Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI Grant application

• 10-06-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hey, I applied to the SUSI grant as soon as it opened in early may and got a letter to send all my documents back about 2 weeks ago. I have sent all my documents in so now I understand its just a waiting game. Will SUSI tell me when they have received my documents? And I know its a long shot but has anyone any idea how long I will be waiting to be approved or declined? Its a new application if that makes any difference.

Any info will help :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Missovoxo

I applied on the 8th of May when it opened and got a letter on the 2nd of June. I sent in my documents too! Online its says I'm being paid the special rate top-up but its adjacent?? A wee bit confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hey, I applied to the SUSI grant as soon as it opened in early may and got a letter to send all my documents back about 2 weeks ago. I have sent all my documents in so now I understand its just a waiting game. Will SUSI tell me when they have received my documents? And I know its a long shot but has anyone any idea how long I will be waiting to be approved or declined? Its a new application if that makes any difference.

Thanks

I think there is an online tracker on their website

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Missovoxo wrote: »
    I applied on the 8th of May when it opened and got a letter on the 2nd of June. I sent in my documents too! Online its says I'm being paid the special rate top-up but its adjacent?? A wee bit confused!

Maintenance grant rates for 2014/2015
    Type Non-adjacent rate Adjacent rate
    Special rate €5,915 €2,375
    Full Maintenance €3,025 €1,215
    Part maintenance (75%) €2,270 €910
    Part maintenance (50%) €1,515 €605
    Part maintenance (25%) €755 €305

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So Missovoxo your grant amount is 2375

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ramonarosie

Thanks
    Did you ever hear back from them? I got an email by an post saying that they had signed for me documents :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ckd

I applied online on the day it opened aswell, i got a letter to send in documents which i sent back by registered post. Online it still says the status as APPLICATION SUBMITTED, nothing new??

Missovoxo that was very quick for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

I had to get in touched with them. They received my documents but told my my status online wont changed until I'm provisionally approved or refused.

Missovoxo how did you go through so quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Hi I wonder could someone give me some information about income for susi assessment. It's in relation to my fathers income. He is a paye full time employee but did some work on a part time self employed basis.

His p60 shows 30,000 income. And he earned 10,000 as a part time self employed person,however 4,000 is taken from this for expenses etc, so it's 6,000 he earned. For susi purpose do they look at the self employed part as the 10,000 or the 6,000? I'm totally confused about all this.

I would appreciate anyone's help or experiences of this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sara3305

hi all,

I'm going back to college in September for a two year course, 6000 euro each year. I was really depending on a grant, which I assumed I would get to be honest. however I received a letter yesterday informing me that my application was refused as my "household" income is too high. I live at home with my mum but I am nearly 27, she is certainly not supporting me, I actually pay her rent. also, once I start college, I won't be working at all as it's a full time course. how can they expect parents to support someone my age?! is this not ridiculous? i'm going to appeal but not sure how much good it will do. has anyone else had a similar experience?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 susidcu

Sara3305 wrote: »
    hi all,

I'm going back to college in September for a two year course, 6000 euro each year. I was really depending on a grant, which I assumed I would get to be honest. however I received a letter yesterday informing me that my application was refused as my "household" income is too high. I live at home with my mum but I am nearly 27, she is certainly not supporting me, I actually pay her rent. also, once I start college, I won't be working at all as it's a full time course. how can they expect parents to support someone my age?! is this not ridiculous? i'm going to appeal but not sure how much good it will do. has anyone else had a similar experience?

thanks!

Same happened to me, had an interview for a masters this week. I was looking forward to doing the course but then was told by SUSI i won't be getting the grant, doesn't look like i'll be doing it this year :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Can you not appeal based on a Change of Circumstances?

They probably refused you based on your 2013 income, but I am under the impression that if your reckonable income is due to change this year (e.g. no longer working due to full-time study - as is my own personal situation) they should factor this into their calculations and recalculate.

@Sara, unfortunately even if you are over 23 (Mature Student) SUSI would still view you as a Mature Dependent Student as you're living at home:
    If you were aged over 23 on the 1st of January in the year you first enter or re-enter an approved course you are a “mature student” and are classed as follows:
    If you were residing with your parents/guardians from the October prior to the year you first entered or re-entered an appoved course, you are a Mature Dependent Student and will be assessed on your own income and that of your parents/guardians.

If I were you I would still try appealing: although you will still be viewed as a Mature Dependent, as you will no longer be working come September they should be basing their calculations on your new household income (yours and your mums') or at least take this into consideration.

I STILL havent heard anything from them since I sent in my documents talk about leave you hanging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

I STILL havent heard anything from them since I sent in my documents talk about leave you hanging!!

I'm the same! I don't know if I should start being worried or not yet

squishness wrote: »
    I'm the same! I don't know if I should start being worried or not yet

Same! I'm getting frustrated by this stage.. I just want to know ha

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ckd

Has your status moved from 'application submitted'?, mine has moved from that to 'awaiting assessment' now, its been that way for two weeks!

ckd wrote: »
    Has your status moved from 'application submitted'?, mine has moved from that to 'awaiting assessment' now, its been that way for two weeks!

No!!! Mine is still on application submitted!! It hasn't changed at all.. I might ring them if I don't hear from them soon cause that's well over a month they have my documents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

susi are being a nightmare with my daughter she doesn't have a passport or id card. I spoke to a lady who said write a letter back and say we don't have any of them but received a call 4 days later saying they need passport or id card anyone know a way round this

jjll wrote: »
    susi are being a nightmare with my daughter she doesn't have a passport or id card. I spoke to a lady who said write a letter back and say we don't have any of them but received a call 4 days later saying they need passport or id card anyone know a way round this

Why do they need a passport or id card? what is the passport of id card documentary evidence for? will they accept other documentary evidence instead?

Terry Pratchet

Why do they need a passport or id card? what is the passport of id card documentary evidence for? will they accept other documentary evidence instead?

She needs to prove her nationality but she is on my passport when it was allowed 8 year ago

She needs to prove her nationality but she is on my passport when it was allowed 8 year ago

Did they not ask for her birth cert? Wouldn't that be proof of nationality?

• Advertisement

Did they not ask for her birth cert? Wouldn't that be proof of nationality?

Apparently not but im goin to photocopy my passport that she is on and send it

Apparently not but im goin to photocopy my passport that she is on and send it

her birth cert should stand as ID. They never asked me for a passport only my birth cert? did you have any luck with them?

My SUSI application says that my application is being assessed since the 11th of June.. anyone else's this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

SUSI mentioned in a comment on their Facebook page that they are backed up by a few weeks. Mine is still awaiting assessment too but that may be because I haven't gotten my exam results yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Up until yesterday mine was shown as "submitted". Got a letter off them Thurs asking for my final course acceptance so I assume I was approved and my details hadn't been updated.

Logged in yesterday and it was updated to " awaiting assessment" from may 29th. I wouldn't be worrying too much yet.

How long are people waiting for susi assesments

I applied the day it opened and still don't know if I've been approved yet

My SUSI application says that my application is being assessed since the 11th of June.. anyone else's this long?

Haven't heard anything from them since! Did you contact them at all?

Haven't heard anything from them since! Did you contact them at all?

No never got in contact with them. I'd imagine i would be wasting my time in fairness as the last time I got in contact they couldn't tell if they had received my documents or not as they were not telling applicants any of this information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I contacted them, they said after documents are received it takes 4-6 weeks for final assessment. Susi is a complete mess compared to CAO.

Advertisement