Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin will be Taoiseach within 5 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Voltwad wrote: »
    Gilmore will destroy Martin and I look forward to it.

Didn't happen after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Unless we discover €500 billion worth of oil off the coast and get a contract where the oil is not given away for free like the gas this recession is going nowhere, neither is the blame.

Oil was discovered last year off the west coast, I would not have a clue what the terms are though. But the tunnel they are building is big enough for an oil pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I couldnt stand watching either of them debate today.My head is dizzy:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Bumpety bump bump bump

Just heard MM on Newstalk. He seems reborn...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

D1stant wrote: »
    Bumpety bump bump bump

Reborn? As in like what you did with this 3 year old thread??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Avns1s wrote: »
    Reborn? As in like what you did with this 3 year old thread??

Like opening a time capsule, according to today's local elections the OP's thesis will not be fulfilled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Reborn....yeah......must be something in that humble pie he had to eat, after that creature hannafin re-enters political life.....some mess....

Blackrock got what they voted for there....the olde fart gray brigade saw to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

D1stant wrote: »
    Bumpety bump bump bump

Thank you for reminding us how your shower of gobsheens haven't quiet gone away sadly.

BTW is he still buddies with o'callaghan or was that link severed when the ar** fell out of the property business.

jmayo wrote: »
    BTW is he still buddies with o'callaghan or was that link severed when the ar** fell out of the property business.

O'Callaghan is still in shock I believe, he never suspected that giving brown envelopes with the requested amounts of cash was anything other than a Government TAX and normal business practice. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yep, so much for the much vaunted sophistication of the Irish electorate and it's all so damn predictable. Goldfish memories, civil war politics and disillusionment win-out yet again. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

What's the percentage of voting among different demographics? Is it those 65+, 90% vote, while those under 25, 30% vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

jmayo wrote: »
    Thank you for reminding us how your shower of gobsheens haven't quiet gone away sadly.

My shower? I've never voted FF in my life. Never will. Read the OP before you make stupid assumptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

When I see FF making a comeback, I'm glad most power resides in Brussels and it lessons the damage FF can do at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

kev9100 wrote: »
    Yeah probably. Its sad to think how gullible the Irish people are.

Voters in the United States managed to elected George W. Bush twice (kind of), and the Italians voted Berlusconi into power on three separate occasions. Although people here love to think that Ireland is uniquely docile and backward, humans are capable of stupidity all over the world.

The reason FF will be returned to power is that elections are rarely about placing the best candidate in the best office. Modern humans are so awash with cynicism that elections are usually a case of voting someone out rather than voting someone else in. In Ireland, this seems to be especially true as it gives the masses the illusion that they are getting some revenge on the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He could be Taoiseach by this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

3068135695_02a83a7e21.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He could be Taoiseach by this time next year

In your dreams. Despite the dopey electorate the FF "The Toxic Party" are finished as SF have stolen their clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I would say there is little doubt FF will make up part of the next Government, probably with MM as the Taoiseach.
    Cant really see it being anything other than a FF / SF government.

It' a far cry from a couple of years ago when some people were saying FF were finished as a party.

PS. Ive never and I never will vote for either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

In your dreams. Despite the dopey electorate the FF "The Toxic Party" are finished as SF have stolen their clothes.

This is a country that elected Enda Kenny as Taoiseach, I think that has taught us that any eejit in the right place at the right time could end up being Taoiseach. I'm not an FFer, but they have become the biggest party in the country at local level again, so by the time the General Election happens they could be the biggest party again. If that happens and Micheal Martin is leader of FF, then he'll be Taoiseach.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    This is a country that elected Enda Kenny as Taoiseach,

No, we did not.

We elect a group of people to a parliament, that is all we do.

Thereafter those individuals form a ruling body ~ technically illegal as all the TDs are part of the government ~ then the ruling body form an inner cabinet and the leader of the largest party is Taoiseach he then calls all the shots, he will have made certain deals to make this happen.

We do not elect the Taoiseach.

In local government we also elect a collective but in many of the larger ones like in Cork city we have a pack system whereby the largest parties combine to rule and 'elect' a Mayor ~ the Mayoralty is chosen and passed around so most get a chance ~ just because they agreed to this pact.

Technically this is also illegal and there is great pressure on to publically elect a Mayor, this system is coming on stream.

I do see the day where we elect the Taoiseach too, but currently we don't and the way the Dáil works, minimises democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Red Nissan wrote: »
    No, we did not.

Thereafter those individuals form a ruling body ~ technically illegal as all the TDs are part of the government ~ then the ruling body form an inner cabinet and the leader of the largest party is Taoiseach he then calls all the shots, he will have made certain deals to make this happen.

In local government we also elect a collective but in many of the larger ones like in Cork city we have a pack system whereby the largest parties combine to rule and 'elect' a Mayor ~ the Mayoralty is chosen and passed around so most get a chance ~ just because they agreed to this pact.

Technically this is also illegal and there is great pressure on to publically elect a Mayor, this system is coming on stream.

I do see the day where we elect the Taoiseach too, but currently we don't and the way the Dáil works, minimises democracy.

What makes all this "illegal"?

(And your definition of government is wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

... and there is great pressure on to publically elect a Mayor, this system is coming on stream.
    Where is this system coming on stream? Seeing as they've scrapped the plans for Dublin.

Where is this system coming on stream? Seeing as they've scrapped the plans for Dublin.

This was to be the that last pact, it was extended and the new Council have already offered Independents the Mayoralty in support in a voting pacts ~

So it might well follow down the road on the ever longer finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Thereafter those individuals form a ruling body ~ technically illegal as all the TDs are part of the government

All TDs are not part of the Government. The Government is the Cabinet and the Cabinet only.

Bunreacht na hÉireann, Article 28, Section 1:

"The Government shall consist of not less than seven and not more than fifteen members who shall be appointed by the President in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I would say there is little doubt FF will make up part of the next Government, probably with MM as the Taoiseach.
    Cant really see it being anything other than a FF / SF government.

It' a far cry from a couple of years ago when some people were saying FF were finished as a party.

PS. Ive never and I never will vote for either of them.

But could a man who was lodging a developers donation into his wife's AIB bank account be Taoiseach ?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I can not see a member of the old administration in FF getting elected taoiseach - maybe a Michael McGrath rather than a John McGuinness maybe a better option
    Although the parliamentary party leaves few options at the minute for a new FF Leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No, we did not.

You mention a number of times in your post that certain things are illegal or technically illegal. Can you point me to the relevant statutes that are being broken?

From my own knowledge of the statutory and constitutional legislation there does not appear to be any law being broken. Maybe you could clarify?

Godge wrote: »
    You mention a number of times in your post that certain things are illegal or technically illegal. Can you point me to the relevant statutes that are being broken?

From my own knowledge of the statutory and constitutional legislation there does not appear to be any law being broken. Maybe you could clarify?

No. You'll have to make your own mind up. We are supposed to elect a Dáil but once elected we the voters have no more power and central government is often manipulated both here and in other democratic countries in a way that transcends the spirit of democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No. You'll have to make your own mind up. We are supposed to elect a Dáil but once elected we the voters have no more power and central government is often manipulated both here and in other democratic countries in a way that transcends the spirit of democracy.

You are talking rubbish.

No, we did not.

Twice you make a statement that things are technically illegal. The use of the word "illegal" directly implies that a statute or the constitution are being broken. The use of the word "technically" implies that a specific provision is being broken.

You give off an air of knowing what these are but you can't quote them when asked.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    You are talking rubbish. You give off an air of knowing what these are but you can't quote them when asked.

Thanks a million.

Martin needs a lot more support like this.

Advertisement