Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Carwin linked to steriods case

• 14-08-2010 5:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/08/pharmacist_in_mobile_ala_stero.html
    MOBILE, Ala. -- A federal judge today handed down a 4-year prison term to a local pharmacist convicted of participating in a nationwide conspiracy to illegally sell anabolic steroids made in Mobile.

J. Michael Bennett, who was supervising pharmacist at Applied Pharmacy Services, was the first to be sentenced from a group of 5 men found guilty after a five-week trial earlier this year. His punishment was less than half of the 7 years and 4 months sought by prosecutors.

J Michael Bennett.JPGView full sizeJ. Michael Bennett ... gets four years in steroids case.
    "I stand before you a different man than the one who worked for APS in 2005, even than the one who stood before the magistrate (judge) in 2007," a chastened Bennett told U.S. District Judge Ginny Granade. "I had no idea what I was doing was inappropriate."

Bennett's co-defendants, the owners of the pharmacy and an anti-aging clinic owner, are scheduled to be sentenced at a later date, and Granade suggested they face stiffer punishment.

"I don't think in the overall scheme of things, (Bennett's) culpability matches that of the pharmacy owners," the judge said.

Prosecutors referred to Bennett, 44, and the others in a sentencing memorandum as a "drug dealers in lab coats." They contended that Bennett played a key role in an enterprise involving rogue doctors and health clinics across the country who used the compounding pharmacy to supply healthy adults with dangerous steroids.

Some of those substances were veterinary drugs approved only for use in livestock.

"These are steroids for horses and cows, not for young people and humans," Assistant U.S. Attorney Donna Dobbins said.

According to court records, Applied Pharmacy Services shipped 762,388 dosages to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until Aug. 30, 2006. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Mobile contends that does not include many other doctors and clinics that they say participated in the conspiracy.

Those performance-enhancing drugs ended up in the hands of users ranging from professional athletes to teenagers looking to build body mass. Prosecutors cited 22 professional athletes who obtained steroids from Applied Pharmacy Services during the time Bennett worked there.

Snapshots of the 5 defendants convicted of steroids charges Feb. 8, 2009:

* A. Samuel Kelley II of Mobile. The president and CEO of the now-defunct Applied Pharmacy Services, he was convicted of 130 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering.

* Jason R. Kelley of Mobile. The secretary and part owner of Applied Pharmacy, he was convicted of 127 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering.

* Jodi C. Silvio of Baton Rouge, La. The treasurer of Applied Pharmacy and a fill-in pharmacist there, he was convicted of 60 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution and money laundering.

* J. Michael Bennett of Mobile. The supervising pharmacist at Applied, he was convicted of five counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution and distribution to a person younger than 21.

* Brett W. Branch of Eaton, Colo. The owner of Infinite Health, he was convicted of 46 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering conspiracy.

In court today, Dobbins named seven whose orders included Bennett's signature or initials:

* Shane Carwin, a former NCAA Division II wrestling champion who went on to become an Ultimate Fighting heavyweight champion.

* Kurt Angle, a former Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler and professional wrestler.

* Bob Howard, a pro wrestler from Mobile who performed under the name "Hardcore" Bob Holly.

* Tony Freeman, a professional bodybuilder nicknamed "The X-Man."

* Quincy Taylor, a professional bodybuilder.

* Dennis Newman, a professional bodybuilder.

* Troy Zuccolotto, a professional bodybuilder.

Court documents reference 6 other professional bodybuilders, 7 professional wrestlers and 2 professional baseball players by their initials only.

Dobbins pointed to intercepted phone conversations showing Bennett taking an active role in the operation, speaking with co-defendant Brett W. Branch, who brokered many of the steroids sales.

"As the supervising pharmacist, he was the one in charge," she said. "We expect and rely on the pharmacist to make sure what we are given is save, effective and legal."

Dobbins pointed to testimony from about a half-dozen people who described side effects ranging from an intense burning feeling on their flesh to shrinkage of their testicles to depression to quarter-sized acne on their backs.

Dobbins said users "suffered severe -- in some cases permanent -- side effects."

After threads like the UFC 116 thread colour me bemused. Thank god he isnt UFC champion as that would be badforthesport!

*Edit*

http://www.fightlawyerblog.com/2010/08/professional-athletes-linked-to-alabama.html

This blog has a link to court papers citing Carwin or someone using his initals ordered Tronbolone, Testosterone, Stanozohol and Nandrolone during a period covering his first 5 fights/pre-UFC career.

Attn: athletes when ordering PEDs dont ordered it under your own name or initals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Thread reopened, as the story is being picked up by reputable mma sites.

Carwin had no comment, but plans to make a statement at a later date, his manager Jason Genet said when reached by MMA Fighting.

