Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th (delete as appropriate)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

BERBA wrote: »
    chelski winning the champions league and us finishing 4th ...we'd be out:eek:

christ they won't , will they?

need barca and real to sort em:D

Not a fcuking hope in hell. Hope they get Barca and they will sort them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

OP - please rename to 'the race for 4th place' as its the only one thats appropriate from here on in.

Incidently, I dont use the soccer forum (ever) but I read their own 'race for 4th place' thread last night.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056391861

Talk about depressing. Just go back to the comments that are 3-4 weeks old, ( or even 2 weeks old) and even the cynics of the soccer thread had us as a shoe-in for 3rd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah it's crap. I don't think any of us would have thought we'd go through the last 4 games and only get 1 point, and that Arsenal would win each game and on more than one occasion winning the game in the last few minutes! After this weekend we will most likely be 4 points behind Arsenal, and although our supposedly tough games are gone, I can't see us catching up as they're on fire now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just thinking lads that if we do finish fourth we'll face a CL qualifier. I think I'm correct in saying that we won't be able to play our home leg within 100 (?) miles of London, can anyone confirm, or indeed rubbish, this? Because of the Olympics btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

THFC wrote: »
    Just thinking lads that if we do finish fourth we'll face a CL qualifier. I think I'm correct in saying that we won't be able to play our home leg within 100 (?) miles of London, can anyone confirm, or indeed rubbish, this? Because of the Olympics btw.

Think the closing ceremony of the Olympics is the 12th of August, CL qualifiers are usually the 2nd or 3rd week in August so i cant see it being an issue.

• Advertisement

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Think the closing ceremony of the Olympics is the 12th of August, CL qualifiers are usually the 2nd or 3rd week in August so i cant see it being an issue.
    Cheers, it was mentioned on the SF a while back, just wanted to check whether is was actually true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Taarabt 1-0 OPR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

I ****ING LOVE QPR :)

Chelski drawing, who'd have thought Villa had it in them.

Scowly face Wenger, get in.

• Advertisement

Race for second lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

The race for 3rd continues, massive game tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well that's a pretty good result, shame Villa couldn't hang on for the draw but we win tomorrow and we're still 5 points ahead. Win tomorrow by 3 or more and we go into 3rd again. Not too shabby!

We still have to go to QPR though - let's hope they do us a favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Thank you QPR!

SuprSi wrote: »
    Well that's a pretty good result, shame Villa couldn't hang on for the draw but we win tomorrow and we're still 5 points ahead. Win tomorrow by 3 or more and we go into 3rd again. Not too shabby!

We still have to go to QPR though - let's hope they do us a favour!

We still have to win tomorrow but with the games arsenal have coming up, dare we dream the impossible dream of 3rd place again.

Tell you something else. Our game against QPR is going be a tight one too!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not ruling out 3rd yet. Jesus it would be sweet to take it off them. Chelsea might go on a run after that today, hopefully Benifica knock them down and kill their season.

Here is a question, what would you prefer?:

3rd or 4th and the cup?

For me sadly it's 3rd all day long.

3rd, provided Arsenal finished at best 4th, all the livelong day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm not ruling out 3rd yet. Jesus it would be sweet to take it off them. Chelsea might go on a run after that today, hopefully Benifica knock them down and kill their season.

Here is a question, what would you prefer?:

3rd or 4th and the cup?

For me sadly it's 3rd all day long.

Nothing to be sad about. 3rd means we beat arsenal. That's more important than the cup. Hell I'd take 5th if they were 6th

Nothing to be sad about. 3rd means we beat arsenal. That's more important than the cup. Hell I'd take 5th if they were 6th

So sad to see this, 5th is worth nothing and I value Spurs more than I care where the goons finish. I say cup and 4th before 3rd all day long, glory is in the trophies not in finsihing above them. I am disappointed that people would choose 3rd to be honest :(

Sorry but this is grinding my gears, how can 3rd in the league be more important than winning a trophy, this club is built on winning and cup tradition. COYS!!!!!!!!!!!

I sometimes wonder what football is about???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I understand where youre coming from. It's just the season that's in it. For years arsenal have been the dominant club and we've had to put up with the stick and slagging off that came with it. This year we've had not only a glimpse of being better than them but we were that far ahead and playing so much better football that we were widely accepted and acknowledged as such. The mocking and slagging stopped. My gooner mates no longer went around smirking etc

Fast forward a few weeks and it's back to that arsenal superiority and it's even worse because of the gap we had on them. So for me beating arsenal this year is my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

4th and the cup all day long

il have a cup please bob.

THFC wrote: »
    3rd, provided Arsenal finished at best 4th, all the livelong day.

Same here.

Any other season however and I'd have taken then 4th and the cup. but this season is different

Firstly - I'm just feel sour about the way we have lost 3rd and Arsenal have overtaken us. I dunno, but i feel like they have stolen 3rd place form us (which is rubbish of course they are there on merit).

Secondly, we have been 3rd for so much of the season that finishing 4th (regardless of who finished above us) would feel very anti-climatic.

Lastly - that is a poor arsenal team, and to finish below them - well what does that say about us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Have a bit of optimism lads !

3rd and the cup will do me just fine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Emoran wrote: »
    Have a bit of optimism lads !

3rd and the cup will do me just fine.

That's the spirit :)

Right final stretch ahead, below are the remaining games for those going for 3rd/4th, I think Chelsea need to hit serious run because they have some sticky games to say the least. We need Arsenal to loose to Chelsea/City at the very least. Gonna be entertaining anyway . Who would have thought it after the City game back in August.

Arsenal
    City
    Wolves
    Wigan
    Chelsea
    Stoke
    Norwich
    West From

Chelsea

Wigan
    Fulham
    Arsenal
    QPR
    Newcastle
    Liverpool
    Blackburn

Newcastle(I really can't believe they are still in it,fair play to them)
    Swansea
    Bolton
    Stoke
    Wigan
    Chelsea
    City
    Everton

Spurs
    Sunderland
    Norwich
    QPR
    Blackburn
    Bolton
    Villa
    Fulham

Massive weekend ahead. Id expect Utd to beat QPR at home, putting them 8 clear of City before the Arsenal game, i fear that might just knock the fight out of City and Arsenal will get a confidence boosting win?.

Also we will have played before the Arsenal game so they will know exactly what they need to do to stay third. An away win t Sunderland would be feicing HUGE at this stage of the season!

Strong midfield needed for Saturday. Sunderland have some nasty players in their ranks. Really not looking forward to this game, its televised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Four of us in the race now... Hopefully City do us a favour today!

Advertisement