Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BUYING A RUBBER WHEELED DIGGER

• 19-04-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Diggers in general seem to be very scarce but have come across a 1988 case 580 k 4wd, digger, dont know much about diggers but told its has a leak in the ram but going anf digging well.
    Anyone able to tell me what they think of these machines and what to look out for

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

kincaid wrote: »
    Diggers in general seem to be very scarce but have come across a 1988 case 580 k 4wd, digger, dont know much about diggers but told its has a leak in the ram but going anf digging well.
    Anyone able to tell me what they think of these machines and what to look out for

thanks

Good machines, sameilar as a Cat 428 - very heavy for the size, so soft ground is an incompatibility. I drove a Cat one for ages and loved it, very solid, stable machines with bags of power. Case stuff is well screwed together, just make sure the motor is sound and bear in mind the magic 9000 hrs rule.

This being the internet, some noun will be along to say the opposite in a minute and find some fault with what I've said, but if it was me, and the machine was sound, I'd have one over a JCB and I've had both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Good machines, sameilar as a Cat 428 - very heavy for the size, so soft ground is an incompatibility. I drove a Cat one for ages and loved it, very solid, stable machines with bags of power. Case stuff is well screwed together, just make sure the motor is sound and bear in mind the magic 9000 hrs rule.

This being the internet, some noun will be along to say the opposite in a minute and find some fault with what I've said, but if it was me, and the machine was sound, I'd have one over a JCB and I've had both.

We had one for about ten years and couldn't fault it , as stravos said they are heavy and will leave a good track in wet land . But it was pretty reliable . A 1988 machine of any make will have a few leaks so I wouldn't worry much about that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

what is the 9000 hrs rule?

I believed these engines have turbo too

what is the 9000 hrs rule?

I believed these engines have turbo too

It's the point when they are utterly, irredeemably shagged and have their work done, no matter what anyone tells you. Hammond Lane beckons, or a big bill..

ok anyone able to tell me roughly what one of these are worth that's going well,
    its 1988

• Advertisement

ok anyone able to tell me roughly what one of these are worth that's going well,
    its 1988

We got 4.5 k for ours and it was well worked at that stage . Everything worked but it was well ate with rust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

What ya be using it for?

moy83 wrote: »
    We got 4.5 k for ours and it was well worked at that stage . Everything worked but it was well ate with rust

is that long back as believe they are up in price as hard to get any sort of digger at present it seems

is that long back as believe they are up in price as hard to get any sort of digger at present it seems

export has them all gone. Like hens teeth. I bought a 3 ton yanmar a while back just cos I reckon decent metal will be scarce in years to come. Only the dross remains..

That was about a year ago . It might have been a g instead of k if that makes a difference . Its hard to find any kind of machine alright , the father is on the lookout for a 12 ton track machine and the choices aren't great within a 10k budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 grabtruck

Stay away, buy a jcb brand, family business for over 40 yrs, jcb better Digger, in everyway and it will sell a lot quicker if u need to get rid at a later stage and hold there value

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mickmonmore

Hi All, I'm new to this boards.ie ...... I'm looking to buy a service manual for Atlas 604 mini digger can anyone point me in the right direction....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mickmonmore

Or if anyone knows where to fill the hydraulic fuel in an Atlas 604...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Or if anyone knows where to fill the hydraulic fuel in an Atlas 604...

Frank Medforth Ellifoot Lane
    Burstwick
    Hull
    North Humberside
    HU12 9EF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

thanks

gearboxes are meant to be soft in them, there was a gear that used to go in the back end that left you with no drive but you could put the 4wd drive on and drive it on the front axel.
    We had a 580k which gave up like that , she was parked up for a few years and a load of people called looking to see if we were scrapping it do they could get gearbox parts. ours was exported in the end.

Advertisement