I reccommend ppl read our rules on posts regarding steroid allegations, before posting in this thread.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jaysus.

Shane (allegedly) ordered the wrong stuff.

He should've ordered the "Gas-Tank 2000" pills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Don't know what to make of it. It wouldn't really be that surprising if he has taken steriods at some stage of life but since these accusations only relate to his pre UFC days are we to think he suddenely stopped or just got smarter about it?

What is the UFC's drug testing policy anyway? Just after fights? Or does it depend on the state athletic commisions?

Edit: It's the athletic commisions.

I agree with the above. If he took Steroids in his Pre-MMA days then it's no big deal.

As long as he's not cheating in competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I agree with the above. If he took Steroids in his Pre-MMA days then it's no big deal.

As long as he's not cheating in competition.

The case covers the period from April 2004 to August 2006. Carwin had his first five fights during that time as rovert said

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    The case covers the period from April 2004 to August 2006. Carwin had his first five fights during that time as rovert said

Ah :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

http://twitter.com/roynelsonmma
    # I am surprised that athletes in mma do steroids ;( that explains body types about 2 hours ago via Facebook

:pac:

rovert wrote: »

Oh ffs!

I hope he's not being serious!

Anyone else think his silence is pretty damning for the self appointed white knight, working class hero of MMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anyone else think his silence is pretty damning for the self appointed white knight, working class hero of MMA?

Agreed, for somebody who is probably the most active Twitterer in MMA (Apart from Rogan), Carwin's silence is deafening

• Advertisement

No innocent until proven guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No innocent until proven guilty?

Nah, lynch him, more fun :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, the guy is a massive twitterer and is ALWAYS on it, since the story broke he's not touched it. Many fans have asked him to say it isn't so.

If that was me, and i was innocent, i'd be screaming it off the rooftops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

CARWIN HASN'T DONE NOTHING ILLEGAL

Lol sorry for the caps what carwin done nothing wrong in eyes of the ufc law , he will be fine its just the doctor who will probably go down for a few years !

Lol sorry for the caps what carwin done nothing wrong in eyes of the ufc law , he will be fine its just the doctor who will probably go down for a few years !

UFC Law?

What are you on about? It's the integrity of him as an athlete that is the talking point here.

Just because he hasn't been Tweeting, doesnt condemn him!

maybe his arm twitched and he crushed his phone to dust in his hand!

Just checked out Shane's Twitter actually, Scudzilla, are you trying to start a Tweet war with Shane? :pac:

I would just like to think that certain posters on here would be as quiet and open minded if this happened to other half of the UFC 116 main event. :rolleyes:

Carwin updated his twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneCarwin/status/21366339819 and is now confident enough to give out yards to people after stategising with Dana.

Also Shane insults another fighters cardio!
    # I love Roy Nelson trying to elevate his status by talking smacks. Hopefully he is doing so on a treadmil. Some have rolls he has a bakery. about 9 hours ago via TweetCaster

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

I would just like to think that certain posters on here would be as quiet and open minded if this happened to other half of the UFC 116 main event. :rolleyes:

Carwin updated his twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneCarwin/status/21366339819 and is now confident enough to give out yards to people after stategising with Dana.

LOL this HAS happened to the other half of the 116 main event.

Since he's been a Mixed Martial Artist?

• Advertisement

Not as an active MMA fighter bit of a difference there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

He has in american law, which I'm guessing is slightly more serious than this "ufc law" thing you mentioned

He has in american law, which I'm guessing is slightly more serious than this "ufc law" thing you mentioned

I-am-the-law.jpg

Not as an active MMA fighter bit of a difference there.

Not in my opinion. Neither guy has ever pissed hot after a fight, so can't be considered cheats. However there is a large question mark over both.

This shouldn't really be turned into a discussion about Brock Lesnar.

I think this forum is catching Frank Mir syndrome!

Not in my opinion. Neither guy has ever pissed hot after a fight, so can't be considered cheats. However there is a large question mark over both.

Well over I think both question marks shifted over to the Brock side during the run up to UFC 116 and after as well.

Sorry but Carwin according to reports was taking a number of PED during his first 5 fights he is a cheat if true in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

This shouldn't really be turned into a discussion about Brock Lesnar.

I think this forum is catching Frank Mir syndrome!

I think Rovert already has that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

So does this mean that Brock, after nearly dying, bet someone who has been on steroids half his career? What a legend. Best in the sport

Gerard.C wrote: »
    So does this mean that Brock, after nearly dying, bet someone who has been on steroids half his career? What a legend. Best in the sport

Bring on Fedor eh? :P

• Advertisement

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Best in the sport

:eek:

:rolleyes:

Advertisement