did u do the interview,had you gotten confirmation of passing that before notice of medical? Thanks.

Ian, how are you finding it so far I am still waiting for Medical, just feel like forgetting about it,

• Advertisement

freddiew wrote: »
    Ian, how are you finding it so far I am still waiting for Medical, just feel like forgetting about it,

Hey Fred,
    There's Medicals on 2day and next Wednesday.. I'm Booked in for the 1 next week..

Quite good, though having said that I'am in the middle of P2 which can be a bit daunting learning all the law stuff. Stick with it. You made it through this far. Only one more hurdle left and your home free.

Hi All, great news, email today to attend for Medical next Wednesday 24th, any advise.

Hi All, great news, email today to attend for Medical next Wednesday 24th, any advise.

Ill be at that 1 too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Freddie thats Brilliant! News.
    The very best of luck with the medical I am delighted you got the call after all that time.
    Keep us posted. Best of luck Murphy

Advice on the medical ?..... Hmmmm.....

Best advice, make sure you have your form with you signed by your GP; don't get pissed the night before and come in bleary eyed; Be on time at 9.30 or whatever the time is; there is no dress code as such, but you will be asked to change into a surgical gown for examination; Bring a book, paper or scrabble as there can be a bit of a wait for examination depending on the day, and bring a snack and a drink as there are no coffee or similar facilities in the medical centre itself, and as I said you may be waiting a while; You should be done either before or after lunch and you will be told on the day if you passed / failed; Oh yes, your pulse and blood pressure will be taken also so try and relax as much as possible. Your going to be nervous, as was everybody, but they'll take that into account.

Ill be at that 1 too

Where are you staying the night or are you driving up that morning?

Hey,
    Was going to drive up in the morning but decided to get a train.. there's a train at 5.15 am and it gets to Dublin at 8.30, so thats perfect.
    Went to the GP this morning to get him to sign the medical form, and it cost 55 euro!! thats crazy.
    How you getting up?

Went to the GP this morning to get him to sign the medical form, and it cost 55 euro!! thats crazy.
    How you getting up?

What !!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

My GP did it for nothing. I filled in the form and he signed it. 55 euro just for a signature :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

I'm still in shock :confused: he took my blood pressure and heart rate and signed it and said good luck.. He probably charged for the good luck aswell:rolleyes: Just to get to the medical in Dublin has cost 110 euro already with 61 euro for the train from Cork.. Not good especially when ur a student.

Advertisement