Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding Dress shops

• 21-03-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Hey - I'm just setting out on a venture to find the aul wedding dress!

I'm not particularly set on a 'wedding' dress as such, so will be popping into
    Costume, BT etc etc.

But can anyone recommend any shops? I already have
    Cathy DeStafford and Town Bride on my list.

I have heard AWFUL things about Berkertex, so will be steering clear.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I got a Ghost pale pink dress and teamed it up with a pale pink veil - got the dress in BT's. Was not very expensive, plus I can wear it again but it was still a special dress and it really did look like a wedding dress. I got the veil on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 worksucks

I was at the wedding dress craic last week. Went to all these places and found staff very nice
    1. Alexanders- down by parnell street area
    2. cATHY dE STAFFORD
    3 ANABEL BRIDAL WICKLOW STREET
    4. Ivory room city west (thought these were the best)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Oh - I might try the Ivory room - I've seen the posters up. And I work in Citywest, so that would be handy.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I'd recommend 'Classy Lass' in Clane, Kildare, if thats not too far for you, great range and individual treatment, my finacee got her dress there and was very happy with the staff, very professional and courteous:D

She had been to a few bridal shops in Dublin and was treated like just another punter who would wear anything and don't get me started about that bridal shop in Liffey Valley, bunch of b*****s:mad:

sorry about the rant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

My friend bought hers in Debenhams, apparently they're lovely and not too expensive.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips! I think I've found THE dress :)
    Gonna buy it online, for the saving I'm making, I would be nuts not to!

I have to say Town Bride was really great, Aspirations was gick. Not only was the 'shop' horrid, the staff knew damn all.
    The lady in the Ivory room was a bit scatty - she didn't help me at all, and kept on putting the dresses that I wanted to try on back up on the rails. She couldn't pin either.

Cathy DeStafford was also good - they gave some great advice in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 worksucks

By the way I think it is very hard to know where to go wedding dress shopping. I think someone should do a "Sticky" thing about it and people could add to it. I'd do it myself but I am technophobic and don't know how?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

olaola wrote:

Costume, BT etc etc.

I think it's hit and miss with wedding shops, but please steer clear of Pronuptia....they were awful...they have beautiful gowns, but my dress arrived two weeks before the wedding and I was rushing around tryna get to the fitters and stuff, completely ruined the build up to my wedding.

Berketex are actually quite good, but I have heard that their after sales part is dreadful....

Bella Novia in Talbot street are brilliant. Because of Pronuptia's messing, I actually went looking for a back up dress and went to Bella Novia, the girls had all the dresses in my size lined up for me when I got there and were going to do the alterations for me for nothing...I would highly recommend them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 deromalley

olaola wrote:
    Thanks for the tips! I think I've found THE dress :)
    Gonna buy it online, for the saving I'm making, I would be nuts not to!

I have to say Town Bride was really great, Aspirations was gick. Not only was the 'shop' horrid, the staff knew damn all.
    The lady in the Ivory room was a bit scatty - she didn't help me at all, and kept on putting the dresses that I wanted to try on back up on the rails. She couldn't pin either.

Cathy DeStafford was also good - they gave some great advice in there.

Have you got your dress online yet? I know my fiance is thinking about doing that but is afraid it will not work out okay.

deromalley wrote:
    Have you got your dress online yet? I know my fiance is thinking about doing that but is afraid it will not work out okay.

Heya - sorry I didn't reply sooner. No I didn't buy it online. We reckoned we didn't really have enough time to order it online. And if it didn't arrive in time, or there was something wrong, it only left us with a couple of weeks to remedy it.

So I bought my dress in Town Bride, where, can I say I'm having the most pleasurable Bride experience. They are SO good, and I'm going in for my fourth and (maybe) final fitting this Friday. The dress is fitted perfectly, and they leave no stone unturned. Completely professional set up. I'm really really impressed with them, and talking to other girls who bought their dresses here - they are of the same opinion. I cannot praise them enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Hi, My Fiancee is about to start looking for a wedding dress in the next few months. she's got a list of places to go visit. but our main question at the moment is what kind of price would a dress be. I know it a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but any ideas?

We were thinking about 1000 would be enough it this too little or should she be able to find a good range for that kind of price.

also she is thinking of getting a halter neck dress is there much choice, she's been to a fwew shops and hasn't seen many halter necks.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if €1000 would be enough for a 'Wedding' dress. I'd consider looking at places like Lara, BTs and a few of the smaller boutiques for something.

There is a 'warehouse' place in Baldoyle, which is supposed to be very reasonable. I've never been, but I've heard of a few people who got their dresses there. I've seen the ad in a few mags, can't remember the name of it!
    I'm sure someone here might.

