Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Bono Our Only Hope?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

mike65 wrote: »

He'll die roaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gavrilo princip

PARIS (AP) — Rock star Bono pressed French leader Nicolas Sarkozy to increase aid to developing nations, the aid advocacy group DATA said.

The organization, co-founded by Bono, front man of the U2 rock group, has urged France to raise development assistance to 0.7 percent of gross national income by 2012 as agreed earlier. In 2006, French aid stood at 0.31 percent of gross national income, DATA said.

"The president admitted it would be very, very hard, but France would keep her word," the statement quoted Bono as saying Tuesday following the meeting.

DATA's statement cites an October parliamentary report showing France's estimated overseas development assistance would be 0.35 percent of gross national income in 2007 and would remain at 0.35 percent in 2008.

Oh no. Bono got the French government to increase aid to poor people.
    What a complete wanker. I can't believe the gall of that man.
    May he die roaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kenigmatic

Bono is a megalomaniacal,hypocritical, arsewipe.
    He's a NWO (New World Order) 'useful idiot' & has become an embarrasment to anyone with critical faculties left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

If he can influence people/organisations/governments to help out poorer people I say go for it, what's wrong with that.

And if he can use his fame to highlight some world issues, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kenigmatic

If he can influence people/organisations/governments to help out poorer people I say go for it, what's wrong with that.

And if he can use his fame to highlight some world issues, why not?

Oh! Dear...
    Here we go again.
    Look, the problems of poverty, deprivation & injustice in the world are a lot more important than discussing what Mr. Hewson does with his 'fame'.
    I find it amazing how this particular discussion always hinges on 'what should the poor multi-millionaire do with his or her time', etc.
    Surely, your energies would be better spent in finding out how & why it is that 1/3 of the world population is in poverty?
    Including, incidentally, in the celtic tiger.
    I don't care about Bono, his hotels, his ego, his bs &, unless you are a friend or relative of his, neither should you.
    Use your head, for chrisake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

kenigmatic wrote: »
    Oh! Dear...
    Here we go again.
    Look, the problems of poverty, deprivation & injustice in the world are a lot more important than discussing what Mr. Hewson does with his 'fame'.
    I find it amazing how this particular discussion always hinges on 'what should the poor multi-millionaire do with his or her time', etc.

Your missing the point I was trying to make. It doesn't bother me what Bono does or does not do with his 'fame' or time etc.
    Surely, your energies would be better spent in finding out how & why it is that 1/3 of the world population is in poverty?

This is exactly my point. If he can highlight an issue, (you don't have to agree with the issue) that otherwise some people may not have been aware about and go and find out about the reasons for themselfs, then what is wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Oh! Dear...
    Here we go again.
    Including, incidentally, in the celtic tiger.
    I don't care about Bono, his hotels, his ego, his bs &, unless you are a friend or relative of his, neither should you.
    Use your head, for chrisake!
    You seem to get quite upset about someone you don't care about.
    Perhaps it would be better if you didn't stress yourself by reading articles about Bono.

He's a scumbag,a greedy,money-grabbing,tax-dodging,pontificating,hypocritical little scumbag.His wealth is part of the reason theer's so much ppoverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Bono is a megalomaniacal,hypocritical, arsewipe.
    He's a NWO (New World Order) 'useful idiot' & has become an embarrasment to anyone with critical faculties left.
    Degsy wrote: »
    He's a scumbag,a greedy,money-grabbing,tax-dodging,pontificating,hypocritical little scumbag.His wealth is part of the reason theer's so much ppoverty.

What are you ? 12 ?

2 Fuc kin Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

v10 banned for personal abuse. Let's keep it civil, folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Hard to believe Irish people putting the knife in on any Irish person who ever done anything of merit. :rolleyes: I really ****ing hate that about this country. He's not perfect and has indeed moved his cash offshore but he's still done ten times more for the planet than anyone in here ever has or will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

He's a cracking singer though! ;)

Stargal wrote: »
    v10 banned for personal abuse. Let's keep it civil, folks.
    Worth every minute (of bannage that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

FunkZ wrote: »
    He's a cracking singer though! ;)

He sings as well?

I'll have to change the logo on my eco-friendly t-shirt and add "and also sings"

v10 wrote: »
    Worth every minute (of bannage that is)

You reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've met him before and have to say that he's a dead on guy. It's just his performing persona that makes him out to be a twat. I've no real problem with the man. Admitadly, I'm jealous of his fame and money, but he earned it. No reason to hold it against him, expecially when he at least tries to give something back.

He could start by paying tax.If he contributed to the economy we'd be in a better position to squander our national budget on other countries' hard-luck cases.

He could start by paying tax.If he contributed to the economy we'd be in a better position to squander our national budget on other countries' hard-luck cases.
    He does (& U2) pay tax. There's very few businesses in Ireland that wouldn't do the same thing if they could. All businesses try to minimise tax. Fair enough if you ask me, especially considering U2 conduct over 90% of their business outside Ireland.

v10 wrote: »
    He does (& U2) pay tax. There's very few businesses in Ireland that wouldn't do the same thing if they could. All businesses try to minimise tax. Fair enough if you ask me, especially considering U2 conduct over 90% of their business outside Ireland.

But all these other "businesses" arent telling us how we should spend our money,are they?If him and the rest of his balding cronies want to live an offshore life of greed and tax-avoidance thats fine,but he should not be lecturing anybody on the plight of the poor,and he certainly shouldnt be telling this government how to spend MY tax money.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

his band is rubbish... they haven't put out anything that's any good since Achtung Baby, and that was like 1991 or something

apart from that i find Bono extremely sanctimonious, irritating and hypocritical.
    how can he and his band justify selling concert tickets in Brazil that cost a month's wages for the average Brazilian?? and then preach "Make Poverty History"
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

and Megalome, as for the Irish back-stabbing Bono... I think you'll find he's got a lot more supporters and fans over here than in the UK for example, where people think he's a laughing stock

• Advertisement

AND the lipless dwarf dragged somebody through the courts to get back a poxy hat and a smelly pair of jocks..drop the debt,eh Bono?

Advertisement