Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy for company director

• 11-04-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I am a director of a public limited company, and also an employee of the company. Work is very slow, so I am not going to be working in the company anymore. But can I be made redundant and claim social welfare if I remain a director in the comany?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Wherenext wrote: »
    Hi I am a director of a public limited company, and also an employee of the company. Work is very slow, so I am not going to be working in the company anymore. But can I be made redundant and claim social welfare if I remain a director in the comany?

Thanks.

I presume you mean Ltd company? A PLC is a company on the stock exchange...

I'm not sure how you figure you have two separate relationships with the company - you are either employed or not employed by a company. It's the income that matters and in some cases if means testing permits you can work for the company and get welfare support.

I strongly doubt you can be made redundant and remain as a director as everyone would use that to get tax free income from their company.

You are viewed as self employed so will need to pass a means test to get Job seekers assistance. All here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

I'd suggest booking a meeting with your local social welfare office with all the information to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Not all PLC's are quoted on the stock exchange, it is also used for widely held (many shareholder) ltd companies.
    You do not have to be an employee to be a director.
    As it is a PLC, I take it you are not a proprietary director as that would eliminate any entitlement to both redundancy and Jobseekers Benefit.
    Respecting the foregoing, it is quite possible be a director and a shareholder of a company and maintain your rights to both redundancy and JSB in the same was any other employee. In this case, it would seem on the face of it, as you are losing your job and are available for work, you are fully entitled.

Advertisement