Edited to say - I tried on a fab halterneck dress in a boutique beside the Westbury... I think it was Rococco??? Anyway - it was a definite contender in the dress stakes, and they were really helpful in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stinkybum

Interestingly, i went to all those shops and the only place i felt in anyway looked after was Berkertex. They had me try on everything and have been superb in getting extra fittings cos i'm now up the duff. My dress is stunning and i never ever would have bought something like what i have if they hadnt encouraged me to try it on.

Town Bride were rude and dismissive, - laughing when i told them i'd seen a gorgeous dress in berkertex, a few of the other shops including ciara bridal and kathy de stafford told me to come back after i'd lost my "christmas weight" (i'm a size 16 and had just dropped a dress size).

Basically, everyones experience is going to be different but dont disregard any one shop because of a rumour. I can only highly recommend Berkertex - and i had no budget for my dress :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 happybee

I ventured into the Oxfam Bridal Shop on Georges street,and I had a great time.I had a lovely woman called Susan look after me.I didnt once feel awkward or that i was taking up her time.She let me try on anything and everything that I wanted.She chatted away happily throughout the whole thing.
    I'm a size 16 and tall,so wedding dress shopping can be a pretty awful experience because they sneer at you for not being a size 12 (p*ss off!).
    But They were just fabulous.I am a wedding hair stylist and photographer myself,and before I knew it, i was happily volunteering my services if the store ever needed photos because they were that friendly and enthusiastic.

My wedding will be inexpensive.I dont want to be wandering around all night thinking of my dress being stood on or damaged.And I have found a dress.......for a mere €160!! yes you read that correctly. They have a fantastic range of dresses,and the money goes towards a great cause.And its a separate room upstairs,so its totally private.
    I honestly dont have any qualms about wearing a second hand dress at all, especially after such a nice experience.
    While a lot of the dresses are second hand, theres a huge amount of designer dresses too,which still have their labels on.
    They only take appointments so dont turn up expecting to be taken care of.
    I highly recommend a visit.Because at the very least you will feel like someone actually cares about you,and not about the zeros on the price-tag.
    :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

HappyBee, I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and assume you are not advertising. Please make sure in future that you post your posts on the relevant thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 happybee

Hiya iguana
    Nope defo wasnt advertising at all! Was just enthusiastic about a great place to get a great dress!
    (am still not sure how it could be seen as advertising), but apologies if those were anyones thoughts!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

happybee wrote: »
    Hiya iguana
    Nope defo wasnt advertising at all! Was just enthusiastic about a great place to get a great dress!
    (am still not sure how it could be seen as advertising), but apologies if those were anyones thoughts!

When new user posts about a shop/service it's generally because they are trying to get free advertising. Cathy_Moran's thread was relating to her wedding last December, so when a thread gets pulled up from a year ago it can again seem like advertising.

That said a new user can make mistakes, and as Oxfam is a charity, and in Ireland I highly efficient one, rather than a personal enterprise I just moved your post to the correct thread.

Welcome to boards and congratulations on your wedding.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jugan

in tullamore, co. offaly, there is a shop that sells and rents bridesmaid dresses and they sometimes order dresses for brides. they are very reasonable. MY fair lady in market square. it takes about 50 minutes from the M50.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Brides and Belles in Longford

Alice Ann in Longford

A Touch of Class in Athlone

Lizs Bridal in Finea, I think Cavan:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pauloriordanire

hi, my name is eamer,
    i also had problems trying to find the ideal dress. a friend of mine from belfast had the same problem and while she was on holliday in kerry she was told by a girl working in a hotel in killarney about a bridal shop in tralee. so she rand them and made an apppointment she said the woman who runs the shop was brilinant and very friendly they carry all sizes ,
    i though it was a bit of a journey but gave them a call i ended up getting a buaityful peach gown by phil collins the prices are very reasonable and i sorted every thing down to the garted and brides msids ( fab selection)
    would highley recomend them, have sent down many of my friends and they all came back happy,
    here is their number hope this helped.

olaola wrote: »

Costume, BT etc etc.

;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pauloriordanire

hi, my name is eamer,
    i got my dress in kingdom bridal wear in tralee,
    great service and great prices from 800 - 1500 .
    top labels such as alfred angelo, mori lee ,ect.
    plus great discounts when you get bridesmaids dresses as well.
    would highley recomend
    here is their no

Noelie wrote: »
    Hi, My Fiancee is about to start looking for a wedding dress in the next few months. she's got a list of places to go visit. but our main question at the moment is what kind of price would a dress be. I know it a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but any ideas?

