Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pick and Mix

• 20-09-2005 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Is this advertised at £15 pm available here too?
    If so how much?
    Which channels are excluded?
    How many are allowed?
    Are any automatically added even if you don't want them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Here ya go CLICKY
    Down the bottom click "Choose your entertainment mixes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

time to ditch the kids mix i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Streete

Could one be so bold as to go for 1 movie package and then switch it every couple of months, therefore getting to see all the premium movies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The link above is _NOT_ a pick your own list, just an expanded version of the list of predefined "packs" they always had.

Actually it is still as annoying as when Sky Digital first started. The packages below "Family Pack" or "All six pick& mix" are often bad value.

You still need to get all the Pick&mix / fammily pack to get the approx 10 non-premium pay TV channels a typical entire household would want.

I'll stick to my 800+ FTA TV and 700+ FTA Radio ....

I've had Sky Analog and since then Sky Digital subs twice, once at start of Sky Digital in Ireland.

The digital package is still poor value compared with the Analog package days, given what is available FTA.

Also some channels e.g. ITV3 are actually poorer transmission than Analog Sat was (only 544 horizontal pixels and often artifacts).

Only nasty receivers and rusty dishes had "sparklies" on Analog Sat.

We kept the free Analog on for Channel 5 on Analog long after we got Sky Digital and then for Eurosport, MTV Germany etc. Because I have 3 Digital RX I rarely turn on the analog box now.

I think the whole thing is simply a marketing exercise rather than offering much real new choice for a household.

I look forward to the "personalised" EPG. The current situation is an insult to be always having to scroll through all the channels you don't get and would never want.

When Sky offers a _Genuine_ "pick a mix" pack for 22 Euro, I might consider renewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Really depends what you want Watty - in our house - we ditched all but the Kids and Drama packages, sub dropped from £22 to £15. When we thought about it, with News being free anyway and not being sports or movie watchers there was little we actually watched other than UKGold/Drama/FX

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I dropped kids and leisure this day two weeks ago.When they turned them off, My Tv3 went with them, 2 hours on moble 6 calls 12euros credit gone to save 4.50 a month.still no tv3 a woman was to call me 2 days ago but she hasent yet.i still have discovery real time xtra maybe the cods are messed up.My first ever problem whit sky after ten years of **** from chorus!

My ideal list of Pay TV that make all mine happy:
    UK Gold
    UK Drama
    UK ?? (forget name)
    Hallmark
    Discovery
    Animal Planet
    Nat Geographic
    (Discovery) Science

Totally NOT wanted
    Sky
    Sky Mix
    Living

Irrelevant cos similar or identical* is free eleswhere
    Eurosport
    Bloomberg*
    CNBC*
    MTV and other pay Pop Chs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

vince wrote:
    I dropped kids and leisure this day two weeks ago.When they turned them off, My Tv3 went with them, 2 hours on moble 6 calls 12euros credit gone to save 4.50 a month.still no tv3 a woman was to call me 2 days ago but she hasent yet.i still have discovery real time xtra maybe the cods are messed up.My first ever problem whit sky after ten years of **** from chorus!

what mix package do you need to get RTE's, TV3 & TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Gargantuan

Had a look at the different options and for me personally with 4 mixes and all the sport and movie channels it would save me a measley €1:50 a month , seems like its not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Variety and Knowledge mixes would do me. There are some other channels in other mixes I wouldn't mind having, but I can easily live without them. I don't want the premium movies or sports.

Now that more people are likely to downgrade, it would be nice if, as an incentive, they extended their free Sky+ subscription to the 6 Mix pack instead of the 2+ premium packages required now. It is an incentive that would work with me ;)

kaizersoze wrote:
    Here ya go CLICKY
    Down the bottom click "Choose your entertainment mixes".

The link above shows which packs include RTE/TV3/TG4

A good aerial is cheaper in long term but of course now RTE favours the Pay TV users and gives inferior 14:9 letterbox on analog due to move to 16:9 animorphic on Digital. Discracefull spending of Licence payers money when there is no FTA, FTV or any type of non-subscription Digital Irish TV.

RTE don't even get any money from Sky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

Watty, if you don't subscribe to Sky, how do you get National Geographic, Animal Planet and the Discovery channels?

JimG wrote:
    Watty, if you don't subscribe to Sky, how do you get National Geographic, Animal Planet and the Discovery channels?

I don't ....

That list is the ones I'd pay 15 Euro a month for a "Roll my own" Sky pack.
    And the ones that mustn't be in the pack.

I did get Discovery Ch. (Turkey) for a while but they switched to the East beam on 42E.

I do get CNBC, Bloomberg English, Various non-English MTV, German Eurosport, and a bunch of other more usefull FTA channels, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

It says you can pick two packs for 21 euro a month.

Is it possible to pick only one pack for less?

Advertisement