Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well with the stuff from andrei you dont have to really worry about the hairs in the vape, the group buy stuff Id be worried about alright but even then it's not even a definite that it will happen with that stuff and as yous aid once the wick is properly wet it becomes even more unlikely

you could try a mesh wick I guess :) or a hybrid mesh/silica/fibreglass wick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Ha ha......hard enough to get this right without getting into mesh wick. In fairness to the RDA it's easy enough to learn on though.

yeah, it's the definition of easy to learn hard to master :)

I wish i'd just gotten an RDA back last year instead of a lavatube, if I'd never known about variable voltage vaping I'd have stuck away trying to get this working perfectly on a fixed voltage ego.. throwing different voltages into the mix is a headache in itself
    testing some diy's atm.. and its hard to know if it's the rda, the juice, the voltage or all three that's helping/hurting each juice
    the fact that I'm some high wattage loving freak doesn't help either, currently vaping a 1.6ohm coil at five volts and loving it

Yeah, it's handy to be able to tailor the resistance alright. If you go too low even on an eGo though, wicking becomes a problem. Better to learn on this than the RTA though. I'd crack up if I had to learn all this on that. The RDA is esy to open up and throw a new coil and wick onto. The RTA looks a bit more difficult!

I spent a fortune on hardware over the last few months but this thing allows me to go through dozens of set ups very cheaply. My spending has plummeted. About time too. Vaping was costing a fortune and the juices were the cheapest part.

heh yeah, im getting more wick and wire from andrei than i'd care to admit but even then it's like.. 15 euro a month if even and im narrowing in on my perfect vape
    even when its not perfect it kicks the **** out of cartomisers, those weeks when my RDA was off with clockworks being repaired were pretty hard.. used to be a boge evangelist but once I got that RDA it was just night and day in terms of a great vape.

• Advertisement

I heated the Kanthal over a flame today prior to building a new coil. I 'think' the taste is gone and the wire seemed easier to use.

I do find with Andrei's wick that I need 3 strands at 5 turns or it will dry too quickly and give the burnt taste and I'm only using an eGo. Don't have a multimeter on me but it should be around 1.8 ohms.

Very happy with this one actually. Spent a bit of time on it.

As you well know though, I'll probably decide I could make it better later and rip it all apart again!!!

i didnt have any trouble with the wick being too dry when i was using two strands of andreis wick at ego voltages.. thats weird

maybe you're coiling too tight... or not tight enough :p

decided to take a more scientific approach to this

made a 9 turn coil with 4 strands, came to 1.9 ohms. great flavour abovce 5 volts but not much below that, even though it's producing the vapour. my guess is too many turns, taking too long to heat that much wire at the lower volts. my next 9 turn coil I'll do with 3 strands and then 2 to see if there's any difference. I seem to remember doing a similar coil ages ago with 2 strands and it gave great flavour so maybe the amount of juice held in the 4 strands of wick is cooling the coil down too much over its entire surface area.

shame todays a bank holiday, found a chunk of the wick andrei had before so i wont run out any time soon but I dont know if its enough to warrant further experimentation.. might run the risk of going a bit mad and running out before wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Does either Kanthal or the fibreglass wick have a taste? I'm struggling to create the same clean flavour as I got with the nichrome wire and group buy wick. There's always a king of background taste that I can't seem to get rid of.

I didn't use a lighter on the wire cos I don't have one - must buy one - but does that affect the taste?

Also the background taste I get is very like the taste I got with the iMist I think.

The different wicks have a taste alright, i got a taste off the stuff Andrei has now which i did'nt like. The stuff he first had was better imo so i got 20 metres of that which will last me a long time.

heh yeah, im getting more wick and wire from andrei than i'd care to admit but even then it's like.. 15 euro a month if even and im narrowing in on my perfect vape

One ya have the set up right you won't be buying 10 metres a month :D
    That's a lot of wick your using, just dry it and use the other end to put the coil on. After a few days use it won't be as good, but your only testing so it fine to use again.