We were thinking about 1000 would be enough it this too little or should she be able to find a good range for that kind of price.

also she is thinking of getting a halter neck dress is there much choice, she's been to a fwew shops and hasn't seen many halter necks.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Barn Owl

I'm on the lookout for the ole dress myself...and I was wondering if any of you out there could tell me...where would one go for discounted designer dresses. For example, Ive spotted a Jenny Packham dress but it is astronomically expensive. Is there anywhere or any online sites you would recommend? Thanks a million .....Good luck to all of you who are in the same situation!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 boredatwork26

I got married last June and was going to keep my wedding dress but now decided no point holding onto it. I bought it in Galway last year cost €1,900. Its a size 10 white dress- tight bodice top then goes out at the waist. quite a big dress. its what i always dreamed of its cinderella type dress. if anyone interested would sell it now. have 2 bridesmaid dresses also would sell with dress. two piece set- bodice and skirt. sizes 12 and 14. would sell at reasonable price.

if anyone interested leave your email address on this site and i will email pictures to you . dress on its own or dress with bridesmaid whatever suits!!

ok bye

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭leef23

Has anyone gone up the north or gone over to the US for a dress.Or you know any websits you can recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I heard somewhere that there's a couple of places in Dublin carrying second hand wedding dresses, is this true? Went to the Oxfam shop a few weeks ago and they had nothing that suits - I'm a 16 and all the dresses in my size seemed to be cream and I need to wear white or I look jaundiced :o

Anyone know of anywhere else? I'll be up in Dublin this week so it'd be nice to see something.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I bought my wedding dress online.

I had decided not to in favour of getting the adjustments done by the shop. I found the dress I wanted in a shop outside Galway, I was assured that this was the current range and I could order whenever I liked. I was all excited so I went home and looked it up on the manufacturer's website and it was discontinued!

I rang the shop immediately and they went off for a few min and came back and said, sorry, if it's discontinued we can't get it and hung up.

Now I'm not one to get blubby about a dress but I think I was more annoyed that I'd found one I liked and thought my search was over (which lets face it is annoying).

I had a look around some of the online bridal shops and I saw that it was stocked by http://www.thebridalshop.com. I sent on an email to them explaining the discontinued status. I got a mail back within 10 minutes saying that they'd spoken to the manufacturer and that it had indeed been discontinued but that they might have some stock left.

I forwarded on my size and colour choice and he came back again saying that unfortunately they don't have it but that he's talked to them and they'd agreed to run one up for me.

I was absolutely delighted with them. The dress arrived to my Bridesmaid in Boston a week early and she could bring it home with her on the plane. It's absolutely perfect.

Cost in the Shop €1590
    Cost online €720

No brainer.

I also used http://www.gownsales.com for my bridesmaid dresses (Dessy), another big saving. The gownsales site doesn't inspire confidence but I had talked to a few people who used them before I tried and they turned out to be very good. They'll even send you swatches of material if you want to see them beforehand.

Bear in mind that if you're getting them delivered to Ireland you'll more than likely be charged customs, it should still work out a lot cheaper mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I bought my wedding dress online.

I had a look around some of the online bridal shops and I saw that it was stocked by http://www.thebridalshop.com. I sent on an email to them explaining the discontinued status. I got a mail back within 10 minutes saying that they'd spoken to the manufacturer and that it had indeed been discontinued but that they might have some stock left.

I forwarded on my size and colour choice and he came back again saying that unfortunately they don't have it but that he's talked to them and they'd agreed to run one up for me.

I was absolutely delighted with them. The dress arrived to my Bridesmaid in Boston a week early and she could bring it home with her on the plane. It's absolutely perfect.

Cost in the Shop €1590
    Cost online €720

No brainer.

Das Kitty I'm delighted to read a recommendation of thebridalshop.com. I found my dream dress in Drogheda for 1450. Allowing for customs charges etc it will work out at roughly 700euro from this place. I've been hesitant about ordering online but I think I'll just go for it now!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

One thing to note is although mine came early, I have heard of people getting it up to 2 weeks late. It's not a problem if you have plenty of time, but if you're running close the the wire it's something to consider. Then again, this is probably more to do with the shop's suppliers than themselves so you'd probably encounter similar in a real world bridal shop.

You also need to factor in alteration costs which are included in some Bridal Shops (but not all, which IMO is shocking)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CJay

I bought my dress on eBay and I can't gush ehougn about how lovely it is!
    It's exactly like the picture and the woman who makes them couldn't have been attentive enough, really on the ball getting back in emails....she does state that you allow a certain time frame for the dress to arrive. She makes it to very sepcific measurements...though I ordered mine in a size 10 but gave my height measurement.
    Any adjustments can be made by my aunt (a seamstress in her spare time)

the shop is http://stores.ebay.ie/Elegance-Wedding
    I also got my bridesmaids and flower girls dress there, total cost, including postage, was under €500
    Also, we had a panic over one of the bridesmaids discovering she was pregnant and I got great help with re-arranging her dress. Brilliant service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ohno!

Hello first time using boards so hope it goes well, I am just about to start the search for a wedding dress, I have found a dress which I saw a celebrity wearing to the Oscars and think it is beautiful would love to have it as my wedding dress - so can anyone recommend a really really good dress maker there is lace involved so I would imagine difficult job preferably around tipp/waterford or kilkenny but I am willing to travel if the dress maker was worth it

Advertisement