Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shell V Power Fuel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Fey! wrote:
    Isn't V-Power 98Ron in Britain and 95Ron here?

Used to be Fey but its 100 RON now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

C_Breeze wrote:
    V-Power is an absolute waste of money.

Its the same 95ron as regular unleaded.

People that "feel" improvements must be imagining things. ...if anything i used it once and it 'felt' that the engine was running a lot more coarse.

I would imagine that in order to make it cleaner and more environmentally friendly, some other cahracteristics of regular petrol would have to have been substituted / removed.

Have to disagree....My 17 year old jap-import Toyota Sera got fuel economy that easily covered the difference in price, was much more responsive and smoother to drive when using V-Power

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

sneakyST wrote:
    Used to be Fey but its 100 RON now
    According to the Shell UK website it's 99, not that it makes much difference.

V-power diesel, whereabouts do you get it, is it only in the UK.
    Don't think you can get it here .. I've never seen it, certainly. I've tried both that, Esso's equivalent and BP's Ultimate diesel over in the UK on long journeys and it certainly makes a difference. Purely subjectively the engine runs quieter and has a little more power, and objectively it improves fuel consumption too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

as far as i am aware, v-power is only ment to benefit jap cars that are meant to run on 100RON.

but sayin that, i have a jap import and it runs the same on normal 95 RON. no difference at all.:confused:

so if it really was that gud, wouldn't everybody who had a skyline, EVO etc use it?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

I have been looking out for premium petrol around dublin at the moment - cant believe how scarce it is - goes to show u the skin flits in this country wont even sponge an extra 5 cent for a litre of petrol!

Anyway was in germany 2 weeks ago - I noticed the shell garage had
    95 Regular
    95 V-Power
    98 Regular and
    98 V-Power

i think the latter was almost 1.69 a litre. Well I had bought the v-power a couple of times - mostly for the last banger i drove and mainly before it went for its NCT!!) I didnt notice any performance improvement - but did get the smell of rotten eggs once or twice from it!

I am looking around for that esso that sells the higher oct fuel - is it that one on monastery road? - it doesnt seem to say anything on the pump referring it to being 98 oct - i thought it was just regular!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 a1117

bjmotors wrote:
    as far as i am aware, v-power is only ment to benefit jap cars that are meant to run on 100RON.

but sayin that, i have a jap import and it runs the same on normal 95 RON. no difference at all.:confused:

so if it really was that gud, wouldn't everybody who had a skyline, EVO etc use it?;)

I drive a skyline, if your jap import runs OK on 95RON petrol then it's probably had the ECU re-mapped. I have to run my skyline on as close to 100RON petrol as I can get, because this is what the car is programmed to work on. If I use 95RON fuel then I am actually risking my engine. What could happen basically is the lower RON petrol could ignite on an open valve and blow the valve up through the head. Denser petrol has a higher compression ratio.

So what's the story then? Is V-Power 99RON in this country or just the same as ordinary unleaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

It's 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

zuutroy wrote:
    It's 95.

Bang on, all it does is clean you engine.

Here ya go....
    http://www.shell.com/static/ie-en/downloads/vpowertechleaflet.pdf

zuutroy wrote:
    It's 95.
    Not according to this ...

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=uk-en&FC2=/uk-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/zzz_lhn3_2_1.html&FC3=/uk-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/vpower_p/vpower_p_about_ga_1602.html
    If you care about your car, then Shell V-Power is the fuel for you - it's Shell's newly formulated differentiated fuel which replaces Shell Optimax.

In developing Shell V-Power we have built on the highly successful performance platform achieved with Shell Optimax. Shell V-Power is designed to provide even higher levels of performance and bring drivers further enhancements in responsiveness. The improved formulation features higher octane (99 RON), higher detergency and use of Shell's unique Friction Modification Technology, as used by the Ferrari Formula One team in its 2006 Race fuels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VPower is different in the UK. Its 95RON here!!!

kbannon wrote:
    VPower is different in the UK. Its 95RON here!!!
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

a1117 wrote:
    I drive a skyline, if your jap import runs OK on 95RON petrol then it's probably had the ECU re-mapped. I have to run my skyline on as close to 100RON petrol as I can get, because this is what the car is programmed to work on. If I use 95RON fuel then I am actually risking my engine. What could happen basically is the lower RON petrol could ignite on an open valve and blow the valve up through the head. Denser petrol has a higher compression ratio.

Correct and all cars sold in the Irish market are designed for 95 ron and running higher ron will not give any benefits to those cars. Not enough people run performance imports to sell enough higher ron petrol in this country and that's why it's not available.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@Alun - Dunno.
    Maybe its because >95RON isn't worth the marketing here, maybe its because the majority of people don't know diddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

It says 95 octane on the feckin v-power pump.

I haven't seen anything better in dublin for a few years.

I used v-power for a good while when I changed my car, but I think now it's a waste of money and my car has better mpg on statoil. (probably anything else.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

tuxy wrote:
    Correct and all cars sold in the Irish market are designed for 95 ron and running higher ron will not give any benefits to those cars. Not enough people run performance imports to sell enough higher ron petrol in this country and that's why it's not available.

Wrong there tuxy, practically any modern car will give higher power when running 97-98 etc. The ignition will not be retarded due to knock - so more power. The engine adapts automatically. Higher performance engines benefit most of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 liamfortune76

looking for vpower petrol in clonsilla (dublin 15) area! anyone know where i can get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Shell on Finglas Road has Vpower and Shell on Collins avenue from Finglas towards whitehall crossraods has Vpower too. I think there is a shell garage in Beaumont that sells Vpower too but again I think its more expensive as the first 2 Shell garages I mentioned are relatively close to Tesco garage so have to keep their prices in check.

Advertisement