Done a repair earlier, 4 strands of wick, 6 turns .20 Nichrome, coil in centre of the wick as i think it's wicking better this way. Seems to be a dry spot on the end close to the coil the other way.
    I put the coil on the same side as the solder tag.

Seems to be much better.

coil on the same side as the solder?
    you changing stufff for the sake of it or was there some reason :)

also 4 strands on both sides... would that not take like.. half a metre of wick?

• Advertisement

coil on the same side as the solder?
    you changing stufff for the sake of it or was there some reason :)

also 4 strands on both sides... would that not take like.. half a metre of wick?

Always did on the same side as the solder, just thought it better for the wick sitting on the base.

It be around 20 cms of wick, will do one with tails next time still keeping the coil in the centre.

Will give it a few more days and see how i get on.
    Feels like the vape is too clean or something, a bit too smooth for my liking.
    I prefer the bite out of the eGo vision at the moment, tight draw but will do what Green Hornet suggested about that.

I've done a few with the coil at one end and I think they've all been dry pretty quickly at the short side. Going to keep it centred from now on.

Did any of you ever try the other wick linked on Clockworks website?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Did any of you ever try the other wick linked on Clockworks website?

I've been mainly using Heaven's Gift wick and it's grand. Used Bulli and Andrei's too without any problems.

For some reason I get a taste off Andrei's wick. Then again, I hated the carto taste when I used cartos too. Maybe I'm just sensitive to taste!

Might try some of the HG stuff then.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

This guy also does wick:

http://www.cig-eliquid.co.uk/

He also does an excellent RY4 concentrate if you mix your own juice

I have 20 metres of Heavens Gift wick that i'd sell for €11 if anyones wants it.

derra wrote: »
    I have 20 metres of Heavens Gift wick that i'd sell for €11 if anyones wants it.

How does that compare to Andrei's wick Derra? I'd buy it if I thought it would be any different at all?

I already have about 9.5 meters of Andrei's wick left though so I dont want to end up with 30m of the same wick!

I actually tried another using the group buy stuff and to be honest, I dont think it was much different to Andre's stuff and when I had a look at the wick I saw how "shardy" it is..........hundreds of little shards all over it so I dont think I'd want to be inhaling that stuff.

For the next one using Andre's wick I soaked the new length of wick in alcohol before assembling into a coil and I "think" the background taste is gone!

I did'nt like the HG wick GH, it's very hard or something and does'nt seem to absorb the juice. A lot of people like it though, so it's just a matter of user preference if you like it or not.

Never tried soaking Andreis wick in alcohol, only got a sample of the stuff he is selling now but if it works, great.
    I would prep it with a hot blue flame before soaking in alcohol or not.

Never tried the flame on it either. Must try that too. It's definitely a much cleaner vape after the wash though.

In fairness, when you look at the 2 wicks side by side, that group buy stuff looks really, really hairy. After reading some stuff about shedding shards last week I think I'll stay away from it anyway.

• Advertisement

decided to dig out the lavatube today rather than constantly have to change rdas over to test stuff

decided to test the same rda on both throathit and the lavatube. both running at 5.3v on a 2.8ohm coil tested with my multimeter..
    the draw and flavour seem far better on the lavatube.
    I was thinking fair enough to the draw.. I guess maybe the 510 connector is fitting with the connector on the RDA (I used the 510 connector on the throathit, and I screwed in a 510-ego connector to test them both.. lavatube better both times) but then .. the only air hole on the RDA is the one on the side
    if you block that.. there's no airflow.. it doesnt come through the bottom, so now i'm confused as hell about how the draw is better/easier on the LT.. and the flavour thing is just confusing the **** out of me. I guess it could be in my head as the black RDA does look excellent on the LT.. same dimensions/colour so maybe I'm just lying to myself.. but I can't explain the easier draw at all

only thing I can think is my meter is wrong? and the lavatube is actually running at a slightly higher voltage than the TH? even though they both come out the same on the meter...
    is puzzling

4.2 v on the box mod i had is a lot different to the 4.2 v on the Twist.
    All PV's perform differently.

Someone will come up with a better explanation though.

yeah but if they're metering out at the same voltage measured through the posts on the RDA.. surely it should be the same

most likely answer is it was all in my head, there's no real way to account for how hard you're drawing on it or maybe even the angle i was holding it at was affecting the airflow or something stupid like that

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

decided to dig out the lavatube today rather than constantly have to change rdas over to test stuff

decided to test the same rda on both throathit and the lavatube. both running at 5.3v on a 2.8ohm coil tested with my multimeter..
    the draw and flavour seem far better on the lavatube.
    I was thinking fair enough to the draw.. I guess maybe the 510 connector is fitting with the connector on the RDA (I used the 510 connector on the throathit, and I screwed in a 510-ego connector to test them both.. lavatube better both times) but then .. the only air hole on the RDA is the one on the side
    if you block that.. there's no airflow.. it doesnt come through the bottom, so now i'm confused as hell about how the draw is better/easier on the LT.. and the flavour thing is just confusing the **** out of me. I guess it could be in my head as the black RDA does look excellent on the LT.. same dimensions/colour so maybe I'm just lying to myself.. but I can't explain the easier draw at all

only thing I can think is my meter is wrong? and the lavatube is actually running at a slightly higher voltage than the TH? even though they both come out the same on the meter...
    is puzzling

Try taking the 510 silver connection off the throathit and cleaning the original brass connection underneath that. You might need to wrap a tissue around it and twist it gently with a plyers to get it off. I did that a couple of weeks ago and there was a nice bit of juice under the silver part and on the brass one and I think it made a big difference after I cleaned it. I'm almost but not totally sure the brass one is well sealed and no liquid can get down into the workings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

yeah but if they're metering out at the same voltage measured through the posts on the RDA.. surely it should be the same

most likely answer is it was all in my head, there's no real way to account for how hard you're drawing on it or maybe even the angle i was holding it at was affecting the airflow or something stupid like that

There all different I did a test there during the week. I tried the ego twist the throat hit and the Vmax with the same sub tank juice and 2ohm boge carto one after the other at different voltage each time from about 3 volts right up to 4volts and there was a completely different vape off them all on each setting. The winner and nicest smoothest vape was the throathit by far.
    The twist was good but seemed lacking a small bit in power, the Vmax was too powerful and the throathit felt just like it should be.

Try not taking as much notice of what voltage your using and dial up slowly until you find your sweetspot, thats what works for me anyways.

I put a small square of cotton wool from a cotton wool wipe in my RDA. I put it on the empty side of the chamber and it doesn't touch the coil but is not far away either, just sitting on the wick. Soaked up a ton of juice. I've vaped the hell out of it for a few minutes and the RDA is vaping like a champ! The wool is still soaking as well.

The fact that it's not touching the coil should mean it's safe........shouldn't it??

well if it's soaking up juice its not likely to catch on fire

is it affecting the flavour at all?

only thing id be wondering is if the wool is treated with any chemicals

Won't go on fire cos it's not too near the coil and it's wet as hell.

Not sure whether it's treated or not but I'll use it for the moment and wash with alcohol tomorrow. It's great. Holds a ton of juice and no loose juice in the chamber.

Actually saw some threads where people are rolling wicks with it on ECF believe it or not!

yeah theres a couple of threads on ukvapers about it too, they say the flavour is great but you have to keep it wet at all times or it burns real fast

some people are using gauze as a filler as well and as a wick and cheesecloth as a wick

lots of options there if experimentation is your thing :)

• Advertisement

Flavour isn't affected at all.

It's not near the coil so it shouldn't burn. It's helping the wicking too I think cos the juice doesn't have to travel as far.

Of course, I might decide it's **** tomorrow and think of something else to try.

Hate the thoughts of the juice sloshing around in my pocket.

Advertisement